55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 51 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 12:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Re:

Thats what my dad says, lol. See, the upholstery was done several years ago, it just looks brand new though. There was ALWAYS a seat cover on it, never sat in the seat without one. Of course the frame is scratched in spots but if I find someone around here who's looking to put it in another old vehicle, they'll appreciate that it has the original frame. (I think anyways) I'd rather sell it to someone who's gonna use it to restore an old one than some punk who wants a seat cheaper than at the store.

Lets see, I've put the new ignition switch on. Works great, just haven't put it in the dash yet. We're waiting to do that because we're going to build a "shelf" for the radio (cd deck as dad calls it) I could mount it in the dash, but I'm already modifying this truck so much, I'd rather not mess up the original frame/body work.

The interior of my truck was red when Dad and I got it. We re-painted it with black. I know the dash, I want to keep black (only I'll get the glossy stuff this time) ..I want to have chrome accent parts (knobs etc.) some stuff will have to be hand painted with chrome coloring which is fine, I dont plan on ever selling my baby. Any other ideas? I dont know if that IS what I want to do, it's just a thought. I honestly dont know about the rest of the cab. The floor is going to have new auto carpet and mats.

Question:
What should I do with the roof/around the windows and around the back window. I'm toying with two Ideas; either paint it to match the interior - or - since the inside is mostly custom anyways, cloth? Like a ...oh what's it called...headliner? I'm not sure what it's called or how to explain...basically I'm thinking of black or dark grey cloth..?

L8er, thanks for the help!
Crystal

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

ApacheAngel everything on the dash can be replaced with chrome.Here are a few pictures of my interior.I mounted factory replacement chrome speaker boxes above the visors and made a ring out of particle board and mounted Kappa infinity 4x6 185 watt speakers in them.I went with a replacement head liner and new visors.I have all the chrome knobs on the dash.I put a custom audio in dash AM FM Cassette with a remote 10 CD player.The radio controls the CD player and it has chrome knobs so it looks like the stock radio.I mounted the amps and the cd player under the seat and I set a speaker box with 8 inch JL Audio speakers on the gas tank behind the seat. As you can see it looks stock inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0084 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	21437   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1388 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	144
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	21438   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1389 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	21439   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1390 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	144
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	21440  
Old 05-27-2007, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

RE: doubledick's truck

Just a question, where did you get the seat that's in your truck?
Old 05-27-2007, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

Tailgate latches

Whats everyone using for latches to keep your tailgate closed IF your not using the stock chains and hooks ???????????
Gene
Old 05-27-2007, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

Hmm, another question.

As I mentioned before, I have a 59 Apache. She's a 1 ton. Just put bucket seats in. Doing lots of interior work. Turns out only 2 of my 6" woofers are good there are 4 more but 2 are torn and 1 is blown! So, looks like I'll be replacing the 4 with a newer set of 6"ers. My question is...what else can I do sound system wise? I'm having trouble when I switch from Genre to genre. Ie: Jan and Dean sounds great on one setting, then if I switch to my hard rock/metal, that sounds aweful and I have to do major adjusting. I like my reciever, do I need an external equalizer and better speakers or..? I've never had to set up a system, dad's always taken care of it but I want this to sound good for a range of music. I listen to everything from Gospel to heavy metal.

What are you guys running? How does it work for switching genre's?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

Hey Guys
Did a little more work on the truck. My right front fender was in pretty bad shape so I thought I'd experiment on it. The po filled any damage their was with body filler even if it was a rust hole. Seeing as I have a lot of trouble leaving well enough alone I decided to take out the bump out that holds the front blinker. Thinking of putting recessed ones in the front bumper. I found some for the rear that I like. You can see them here.
http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/PS-Taillights.html
Hope I can find some I like for the front.
Kim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RF Fender #1.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	21504   Click image for larger version

Name:	RF Fender #2.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	21505   Click image for larger version

Name:	RF Fender #3.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	21506   Click image for larger version

Name:	RF Fender #4.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	21507   Click image for larger version

Name:	RF Fender #5.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	21508  

Old 05-29-2007, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

Kim It is coming along nicely.I like your choice of lights ApacheAngle A visonik V207sx amp is about $125 from Crutchfeild.It will run 2 8 inch speakers with 150 Watts per channel and 2 4x6 speakers with 25 watts per channel.Mine sounds good if I play country or classic rock.It is cheap way to start your system and you can upgrade as you can afford to I finished the drivers side windows the passenger will have to wait till this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scan0002 (709 x 1099).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	21529   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0309 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	21530   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0310 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	21531  
Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Wow Kim it looks great! Looks like the bump was never there.

DD I assume you are rebuilding the wing windows as you put on your power Windows. How is the kit working? Do you have any binding or does the motor sound like it is being taxed? I hope to put power windows in some day also.....I just will be happy to get back to work on the truck!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheAngel
As I mentioned before, I have a 59 Apache. She's a 1 ton. Just put bucket seats in. Doing lots of interior work. Turns out only 2 of my 6" woofers are good there are 4 more but 2 are torn and 1 is blown! So, looks like I'll be replacing the 4 with a newer set of 6"ers. My question is...what else can I do sound system wise? I'm having trouble when I switch from Genre to genre. Ie: Jan and Dean sounds great on one setting, then if I switch to my hard rock/metal, that sounds aweful and I have to do major adjusting. I like my reciever, do I need an external equalizer and better speakers or..? I've never had to set up a system, dad's always taken care of it but I want this to sound good for a range of music. I listen to everything from Gospel to heavy metal.

What are you guys running? How does it work for switching genre's?
Apache Angel...all I know is how to turn on the radio.......your way ahead of me.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

Me = Sad

Restoration/upgrading has come to a hault. Nobody wants to buy my bench seat so I have no more money to work with. The things I plan on doing, I kinda need money!

I cant (more like won't) bolt down the bucket seats until I get the new carpeting done. Kind of pointless if you ask me since I want to do a full floor thing. My stereo sounds like crap because I'm running on a 6 woofer set up but only 2 1/2 are working.

Things I need to get ASAP so I won't go crazy:

Auto carpeting *preferrably black or dark grey*
Seat covers *this will be fixed on friday*
4 new speakers with at LEAST 150w output each *I need 6" rounders*
Equalizer
New steering wheel *possibly able to get this on Friday also*
Black paint paint for interior paintjob
Last but not least:
One order of sanity. To go.

Anyone know of places to call around Modesto *or within 50 miles* that would give a fair price for the original seat to an apache? I mean, I want to get my stuff. Now. But I'm not gonna settle for crap either. If the person doesnt know what they're getting and thinks its "just a seat" They don't need to have it IMHO.

Grumpily awake:
Crystal
L8er!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

DD...it looks like the jets are marked 120 on both primary and secondary...I had to use a magnifying glass to look at them. Like I said it has been years since I tore a carb apart. I would really like to make this one work due to the cost of it. So if it is salvageable I'll keep it

Angel,
You could mock up your bucket seats and see where the attachment points will need to be and possible make a riser for them. I know my buckets will need a riser under them. I plan on using that area for my radio. (I 'll be calling on you for help there.) As far as the order of sanity you need just look up..
Old 05-30-2007, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Re:

I'll be glad to help in any way I can. My dad shows me most of the stuff as I go, but he's not too healthy and can't, let me rephrase that, SHOULDN'T get out there and do stuff in the heat. *He just had triple bypass last June*.

Seats: We're going to have to make new mounting brackets/make the seat fit. Y'know the to..."bumps" that the bench seat mounts right on? Well, my buckets actually only sit about 1/4" onto those. Front AND back. So we're trying to make it fit WITHOUT raising it. I'm 5'10, not very tall, but when you consider that I have the leggs of a person who Is 5'3, you should get the picture that I'm sittin up there pretty high. Torso is lots longer. Plus the headroom in my truck is shortened a little because of the speaker setup.

See, dad and I hate it when ppl have a great stereo, but don't mount it right and it vibrates horribly when you go down the road. Problem solved in my truck.

Granted, the bolts are going through the roof, but keep in mind there are cosmetic ways to fix this. Anyways. He took plywood, cut out 6, round holes for 6'' woofers. Slipped them inside those. Then he covered the other side with that red/dark red fabric in my pics from before. It's upholstery material so it's got 1/4" padding too. He folded that around and made a nice panel of speakers. Now, he took two bolts and ran them through the board up into the roof of the truck. When the speakers bump around, the panel adjusts itself. Since it's suspended, it can move semi-freely. The panel shakes around, so the truck doesn't!

Doin girl stuff today -
Crystal
Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Gator the biggest jets listed in my manual are .116 which is 3 stages rich on the secondary jets of a 750 cfm carb.You will have to jet that down to run on your small block.If the carb has no vacuum ports it may be a marine carb.that would explain the extremely rich jetting.Use the chart for model #1411 on your carp post in the engines section to select the proper main jets and metering rods. it also lists the stock jetting for the secondaries.Gator I did not install power windows.I just replaced all the seals and put in the green tinted glass.

Last edited by DOUBLEDICK; 05-30-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

Gator I just checked your post in the engine section.Go check it out
Old 06-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Truckin' it up!!!

Last photo:

Just figured I'd check in and say that my Apache is now driveable!!! It's far from completed. I still need to buy the wood bed and the interior is still junked out. I did get the CPP Power steering conversion installed and it works just fine! Here's a little video of the re-birth of a classic: Click HERE

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.