55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 67 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 11:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job~Rated
I have a slight problem & wondered if anyone could help.

Will a '50 Stepside tailgate fit a '41? Apart from the fact that the '41 is plain & the '50 has the Chevrolet name, is there a size difference?

Thanks in advance.
Best bet is to call Mar K and ask them.

Antny

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 12:23 AM

Last photo:

Hi this is my first time

Hi everyone. I am building a 57chev step-side pro-street. I am new to this. My problem is i don't know what rear end to use. I have an '86 chev pk up rearend, a 8.8 Lincoln rearend with disc brakes. Can these be narrowed down easily? And I have been thinking about an s-10 rear end because it is narrower then the stock one already but i don't know if it will stand up to 400+ hp. Does anyone have any suggestion which would be the best way to go?
Old 02-02-2008, 04:01 PM
running on gas

re: 55 to 59 Chevy truck owners

I have a 59 Chevy Fleetside under construction (for 8 years) and I was going to paint my frame with oil based Rust-oleum high performance paint and primer. Has any one done this before and what was the results. This is going to be driven quite often, I don't have the extra money to use epoxy paint. I can spray it according to the instructions, using acetone as a thinner. Has anyone done this before on their vehicle? How well did it hold up under normal use? Can I use a universal hardener in it or is this a bad ideal to start with. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:25 PM

56 IFS Measurements

I started to install a M11 IFS on my 56 truck frame today - my issue is the distance from the front end. I measured my old axle centerline at 28in from the front ( or 22 in from the center of the front spring mount hole ). The instructions state the crossmember centerline should be 20 7/8 in from spring hole center (27 in on my truck ). Anyone recall the measurements they used? I'd hate to weld it up an inch off !!!! Thanks.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignuk1
I started to install a M11 IFS on my 56 truck frame today - my issue is the distance from the front end. I measured my old axle centerline at 28in from the front ( or 22 in from the center of the front spring mount hole ). The instructions state the crossmember centerline should be 20 7/8 in from spring hole center (27 in on my truck ). Anyone recall the measurements they used? I'd hate to weld it up an inch off !!!! Thanks.
Bignuk1,

I think mine was 20-7/8 inches. But also do this; mark the centerline of your rear axle on the floor on each sibe of the truck using a plumb bob or level, then measure the proper wheelbase (I think it's 114 inches for the shortbox, 117.5 for the longbed?) and mark it on the floor. Transfer the wheelbase mark up to the centerline of your crossmember, again with a plumb bob or level. Do that on both sides and tack her in. Recheck all your measurements and marks a few times before final welding. This method with guarantee that your front wheels will be properly centered in your fenders.

Hope this helps.

Antny
Old 02-02-2008, 11:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I have a 59 Chevy Fleetside under construction (for 8 years) and I was going to paint my frame with oil based Rust-oleum high performance paint and primer. Has any one done this before and what was the results. This is going to be driven quite often, I don't have the extra money to use epoxy paint. I can spray it according to the instructions, using acetone as a thinner. Has anyone done this before on their vehicle? How well did it hold up under normal use? Can I use a universal hardener in it or is this a bad ideal to start with. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks.
Cool 59, If I was looking for frame paint for a daily driver I would use POR 15.
It brushes on and flows out smooth. I painted a chevelle frame and it looked great. UV will harm it but on a frame it should be no problem.
Kim
Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Artful Dodger

Last journal entry: From behind
Last photo:

This doesn't look too bad...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320212691494
Old 02-03-2008, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Depends on the definition of "too bad" is....! All that's missing is a sink and a potty!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:04 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Hey guys

Hey everybody...been awhile since I've been here. Life has been crazy, but hopefully things are slowing down now. My truck is pretty much the same as last time I posted. So maybe I can get back on it. Nice to be back..
Old 02-03-2008, 02:08 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool 59
I used black rustoleum from the can and brushed it on. I am not building a show truck just a daily driver. I pushed the rolling chassis out into the weather about 4 months ago and it has held up well. It is just a bit dusty and dirty but holding up
Old 02-03-2008, 04:10 PM
running on gas

re, rust-oleum

Thanks for the the reply about rust-oleum. I have a good amount of money in my truck. I put the money in things that I thought was necessary for making it safe, more modern, handle better and durability. I'm at the point where I need to get it done and quit trying to re-engineer it. The sky is the limit on how much money you can put into a rebuild. A lot of rebuilds have much more money in their trucks and they do impress me with their skill they have in building their vehicles. My funds are kind of funny right now, so I'm trying to do the best I can do with what I have to work with. My goal is to get it done as soon as possible. Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:48 PM
running on gas

58-59 chevy

Hey, anyone out there near Dayton, Ohio building a 55 to 59 chevy truck? Just interested in your project and how its going. It has been cold here for awhile and I'm losing my motivation to get out in the garage an accomplish anything.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:14 PM

Me too I am in So. Maryland My barn need a roof its been cold I have tons I could be doing but instead I am in the gym, Lots of work needed there too and soon its better riding conditions so I will have a v-twin distraction ,, I need serious help, Oh yeah in April I will have to go fishing as well!,, come on global warming!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 PM
running on gas

re, 58-59 chevy

I have lost track of how long I have been on this project. I found old receipts dating back to 2001. I don't have extra money to put in it right now, so right now I am trying to do the labor intensive part of the project with the least amount of money possible. I have set a goal to get it done this year and to drive it. Now with cold weather all I need is motivation.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:

I think there is alot of things in this truck that should have been taking out at the house and left there,

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.