55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 09:28 AM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Same here... straight axle on mine. Don't have any knowledge that would help.
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

Hi patom

As far as the best MII set up I think it comes down to who you trust. Thier are quite a few manufacturers, Chris Alston, Jim Meyer, and FAt Mans to name a few. There have been problems in the past with cheaper ones failing. I have also seen a kit that allows you to put corvette suspension on the 55 t0 59 trucks.
On a daily driver stock A arms are probably just fine but most kits come with tubular as a basic item.
Good luck with your truck.
Kim
Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Finally got the 59 going. Having a little problem with it. When I set the timing just a tad over 12 degrees it runs like a scalded dog, but won't start. Just grunts. When I set the timing down so it starts easy, it won't take the gas. It will hesitate. Have to baby the fuel to it. Thought maybe the timing chain was off a notch... nope, not it. Thinking I might just have a problem with the batterey. Seems to only do it when it is hot. After it cools down it will start right up. Thought it might be the starter... nope. Put in a new starter and same problem. I'll work it out. In the mean time... man..... I'm really excited about how the engine is quick to RPM. Sounds more like an animal screamin than an engine....
Dave
Old 11-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Truckin' it up!!!

Last photo:

Sounds good dmaggard! Just got my 59 painted! Should have it home tomm...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	final 006.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	15948   Click image for larger version

Name:	final 008.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	15949   Click image for larger version

Name:	final 010.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	15950   Click image for larger version

Name:	final 013.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	15951  
Old 11-04-2006, 04:11 AM

Anxious to move

Now that I have the frame unbolted and free, I'm getting anxious to get things moving a little faster. Two weeks after I got the truck, I went down with a heart attack that set me back a little. Good to go now, so - once I get the suspension answered once and for all. I'm still looking at a whole frame swap to a 96 Yukon. The specs are real close, but making new mounts to fit my body parts could be a headache, too. Not to mention the difference in cost. I'd really appreciate any feedback you guys might be willing to offer - MII vs Frame - and any experiences you've had that will move me one way or the other.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:50 AM

Last photo:

Patom I cant offer much help with the project as I still run the strait axle and a stock frame.It sounds like quite the project.Does the Yukon have a full length frame?It would seam that just changing over the wiring would be a bigger project than the mustang 2 front end would be.Texan593 can,t wait to see pictures of that 59 in fresh paint.Dmaggard.What are you running for a distributor on that screaming animal under the hood.You might try setting the timing back to were it will start and hook the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum so the timing comes way up after it starts.That new engine may just need to have a few miles on it to domesticate that beast.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

my uncle has a 57 chevy p/u 1/2T short box with something from gibbon to adapt a cordova front end on it, its setup for a 327 400th and ladder bar 9" rear, frame & body works done, all sheet metal is in primer. the drive train is fresh and all there. cabs sitting on the frame and every thing is there to put it back together, doors and fenders are done & in primer. prob 6 sets of wheels, one set of corvette 8" rallies a 2X4 manifold with carbs and linkage and a 3x2 manifold & carbs, linkage set up for a sbc. theres a complete ole hilborne injection (hilborn fuel injection manifold and its all complete ect. for a sbc) (I think all motor machine work and heads & everything is there, including cam for a 400HP 327) as it was put together once and a daily driver. but he tore it down to the frame to do a frame off. he died at 59yrs old (sudden heart attack) all parts & truck is still sitting in his shop. hes was a pack rat and has car and hot rod parts from the 50 60s and 70s. has a couple older 396s 402 BBCs ect. my aunt don't know what to do with it. I've offered to buy, hes got cushman eagle scooters a 50 ford 2dr car. prob close to a 100 guns ect. and stuff she don't know about and stuff I haven't even came across yet. but she can't part with any of his things and hes been gone 6yrs the 29th of oct. his place is 3 acers.

Mustangsaly
Old 11-05-2006, 03:20 AM

I'm 59 last month and had a serious heart attack on January 6, 2005 @ 9:45 am while driving. I bought my '58 about a week before so it's been sitting untouched since then. All the sheet metal is in real good shape; only minor rust that I can find. Previous owner cut the frame to make it fit a short box. I'd give the person that did it about a B+. The wiring really won't be a problem since there isn't any. There's nothing in the cab except the windshield and back window - so I have to redo the whole thing. That's okay by me, then I know it's the way I want it, and it'll be right. I'll have to check on the Yukon frame for true length. I only saw the wheel base and track width. I'm hoping to find someone that's done a frame swap with the 55-59 model body before I make the leap.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:54 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

I'll give that vacuum advance thing a try. I pulled the timing cover off to confirm that the timing was set accurate. It was. Who ever put the timing cover on the last time didn't take off the oil pan so they ground the lip on the cover so that it would go back on. Needless to say, after putting it back on I developed a leak at the base. Took everything back apart, ordered a new timing cover and new oil pan. Looks like I'm gonna have to support the engine and take the aftermarket engine mount out to get the old pan off and the new pan in. Don't you just love how something simple turns into a major job. This really shouldn't be too bad but wasn't expecting it. I think the main problem was a 650 cranking amp battery on this high compression engine. Once it is hot, it is hard to crank. I replaced the battery with a 850 but haven't gotten to run it enough to tell if the problem is fixed. I'm pretty bad about putting things back right. I've been known to rig a few things but when it comes to putting a truck together if I can afford to do it right I do. This thing had a lot of bolts that weren't right. Stuff like that. I try to put things back the way they are suppose to be and go from there. I'm lovin this truck.
Dave
Thanks for the ideas.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan593
Sounds good dmaggard! Just got my 59 painted! Should have it home tomm...
Texan, make sure and get us some pictures when you get it back together.
Lookin good.
Dave
Old 11-07-2006, 09:02 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

DD...... the engine did turn the Mickeys....
Old 11-08-2006, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Sweet.We will have to get together at a show one of these summers.On that starter I had to pull the back off my new starter and put some molly grease on the bushings because mine would not turn when it was hot but if I taped on the back cover when it was hot it would turn over.While you have it off to change the oil pan you might as well do the starter.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 PM

camaro subframe

wow! I haven't logged on later, I'm currenlty building a 59 apache swapping on a big window cab,350 or 327 and od trans. A freind of mine turned me on to a video from no limit engeneering that goes through the whole process of a camaro swap. very informative! I built a 55 a few years back used a 76 camaro subframe you would not believe the difference this swap makes!
Old 11-09-2006, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

gillty1 post some pictures of that 59.Love to see those pictures
Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Ah... the sweet feeling of success. Man it was a close one. I put the motor on the hoist, took out the mount bolts, jacked it up as far as I dared to and took the engine mount crossmember loose, just enough to get the oil pan off. Got everything back together tonight and ready to crank it up tomorrow. I didn't have 1/16 of an inch to play with. Forgot to grease up the starter though. Hoping the larger battery takes care of the cranking problem. Here are some numbers for you DD....

Crank turned .010/.010
New bearings
Bored .060 new pistons, rings, balanced
Rods rebuilt and balanced
Aluminum heads 2.02/1.60 SS valves, screw in studs and guide plates
750 Holly Carb
Aluminum in take
New oil pump, pick up tube, lifters and push rods

This is the invoice I got from the speed shop that put the engine in the 59
Decipher for me.

Dave

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.