55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 70 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last journal entry: 55 chevy 2nd series truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey

Hey I haven't been here in a while but I've been getting money together for my 55 2nd ser, and I now am getting my mustang 2 heidt ifs installed while I sand down my cab. I now am learning to bend stainless tubing for pneumatic controls at work and was wondering if I could use 1/4 inch tubing on all my brakes on my truck? can I find all the brake fittings to go from 1/4 inch stainless or not? Thanks for any info on this I am ignorant in this area I have only done electrical and pneumatic controls.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

Welcome..... I have headers un my 59 with a BB but I also have a front clip out of a 70 chevelle with the power steering and brakes so I just got headers that would fit a BB chevelle. Any questions you may have iam sure someone here can answer you all of us together could be pretty scary
Old 04-01-2008, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 dream truck
hey my name is Dave Smith I have a 56 chevy p/up that I'm starting. Thanks DoubleDick for those sway bar brackets. What size motor are you running? If it's a BB where did you find headers? I hope to talk with as many of you guy's as possible for great ideas this is my first project me and my son is working on. I'm not going to get alot of help from him, He just started with our Sheriff's department this past year so he still all about that right now.
My engine is a 427 big block.I used 69 gm 4x4 headers.I responded to your P.M. with the details of what I did to make them work.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil John
Hey I haven't been here in a while but I've been getting money together for my 55 2nd ser, and I now am getting my mustang 2 heidt ifs installed while I sand down my cab. I now am learning to bend stainless tubing for pneumatic controls at work and was wondering if I could use 1/4 inch tubing on all my brakes on my truck? can I find all the brake fittings to go from 1/4 inch stainless or not? Thanks for any info on this I am ignorant in this area I have only done electrical and pneumatic controls.
Check with your local NAPA parts store and see if they have the ends you need.I think the stock lines are 1/4 inch.When I ran new brake lines I just used 3/16 replacement lines from NAPA.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last journal entry: 55 chevy 2nd series truck
Last photo:

Thanks for the help DD

I will try to find the fittings I need at NAPA. I am wondering if I should use a manual or power rack from a mustang 2 for a 55 truck with a 355 sbc engine. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks John
Old 05-19-2008, 06:59 PM

55-59 chevy

Hello all,
I've been reading some of these threads. . .
I like what I see/read. This is my first post and i'm not sure if im repling to a discussion, but I wanted to post in this section (55-59). I just bought my first classic chevy truck. A 1959 apache 32. I was wondering what the best way to lower this beaut without breaking the bank. I want to dropp it about 3 inches front and rear. I've heard of attaching the spring under the axles. Is this something a novice mechanic could handle. I guess I just lack confidence. any tips or instructions would be great. I'm also going to convert to front discs, 5 lug. Should i try to find a donor car or buy all the goodies from a vendor? The wifes allready warned me about curbing my spending. The trucks being media blasted now and body shop after that so the budget is getting tight. Any help would be great .

Thanks
Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

3 on da Tree,

It sounds like you need a suspension upgrade on both ends. At the back, just put in a rear end from car.

http://quickperformance.com/Technica...us_measure.htm

Up front, consider an aftermarket independent setup such as Mustang II. However, bear in mind you may have to change motor mounting as well if you do that.

My own take on things is: I hate to invest in something that's not quite what I want. Although its still on the back burner, my plan is to fab up a new frame with Jaguar underpinnings on both ends. Good Luck!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

3onDaTree
Welcome to the site.
There is a number of ways to lower these trucks with the original suspension.
You can get new springs or remove some of the leafs from the ones you have depending on what you want to use the truck for when done.
Hardhatz idea will also work. You can also go with a clip from another car up front that has IFS such as a camaro. My 57 has a clip from a 67 chevelle in it with a 4 link in the rear.
Good luck with the build and post some pics when you get a chance.
Kim
Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 PM
BigMike

Last photo:

Hey everyone.... sorry i havnt been on in a very very long time. How is everyone doing? its gonna take me a long while to go through and read what everyone have done to their trucks.

Mike
Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

I like them but don't have one myself. The guy I bought the 69 F-100 from had a 55 or 57 chevy 1 1/2 ton truck but the body was eat up and beat up. It wasn't worth fooling with. I think he was going to scrap it. I know a gut who has some 56 pickups and I belive he would sell but not sure. I might try to buy one in a few years. I have enough projects for a lifetime though
Old 06-07-2008, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

I haven't been here in a while myself.I have been buying tools and fixing all the other toys I own getting ready for camping season.Have any of you guys seen the new dash that classic parts has.It is expensive at $850 but it looks similar to the stock gauges and the speedo is 0 to 140 with a built in tach.I am going to buy one with this weekends carpet installation profits.Having a second job helps with buying tools and parts but leaves little time to work on the 58.I will post up with my progress when I get started on the 427 later this month.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:59 PM

Wow, still a lot of interest in these old trucks! WAY cool...
Just as a point of interest, I took my very first drivers test in a '59 Apache Stepside, 235, 3-speed. My parents bought it new in '59 and, get this, they traded in a '53 2-dr HUDSON Hornet... Twin-H! Wish I had both of 'em now!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:20 AM
BigMike

Last photo:

Hey DD, those gauges are nice but 850 seems a little steep. i would check around and see if you can get it any cheaper. i figured i was going to go with a dakota digital unit and last time i checked it was about 450. let us know what ya come up with.

Mike
Old 06-08-2008, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

$450 is a good price for the dakota digital unit, I have 1 in the 55 and it works great.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

$850 is a little high but it should come down eventually.I don't like the digital gauges.I really like the stock styling of that set.The round gauges in the other after market dash sets just don't do it for me.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.