55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 57 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 02:13 PM
zim@Eagle Mi.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator412
Matt...very cool to get the truck running. Glad to hear all the wiring came out good. Now I can call upon you when I do my 55 with my ez wiring kit!
great, come to Michigan and help me too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevApache59
Just an update...it's alive! I got the truck fired up just a little while ago. Made my day; it's been a long time since I heard it run. I can tell it starts and runs better already. I had the distributor hooked up to the wrong side of the resistor, for one thing. It rained a lot around here today and it's supposed to tomorrow as well, so I should have some more time to work on the lights tomorrow. Man, I needed this burst of motivation! I'm looking forward to putting my money into something else on this truck. I don't know what yet, but I'll be glad when I'm done wiring it.
-Matt
Rear traction bars(Brothers trucks part # RTB5559) are a good upgrade and improve the handling by stooping(spring wrap) the truck from squatting when you accelerate.It is an easy bolt on install.You just bolt in the brackets on the rearend.Attach the bars and the front mounts.Clamp the mount in place and use the bolt holes as a template to drill the holes in the frame and put the bolts in the holes.They will cost about $250 but the difference in the way it drives is as much an improvement as the front sway bar.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:16 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

Thanks DD, I could probably use those traction bars. I spun the wheels once coming into the school parking lot and had a lot of wheel hop. I didn't realize that they would make that much of a difference driving the truck.

Gazim and Gator...Haha I will help with what I can, but I am no authority on the subject/job. The EZ kit is fairly straightforward, the fact that each wire says where it's supposed to go is a huge help. If I could've seen EZ's different kits in person before buying, I probably would have gone with their more basic 12 circuit kit. The 21 circuit kit that I bought contains a whole lot more wiring than I need, like A/C, power door locks, power windows, power antenna, and several other things that I will probably never have (all I have is just a stereo). I don't even have the heater hooked up. If you have a late model GM tilt column it will be easier for you. There are connectors built in with the kit for this type of column ignition switch, and they give you two different plastic connectors to use with the other column wiring (signals, horn,etc). Since my truck is still pretty much all original, I cut off the provided ignition switch connectors and adapted the wires to the original style switch. For the turn signal switch, I just cut off the male end of the original harness's column connector and thanks to DD's wiring information from earlier I can adapt the kit's wires to the original connector.

I worked all day today, didn't have time to do anything to the truck. All that's left if I remember correctly are just all the lights and the fuel gauge.

One tip if anybody hasn't heard of this...I have used lots of butt connectors with this project, and instead of using the outer plastic insulation, I like to use a nail and tap out the metal connector from the plastic sleeve, then use it crimp the wires together, using shrink tubing over the connection. I found that idea somewhere a while back, maybe here on Hotrodders. I think this looks much better and probably seals it up better as well.

I will be glad to help all that I can.
-Matt

Last edited by ChevApache59; 07-11-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 PM
zim@Eagle Mi.

Last photo:

Been using butt connectors for that for quite while, thanks anyway.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

Keep up the good work Matt.I am still trying to find time to pull the transmission out of the 58.I need to do all the maintenance to the 68 that has been neglected for a while.I put a carrier bearing in it last weekend.I got on it a little and it burned those 33x12.5 tires easily.The 327 in it has,a HEI distributer,double camel back heads,headers,and a holly street dominator manifold with a carter AFB carb.It only has about 20,000 miles on the engine so It should be a good work truck for me.Now I can start doing some of the custom work to the 58 without the time limits that I had when it was my only truck.I miss my stereo the most
Old 07-12-2007, 06:03 PM

Last journal entry: Nothing
Last photo:

By the way guys, I was just reading back in this thread about camaro clips. if I was going the clipping route I would use a Monte Carlo from 1978-1988. I just like the track width a little better. You do the surgery the same as doing a camero clip. I done on own my brothers 55 Panel truck and it was nice (the dummy sold the truck).

Well here are some pics of my frame finished and painted. Its a mustang II unit from TCI. I painted it with zero rust as a primer and Chassis Black Acrylic Enamel with Hardener. I'm very happy with the results. Its was cheap, looks nice and seem quite durable.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

Nice looking frame mkabwe.
Kim
Old 07-13-2007, 05:45 AM

Last photo:

Old Chevy Trucks

I'm new to this tread but enjoy reading everyones comments and suggestions. The pictures are an added bonus! The frame looks great. My 56 is a daily driver but hope one day to do a frame off. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

The frame looks good keep posting those pictures
Old 07-13-2007, 10:18 AM

Last journal entry: Nothing
Last photo:

I'm trying to get this thing done. I got really motivated at the brothers truck show. I was starting to lose interest in the truck. This was not supposed to be a frame off (at least thatís what I told myself) but one thing lead to another. Rust, rust, and more rust. I was suppose to clip the frame and do the body and paint and move on, but the more I dug into the truck the more I problems I found and before I knew it the frame was over here and the cab was over there and parts were everywhere. This is not my first frame off but I hope itís my last.lol

Last edited by mkabwe; 07-13-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

Next weekend I plan to put the 58 in the driveway and pull the engine so I can get the transmission out.I will fix the oil leak on the engine while I have it out.The chrome timing chain cover I put on it is cheap junk.I will take out the crossmember that is in the way while I have the engine and transmission out and build a crossmember that just bolts in.I just need it to reinforce the frame because the shackels for the leaf springs are right there.I am working on the 68 this weekend.It has been neglected so there are alot of little things that need to be done.I have to put in the new ignition switch and door locks as well as all the rubber boots for the shifter,clutch and brake rod.I also have to install the new bendix in the starter and clean this filthy engine.This is one of the few 68's that has a factory choke cable.The cable is missing so the truck has no choke at all.That will be a major issue when it hits single digit temps in a few months.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

Wow DD
Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you.
I've gotten a little more done on mine. Will post some pics when I get a chance.
Kim
Old 07-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Worn Out and Broken

Good to see that everybody is getting on with their getting on; me, I'm not even spinning my wheels - I'm just standing still, or laying about , or ?? ?? Later, gents.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 PM
zim@Eagle Mi.

Last photo:

65 in Vegas, come on, No one can stand still there.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

I have a couple of 10 day vacations in August so I let the 58 sit out front and made my self a new grill for when I am out camping.I like to go for a week at a time and I do all the cooking when I am out camping.I call it the FRANKEN GRILL because it is a monster.It is 14x38 with a 3 inch back splash.I made it that big so I can just set it across the 36 inch fire rings at forest service camp grounds.It looks like the 58 will just have to wait till I am done vacationing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0351 (845 x 634).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	22984  

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.