55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 64 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 11:32 AM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Oldest 57 still around?

A friend of mine has a son who wanted to get into the old car hobby. He is 17 and has no use for imports.
His father and I have been looking for a suitable project for him for a while now. While looking at a vehicle for a customer, I came across a 57 PU that was in good shape and ran. After getting it to Ohio from Cali, we were working on making it streetable, and noticed the serial number. It is the 9th 57 built out of the LA plant. We think this may be the earliest built 57 still in existence. Does anyone on here have a lower serial numbered 57 or know of one? If so, we would like to know.

Thanks, Barry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 06:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey DD
Thats a cool picture of your truck covered in snow (no pun intended).

Barry if you'll tell me how to de-code my vin I'll check it and see.
Kim
Old 12-09-2007, 10:06 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Kim the last 6 numbers of the VIN number are what your looking for. His are 100009.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:24 AM

Last photo:

What an Amazing thread!

Second, the engine rebuilders I got my 350 from "gave me an upgrade in cam for free", substituting a Comp Cams 280H cam. They assured me that this would work ok with my power brakes and stock stall converter. I'm running an intake from an 85 305 Pickup with the Quadrajet from that pickup. Also have full headers dumping into 2 1/2" exhaust with flowmasters. For ignition I have a Street Fire MSD HEI dizzy. Idle is really rough on this engine at 650 rpm in gear. Won't stall out, but quite lopey.

Clint,

I know I'm probably way to late to help you, but: Rhoads variable-duration lifters would smooth it out a bunch...
Old 12-10-2007, 08:07 AM

No problem, Thanks for the help! we had our first dusting here and the place looses its mind, it realy sad to see, snow in the forcast almost seven days before it falls and the prediction is for an inch, silly as all get out!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Yeh, a little late now, but I'm happy. Tore the engine and frontend down and installed a Summit 1102 camkit. If anyone would like a nearly new CC 280H with lifters (still sorted) 12-212-2 (think that is right), I'll make you a sweet deal. Break-in time only. Just drop me an email at oscarlovel@bellsouth.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhatz
Second, the engine rebuilders I got my 350 from "gave me an upgrade in cam for free", substituting a Comp Cams 280H cam. They assured me that this would work ok with my power brakes and stock stall converter. I'm running an intake from an 85 305 Pickup with the Quadrajet from that pickup. Also have full headers dumping into 2 1/2" exhaust with flowmasters. For ignition I have a Street Fire MSD HEI dizzy. Idle is really rough on this engine at 650 rpm in gear. Won't stall out, but quite lopey.

Clint,

I know I'm probably way to late to help you, but: Rhoads variable-duration lifters would smooth it out a bunch...
Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

Front Bumper on 56 w/Camaro Clip?

Need to get a stock front bumper on my 56 with the Camaro front clip. Does anyone here have pictures or suggestions for such an "animal". I know that I can engineer something, but thought someone with prior experience might be able to save me time and frustration. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:49 PM

Hey everyone, I've been following this thread off and on when I can for about a year and really enjoy reading it. finally joined the site in november. I myself have a 55 second series. I've had the truck since I was 15yrs old now I'm 28. It's been torn apart and put on hold most of the time. The last 4 yrs I've started messing with it in the winter times and aquiring parts when I can. I'm in the prosess of finishing up the final weld on the MII front suspension and 4-bar rear suspension with air bags all around. I had a frame with a camaro clip that I did when going to auto body school but tosted it aside after changing my mind to go with the MII and 4-link air ride. I have a 383 stroker motor,700R4 trans, and camaro 3.73 posi rear end for the drive train.
Still have along way to go, I have a ton of new parts to work with its just finding the time to work on it. Well I'll try to get a journal going so anyone interested can see what I got going on. I tried to get some pics to put in here but by the time I croped them down to fit you can't see enough. I'll keep trying.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlovel
Need to get a stock front bumper on my 56 with the Camaro front clip. Does anyone here have pictures or suggestions for such an "animal". I know that I can engineer something, but thought someone with prior experience might be able to save me time and frustration. Thanks.

I just welded the front portion of the 55 back on. before I cut the frame I welded some square tubing to it to keep it all together and took some measurements so I could get everything back where it should go. This will retain the mounts for the core support and also the bumper mt. If you need measurements i can probably get some. Hope this helps. I'll try to get some pics in here.
[IMG][/IMG][IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	026.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	26201   Click image for larger version

Name:	027.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	26202   Click image for larger version

Name:	029.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	26203  
Old 12-17-2007, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

Welcome to the site HOTSHOT14
Sounds like a cool project.
Now that you've figured out how to post pics lets see some more.
Kim
Old 12-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Artful Dodger

Last journal entry: From behind
Last photo:

Welcome Hotshot!
Old 12-18-2007, 01:59 PM

radiator help

i got a dumb question for some of you engine experts. as i am getting things together for my 57 i have reached the point for engine / radiator positioning. the truck came with a later model aluminum radiator i am trying to reuse to save some bucks. when i got my camaro clip on and got the front fenders and radiator mounts together i see something about the radiator that i just don't know about.
the way the radiator is mounted, the lower radiator hose outlet is located above the inlet on the water pump. does the position of these connections matter? do i need to try and remount the radiator so the radiator outlet is lower than the water pump inlet? is it OK that the radiator outlet is higher than the water pump inlet?
this sounds like a stupid question to me but since i am in the fabricating stage i didn't want to screw something up that would be easier to fix now than later.
i know - i know - i need to get some photos up!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

I have seen relocated radiators on custom 4 x 4 vehicles higher than the engine.Gravity will bring the water down to the inlet.If you use an electric fan you can mount it anywere it can get airflow
Old 12-18-2007, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodsbyray
i got a dumb question for some of you engine experts. as i am getting things together for my 57 i have reached the point for engine / radiator positioning. the truck came with a later model aluminum radiator i am trying to reuse to save some bucks. when i got my camaro clip on and got the front fenders and radiator mounts together i see something about the radiator that i just don't know about.
the way the radiator is mounted, the lower radiator hose outlet is located above the inlet on the water pump. does the position of these connections matter? do i need to try and remount the radiator so the radiator outlet is lower than the water pump inlet? is it OK that the radiator outlet is higher than the water pump inlet?
this sounds like a stupid question to me but since i am in the fabricating stage i didn't want to screw something up that would be easier to fix now than later.
i know - i know - i need to get some photos up!
Since these are "closed" systems, the relationship between the radiator ports and pump inlet doesn't matter. Mount it any way you'd like. The fluid will flow fine no matter how the rad is mounted.

Antny
Old 12-18-2007, 08:37 PM

guys, thank you so much. i am gonna go with the radiator setup i have. it'll save me some dollars and a bunch of fab time. cool!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.