55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 63 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 05:07 PM

Last journal entry: camaro clip con't 56 chevy truck
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake
Thanks redfox so its about six bolts?
yeah give or take, also there are clips to release the wiring so you dont even need to take the lights out.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2007, 06:35 PM
oldmanchopper

Last journal entry: Update
Last photo:

58 chevy

Doubledick, I live in Stuart,Fl. and am building pro street 58 ,chopped 4" ladder bars.You can check out pics in journal under oldmanchopper.The pics are when I first got the truck.I have redone front end,installed engine and trans.Working on installing steering column,then body work on cab.Little at a time MUST be right!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the pictures.Running down the drag strip is a blast
Old 11-06-2007, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

Raising Frontend with Camaro Clip

First post here, though I've been following this thread for months now. Great info! I'm finishing up my 56 daily driver. PO installed a 79 Z-28 front clip and rearend (3.73). I've installed a 350 SBC and TH350 with AC, PS, PDB, etc.

Though I still have a few issue to sort out, two are really puzzling me. First, I need to raise the frontend to get some ground clearance. This truck has to be a truck, meaning a low slung frontend doesn't cut it. I need two to four more inches. Any suggestions?

Second, the engine rebuilders I got my 350 from "gave me an upgrade in cam for free", substituting a Comp Cams 280H cam. They assured me that this would work ok with my power brakes and stock stall converter. I'm running an intake from an 85 305 Pickup with the Quadrajet from that pickup. Also have full headers dumping into 2 1/2" exhaust with flowmasters. For ignition I have a Street Fire MSD HEI dizzy. Idle is really rough on this engine at 650 rpm in gear. Won't stall out, but quite lopey. I've been fighting with the timing. Right now I've set it at 10d BTDC with vacuum disconnected to the distributor and idle at 650 rpm in park. MSD says to use ported vacuum, so I have. I then set the idle to 1000 rpm in park and when I drop it in gear, it goes down to 650. This seems lower than it should be to me. I haven't even got the AC going yet, so I'm thinki9ng I should bump up the idle to 800 or so in gear. That is going to mean a sharp shift when dropping it in gear. Any suggestions? I realize the torque converter shouold probably be changed, but that will be a real PITA. Also, should I change to manifold vacuum rather than ported vacuum on the distributor advance as many on this forum seem to recommend?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Clint Lovell
Old 11-06-2007, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

Welcome to the site Clint

The easiest way to raise the front would be to go to a taller tire.
You could try changing the springs but that may change some of the steering geometry.
We would love to see some pics of your truck.
Kim
Old 11-07-2007, 06:51 PM

Last journal entry: camaro clip con't 56 chevy truck

you could probably go with a 2" taller spring and not run into steering or suspension problems, then spindles but im not sure they make a raised spindle for that clip.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

Well guys I have been busy doing everything but working on my 58.The weather has been nice so I have been out in the mountains on my Rino.We went to the C.A.R.s Halloween party and that was fun unfortunately my transmission was not done yet so I don't have that sitting next to the engine in the shop.When the clip on the tv cable that hooks it to the carb broke on the drag strip it up shifted from 1st to 3rd at over 5000 rpm and that monster motor toasted the 3-4 clutch pack so I didn't hurt it too bad.The weather is going to turn really cold soon so I will have all winter to get the 58 back together.I have a few mods I want to get done before I put it back together so It will be in my shop for the winter.I have a line on a 427 tall deck that was built to run 500+ hp on pump gas( I need 95 to run the one I have)and that will make it a little more street able and I am going to add the power assist steering.I will take pictures and keep you all posted.On another note Oscarlovel I don't know much about the front suspinsion but as far as the converter for your transmission goes I run a 2300 stall in mine and it really helps get this heavy truck moving.You just have to make sure that your final cruise rpm is higher than the stall speed of your converter.I run 31x10.5 tires 4.56 gears and have .70 on my overdrive so my cruise rpm at 70 is just over 2500 rpm.When I had a 59 I ran a 1500 stall converter behind a 400 small block with a 400 trans the stock 3.90 rearend and 9.50x16 tires and that worked great for 15 years.Good luck with your project and post pictures when you can.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

I got to work on the 58 yesterday.I removed the old transmission cross member.I drilled out the 12 rivets then used an air chisel to remove the heads,then used a punch to remove the rivets.I had to cut the cross member in half with a saws all to get it out.With the new engine cross member and the new transmission cross member I have 2 cross members replacing the one I just removed.I ordered new leaf perches for the rear end so I can correct the pinion angle. The transmission is 3 degrees and the pinion is 6.I have not had any issues with the drive shaft but the pinion angle should be 3 degrees so I will cut off the perches I welded on wrong and weld on the new ones at the proper angle this time.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

Hey DD.
Glad you're able to work on your truck. Have'nt been able to touch mine for weeks. I have some bulging discs and bone spurs in my neck that has kept me away from it. Had a cortisone shot in my neck but it did nothing to stop the pain. They may have to operate to fix the problem.
Kim
Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 AM

always something new

Well new in the big picture I removed the front clip, all in one pcs. this gave me a better look at the door pillars which appear to be shot I am suprized that the doors open and shut as well as they do, I looked up parts on the internet and found a place in Florida, they could not answer my my questions and sent me to good mark who yold me they aren' going to stock what I need and sent me to a guy in North Carolina named dave, I also found a place called Mills in Ohio, has anyone bought anything fromthese two places?

does anyone have a schematic or blown up view of the door pillar area should look like then I am off to buy a plasma cutter, and some mig wire

Thanks Chesapeake
Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 AM
FAST EDDIE

Last photo:

Truck Parts!

Chesapeake, check out brothers trucks web site. I have got many parts from them for my 55 pro street truck. they also have been alot of help with any
questions I had. Hope this will be of help.
Redflash
Old 12-02-2007, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Chesapeake I can take some pictures of my 58 if that will help.I can take them with measurements and put an angle meter in the shot .Just let me know what you want pictures of(driver or passenger side and how much of it)
Old 12-03-2007, 05:16 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I haven't read any of this thread but thought I might mention that I have access to a cab that has laid on it's cowl for a few decades and still has a real solid bottom. PM me if you need it because I won't be reading the longest thread in history for updates.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 AM

Thank you three for your input. Doubldick I would like to see the pictures amd measurement, As I have ordeed what I think I will need ,, all but a plasma cutter I think I owe myself!, Thanks Bo
Old 12-09-2007, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

Chesapeake It has been snowing up here for the last 6 days.I will get those pictures for you if it ever stops snowing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0405 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	26067  

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.