55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 72 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 09:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hi AntnyL,

Nice build.
Hood looks great. I want to pancake my 57 I'm building but don't have the b***'s. you are getting me closer. Some more pics of cuts would be a big push.

Keep up the good work...gdb

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

AntnyL
The hood looks great, more pics would be great also.
Kim
Old 08-31-2008, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb
Hi AntnyL,

Nice build.
Hood looks great. I want to pancake my 57 I'm building but don't have the b***'s. you are getting me closer. Some more pics of cuts would be a big push.

Keep up the good work...gdb
Thanks gdb. If I can pull off this mod, then so can anyone! All you need is a sawzall, grinders and a welder......and some cajones!
I posted up a few more pix, a few close-ups of the cut lines too. If you need to see anything specific, let me know and I'll snap them. Thanks again for the kind words, and I hope the pix help!

Antny
Old 08-31-2008, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57
AntnyL
The hood looks great, more pics would be great also.
Kim
Thanks Kim! I posted up a few more pix, a few close-ups of the cut lines too. If you need to see anything specific, let me know and I'll snap them. Time to go cut and weld some more!

Antny
Old 08-31-2008, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

WOW , your say you never done this kind of thing before , looks like a pro did it , keep up the great work. Next a top chop ????????????
Gene
Old 08-31-2008, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
WOW , your say you never done this kind of thing before , looks like a pro did it , keep up the great work. Next a top chop ????????????
Gene
Thanks Gene, I appreciate the comment. Believe me, I'm no pro! I'm just trying things that I've gleaned from this forum and from custom car/truck magazines. This is my first foray into customizing. I must say, I'm having a blast....this is great therapy! No top chop for this truck, I actually like the cab's factory proportions of the TF trucks. A friend wants me to help him chop the top of his 91 S10. Maybe I'll use that opportunity to try it out. Anywho, after about 4 hours of welding and hammering today, I got all the cuts/seams welded up and ground down fairly smooth. I went through nearly an entire spool of .030 wire, and my arms got a great tan!

Antny
Old 09-06-2008, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

OK, so I finished pancaking my hood, and I still had a few spools of welding wire left, so I gave the truck one more look over; hmmmm, those driprails bug me. I hate the idea of seam sealer (one more thing to go wrong), and i don't want to shave them and end up with a lap of water when it rains. So here's what I'm doing; I'm gonna cut off the vertical part of the rails, and weld on quarter-rounds of metal. I got a length of 3/4" EMT electrical tubing, sliced it lengthwise into quarters, and started to weld em up. So far, it looks great. The end result will be functional gutters that resemble the gutters on a 34 Ford. The profile basically matches the upper door detail perfectly! No more ugly rails, and no seam sealer! Has anyone else done this?

I've been taking some progress pix and will load them into my photo file soon.

I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK this will be the final mod before I start the plastic filler skim coat over the entire truck. Just in time for the cool weather....perfect!

Antny
Old 09-06-2008, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

AntnyL
The drip rail mod sounds cool. I plan on getting rid of mine but want to see pics of what you're doing.
Kim
Old 09-07-2008, 06:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57
AntnyL
The drip rail mod sounds cool. I plan on getting rid of mine but want to see pics of what you're doing.
Kim
Hi Kim,

I uploaded a couple of pix in my photo album. Check it out, it should give you a basic idea of what I'm doing. Let me know if you have any Q's.

Antny
Old 09-07-2008, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

I want to do something with my drip rails also, I know a guy near here that did his drip rails on a 57 Chevy sedan, I think he trimed them like you did Anthony but he used brake line tubing (don't remember what size tubing) but turned out nice. Kim I saw a pickup that had the drip rails shaved off at a Goodguy's show here it was painted in black suede , and the door gaps stuckout like a fat guys butt crack, I don't think I would take them all the way off.
Gene
Old 09-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
I want to do something with my drip rails also, I know a guy near here that did his drip rails on a 57 Chevy sedan, I think he trimed them like you did Anthony but he used brake line tubing (don't remember what size tubing) but turned out nice. Kim I saw a pickup that had the drip rails shaved off at a Goodguy's show here it was painted in black suede , and the door gaps stuckout like a fat guys butt crack, I don't think I would take them all the way off.
Gene
Gene,

You're absolutely right about the door gaps. Unless you spend lots of time edge-welding/grinding them, the factory gaps are hideous. I probably have 100 hours into the gaps, at least.

I almost got my rails all welded up today, but my cheapo Chinese wirefeed welder died on me. It served me well, but it was time for a new one anyway. I picked up a Lincoln this time. Gotta learn a new tool now!

Antny
Old 09-07-2008, 10:54 PM

Last photo:

57halfton
You're right, the original gaps on these trucks leave a lot to be desired. I've already come to the realization that I will have a ton of time getting them to look right.
AntnyL
I like the way your rails look. Keep the pics coming.
Kim
Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

I'm a nubee but made a post or two some time back, I think.... Mostly research the archives.

I have read this thread. Took me a few days.

Great ideas and photos.

I have a '56 3100 I've been working on since 1990.

It's still not anywhere near where most of yours are. I wish I had a garage like many of you have and could do my own work for that ultimate satisfaction, but alas that is not the case. The '56 sat dormant for 16 years after it got a total original suspension rebuild and overhaul on a 235 inline 6. I sourced the parts and had a few mechanics put them on. The suspension is doing fine but the motor has problems. It still has the 3 speed that came with the truck. The PO had a floor shifter so I swapped that for a B&M long shaft floor truck shifter, back when they still had them. Am looking for a V8 to transplant and even with gas prices the way they are, a 383 stroker or a blown 427 would be obscene, but totally fun. And either a T-400 or keep the 3 speed...perhaps a 4 speed?

After so many what if's and should I's, from reading your posts, I've decided to keep the straight axle and make a '60's gasser out of the '56. It has the right front end for it and after trying to think why I like the look of the TF trucks, it's because I've come to realize I've always liked the look of Willys '40 coupe '60's gassers.The fat fender look. Mind you it took a few decades to figure that out, but I don't get to work on our hobby as often as I'd like and life makes you clean up the morning glory...But at least I have not given up and the truck is still with me.

I don't intend on racing the truck per se and it won't be a daily driver either. More of a hobby with a potent mill and some fun features.

I've seen the usual IFS installs and all the great trucks that sport the slammed look going for the slalom appeal. A drift machine, these trucks will never be.

But I keep getting hypnotized by a fast, loud, 1/4 mile rocket. Even if just for cruising the streets on a Sunday. Perhaps with a set of electric cutouts. Large power discs up front.

I know many enthusiasts have gone the IFS route and believe me I had my couch sessions with the same thing. Mustang ll, Volare, the aftermarket offerings, Jag, Corvette parts, later Chevy truck chassis transplants, complete new modern chassis ideas, and that cool Ironworks dream of a chassis and thanks for posting more pics of that..even towards NASCAR suspensions... But I keep thinking to keep the original parts as much as possible. I used to have an Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 so I realized, short of getting picked for Foose's Overhaulin' show, my truck was going to be an outlaw rat rod with old school handling.

After seeing this thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=230636

and watching the owner chop off the original IFS of his 55 Chevy sedan to install a straight axle, (Make sure you watch his youtube clip) I sensed I was on the right track for my needs.

I'm curious as to how things are going to turn out with the Power Assist install on DD's 58. I have not driven the truck in so long, I've forgotten what the steering was like. I know at a standstill it's arm wrestling. Would the power assist help or hinder a straight axle gasser on a fast run? Need some input.

There are so many ideas as regards power steering upgrades.
I recently stumbled upon this article by Custom Classic Trucks magazine's writer, John Gilbert. John goes through the history a bit on the steering systems and I for one had no idea that what we think as modern steering boxes have been around since our parents were born...

http://customclassictrucks.automotiv...rts/index.html

Here's some old pics of mine: These are old film photos so they're not too clear.

After paying a retired US Air Force band leader here it sits after the long drive home.

Getting the suspension and brakes renewed. Found some new parts for the spindles, drag link rebuild, tie rod, and brake drum and differential innards.

The leaves may be overkill but at the time I had no idea how many would be enough and the PO had these on to haul band equipment in this truck.

Parked in my garage today with a cotton drill cover (had to keep the "eyesore" out of my neighbors' cross hairs) after a recent going over on the "new" brakes and suspension rebuild. After it sat in another garage for 16 years, a set of new radials on original steel wheels and a master cylinder rebuild was all it needed for the rolling stock..needs a new gas tank even though I took it apart years ago, welded some rust holes and "slosh" coated it. Will have a SS 17 gallon tank made and put it under the bed. So until I get a tank on it, it won't be able to get exercise.

it still looks like this today. Had to trailer it to my apartment.

I don't have a journal, but if I find time I may post one.

Here are some pics of a gasser TF.

Does anyone know the guy who owns this and how it handles?

Another owner's offering:

I have collected over the years, a few new replacement parts for the truck, like original repro door latches, cab mounts, gaskets, parking light assemblies and tail lights, speedometer cable, chrome outside mirror holders, mirrors, wiper arm assemblies, door glass gaskets and channels, windbreaker assemblies and latches. These I purchased from the Truck Shop when they were at West Chapman, and Golden State Pickup Parts when they were in California before it got sold. Most of it's all sitting in an old Samsonite waiting for the next step.

After reading some of the posts, I realize I'm in good company with those who have these trucks and leave them parked for a decade or so before picking up where they left off.

I've really enjoyed this thread and learned much from all who've posted. Your possessing real mechanical skills, sectioning body parts, fabricating chassis parts and brackets, painting, welding, I'm re inspired to say the least...

Goff
Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

Welcome to the site and thread Goff.
Looks like a nice truck you have. Just keep plugging away at it and you'll eventually get it done.
Kim
Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Nice project....I like the gasser look. Welcome.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.