55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 53 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 07:29 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey everybody, haven't posted in a while. That rebuilt (really, this time) Muncie is doing fine, but DD you're not the only one that needed a ride on the flatbed. Today I had some ignition problems, it has happened before but not in a long time, I considered it fixed until today. I have come to the conclusion that instead of fixing this one problem (again), I am just going to take all the wiring out and redo all of it. I will probably just scrape up some money and buy a kit; I read about American Autowire's Highway 15 kit in the June issue of Classic Trucks, seems like it would do well for me. That original wiring has been in there way too long, and the "modifications" done to the wires by previous owners do not help, I'm sure. I need a good size project anyway now that school's out. Speaking of burnouts, at the Memphis Motorsports Park they have contests now and then, the winning prize is usually a pair of new tires.

Good luck everybody
-Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 10:40 AM

Last journal entry: projest '56 fatfender
Last photo:

Bitten off more than I can chew?

Hey everybody, how's it goin'? I have a 57 3100 that I started to dismantle and now it is down to the frame and I have all my donor parts laying around the garage waiting to go in. I thought I'd start at the front with the IFS install. I have a '78 camaro IFS and I bought the video from 'No Limit Engineering' on how to install camaro IFS. I am not a certified welder but I have a couple buzz boxes and thought I could at least tack the IFS on then hire a certied welder to finish the job. Well as I stare at my bare frame I am nervous about cutting it, with the ever present thought (what if I screw up?) I need some help getting past these jitters, what did you guys do? I also would like to start a journal and include pics I have taken so far but I dont know how. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks
Old 06-19-2007, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

Hey , Matt
Glad to hear your Muncie is working good for you now , more fun now also
Years ago when I did another 57 Chevy pu I rewired it with a Ron Francis Wire Works kit and rewired the whole truck , it was the neatest thing since sliced bread , and I am wiring illiterate. I intend to use another Wire Works kit on the 57 I have now.
Gene
Old 06-19-2007, 05:49 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

Hey Gene, I haven't decided which wiring setup to buy yet. The Sept. issue of Ol' Skool Rodz also has a rewire article, this time with a '59 Edsel and a Painless "12 Circuit Universal Streetrod Harness". They liked it. Do you remember which Ron Francis system you used? I looked at their products, the "GM Powered Express Wiring" looks real nice but it's more than I'd like to spend. Of course I don't want to be cheap and buy crap. The truck needs to be done before August. I can wait for a while and make some more money, but I don't want to be in a rush at the end of the summer to get it done.

By the way, rode on a tow truck for the second day in a row, with dad's brand new Dodge Ram 2500. Has the new 6.7 Cummins with 2200 miles on it. Took it to the dealer, hoping to have it fixed tomorrow.
-Matt
Old 06-19-2007, 05:53 PM

Last photo:

Welcome to the site flyinv55
I'm not familiar with the video on installing a camaro sub frame. I have a 67 chevelle clip on the front of my 57. If you go to the 1st page of this thread post #2 has a link to some pics of it. The best advice I can give is to have everything level and well marked out before you do any cutting. Measure, measure, measure. I see no problem with you tacking it and having somebody else finish it up. Good luck with your build.
Kim
Old 06-19-2007, 05:55 PM
zim@Eagle Mi.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan593
Here's the engine pic DD...Thx for the comments!
Lovely engine. I try to keep mine almost that clean. I note the cleaning rag on the radiator
Old 06-19-2007, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

Matt
If I remember right it was around 1982 when I rewired my 57, when I contacted Ron Francis they wanted to know what it was I was working on , engine and trans , a diagram of my dash layout and other things asked on a questionaire and I filled in the blanks and the wiring harness was made up for my truck. It had a 455 Olds motor turbo 400 trans with late 70's 4x4 running gear in it. They asked things like what side of the engine is the starter on, on an Olds its on the oppisite side as a Chevrolet.
All I had to do was string it out and plug it in
Gene
Old 06-19-2007, 11:03 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

Thanks for the help Gene. Looked some more at Wire Works stuff, the Bare Bonz system might be in my price range. I would think having a harness made would cost too much for me. I still wouldn't mind saving some money and using that Painless kit. I have seen/read a lot about both companies, the Hotrodders Company Reviews section gives both companies 5 stars. I think I will go with Painless, simply for the lower price. I was hoping to also upgrade my distributor this summer as well; I might be able to pull that off. I make my money with my dad doing lawn work as his side job, and lack of rain around here slows down the yard work, and then slows down my money.
-Matt
Old 06-20-2007, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Kim I have 2 short videos of the burn outs my wife took with her camera.If you PM me your email address i will email them to you.Flyinv55 Tom Meyer did a camero front end on his 57.Page 1 post 10 has the link to his site with pictures.He will answer any questions you have.Just ask him.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Matt,
Look at the ez wiring stuff too. http://www.ezwiring.com/

Check out http://alanhorvath.com/54chevy/ezwire_day1.php

Allan Horvath is a member here and goes by the name horvath. He is a great guy and can help with your wiring stuff. He hangs out in the interior forum now that he is doing his upholstery. I bought an ez wiring kit but have not installed it yet.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:01 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

Thanks very much Gator, checked out EZ Wiring and their prices are awesome, compared to what I've been looking at so far. Definitely fits my budget. I have been to Horvath's site before looking at other stuff but haven't seen the wiring part before. It will be a big help. I looked at the wiring in my truck more in-depth, and I guess somebody before me really did a lot of messing with it. It appears that somehow the fuse panel is not even hooked up/working. I don't know what they did, but the wiring should have been one of our first things done. I'm lucky the thing hasn't caught on fire or something!
-Matt
Old 06-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:

Super Cool thread...
Seems like I stopped coming to this forum and then all of you 55-59 lovers came out of the woodwork and put this together! Awesome.

I've got a 1957 that I purchased when I was in the Marine Corps...used the money that was given to me and my wife for our Wedding! UH OH. Truck was originally from Texas. Didn't look too bad and I fell in love with it sitting on the side of the road.

Took auto shop in high school and my dad used to have a Chevelle and a 79 Monza that he tossed a built 350 into...so I've always been a fan of cool cars.

Anyhow, bought this thing and started tearing into it...not really knowing what I was getting myself into. Haven't worked on it in quite some time actually because I took on too much at once and became overwelmed. Not to mention having 2 kids and the regular bills to pay has made it less of a priority.

The plan for this thing is a 454...which means I'll have to do something to the front suspension. Didn't really want to go with the aftermarket x-member but I may have to. I think I have some pictures in my journal of my shotty-work.

Now I finally understand why it's usually the older guys that have the coolest cars. These things don't happen overnight.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

Ignore this, sorry...
-Matt

Last edited by ChevApache59; 06-21-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

Unstable I was looking at your pictures.You have a lot of work to do.The truck is worth the time and trouble so keep us posted on your progress. Gator glad to have you back.Did the surgery work out OK?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 AM

flyinv55 - go to jalopyjournal.com, click on HAMB link at top page, register or sign in , then search for camaro front clip. a guy name Lux Blue has a thread on installing a front clip that is awesome! i am mid-way through it now and simple to do it the way he shows. just measure a bunch!

chevapache59 - tons wiring kits out there. beware that some of the "cheaper" ones are just that - cheaper price/cheaper materials. some use very small feed wires and connectors that may not handle the loads you use. read up on the web about relays and use them to take the load off as much as you can if you use a cheaper brand. also, keep your eyes open on the web ads and evilbay - i bought a ron francis nice, deluxe sort of kit that retailed for almost $600 [due to the guys add ons / kits / and accessories] for $200. deals are out there just keep your eyes open.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.