55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 74 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 05:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
Mellon I posted up so it would be easier for you to find this thread.I have not posted for a while as I have been spending all my time in hospitals with my wife in her fight with cervical cancer.I have the CCP power assisted steering still in the box and a new 4l80e transmission for my 58 but no time and no money to work on it right now.I live in the mountains 250 miles outside of Las Vegas so we drive in on Monday and drive home on Friday to be with the kids.We just finished 6 weeks of chemo and radiation treatments.We almost lost her last week when she got a infection with her white blood cell count at .5(normal is 15) and her blood pressure dropped to 61 over 30 so keep us in your prayers.
DD, so very sorry to hear this. Both you and your wife are in my thoughts and prayers. Be her rock, she'll need you. Best wishes for a full recovery.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2008, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

DD , So sorry to hear about your wife. Be strong for her and you both will be just fine. Your 58 will still be there when things are all good again. I went through a breast cancer ordeal with my wife about 10 years ago, now she is as healthy and cancer free.
Hang in there, she'll be fine.
Gene
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Doubledick, just read your post and am sorry to hear about your situation. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife.

Kurt
Old 11-01-2008, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

Dd

DD, i was wondering what happened. Sorry to hear about your wife and your situation. Hope things will improve so that you can get back to life. Thoughts and prayers....
Old 11-02-2008, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

Thanks alot guys.This is second time around for us.We thought we had it beat 2 years ago.She is home and doing better today.Hopefully we can knock it out for good this time.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:34 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

Glad your wife is back home, DD. My mother went through a breast cancer ordeal a few years ago, all is well now. You'll have my prayers as well.

Hate to change the subject, but I'm considering adding a transmission crossmember to my '59. It was originally a three-speed column shift, it now has a Muncie M20. Engine's a 283, warmed up some. I get on it hard every now and then and I'm a little paranoid about not utilizing the rear mount on the Muncie. I've got quite a bit of money in this trans at this point and I don't want to break anything. I just use street tires and a cheap clutch so part of me thinks it may not be necessary. Then again, a crossmember is a lot cheaper than a transmission. What do you guys think?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevApache59
Glad your wife is back home, DD. My mother went through a breast cancer ordeal a few years ago, all is well now. You'll have my prayers as well.

Hate to change the subject, but I'm considering adding a transmission crossmember to my '59. It was originally a three-speed column shift, it now has a Muncie M20. Engine's a 283, warmed up some. I get on it hard every now and then and I'm a little paranoid about not utilizing the rear mount on the Muncie. I've got quite a bit of money in this trans at this point and I don't want to break anything. I just use street tires and a cheap clutch so part of me thinks it may not be necessary. Then again, a crossmember is a lot cheaper than a transmission. What do you guys think?
I would definitely add a trans cross member. I'm surprised it hasn't given you any trouble without one in it now.
Kim
Old 11-29-2008, 11:15 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

Thanks Kim. I'm definitely getting a crossmember. I bought my dad's '50 Ford coupe project, so I can't afford to risk anything on my truck.

By the way, my dad just bought a '59 GMC 100, longbed stepside with a 270" six, four speed. It runs pretty well. The original bed wood is somehow still very intact. It's got quite a way to go...I'm not sure what his plans are with it. I'll try to get some pics of it tomorrow.

-Matt
Old 11-30-2008, 05:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
it now has a Muncie M20. Engine's a 283, warmed up some.
Post pics if you can of your trans and when you get the xmember up...
Old 11-30-2008, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

I agree with Kim you need a crossmember.A universal crossmember from classis truck parts is about $60 and should work.just buy a mount for the trans and install the crossmember.You should have a gap between the trans mount and the crossmember.I used thick wall 2 inch square tubing to make a spacer for mine.If you need any help making a spacer just post up and I will give you some Ideas.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:41 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

I got the crossmember ordered yesterday morning. I got the rubber mount locally for $6. Classic Parts is in Kansas City and I live north of Memphis, TN so I should have it in a couple days. I'm starting school for welding/machining in January and I'll be driving my truck about 50 miles a day so I've just been going over things I can take care of on the truck while I still have plenty of time.

Here's a couple pics of the GMC my dad bought...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GMCsmaller.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	34725   Click image for larger version

Name:	GMCsmaller2.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	34726  
Old 01-02-2009, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

Hey everybody how is your new year.Mine is great.It looks like my wife has beat this cancer thing for now.Winter snow has set in so I will be able to get back to work on the old blue 58 apache.I miss my old truck.This 98 Chevy just has no style it is just transportation.Driving is supposed to be fun So what has everyone been up to?Post up and share the fun.Come on guys who is driving their trucks and who is working on their trucks.I want to see pictures
Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 PM

Last photo:

DD, I'm glad to hear your wife is doing well , thats a great way to start the new year. I have been tinkering with my 57 some in the last 2 weeks, we had two weeks off for the weather and holidays, go back to work Monday.
I took the oak wood out of my bed thats only been in there a year and a half because the expensive marine varnish I used was going bad so I figured I had better get it out before it has to be replaced again. Then changed the intake manifold and valve covers tuned it up and going to change header gaskets tomorrw when the sun comes out.
I gott'a find another seat , i'm tired of fooling with the blanket thats thrown over it and it looks like crap !!!!!!!
Gene
Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

Great news on the wife DD. I'm glad she's doing well.
I'll post some pics on the little progress I've done when I get some more time. Hope to accomplish more in the coming year.
Kim
Old 01-02-2009, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarofiend73
I've got a '55 1/2 Big-window cab truck that was given to me-with no title

The truck is somewhat un-molested, except for the fleetside bed.
It has a running 235ci V-8 w/ 4speed trans.

Once I get the title situation handled, I'm gonna rebuild the braking system,rewire the electrical and swap the tired 235 for a rebuilt 350.

Future mods include a IFS & 4-Link rear suspension.
sounds good my step sons 55 big window we built we put 4 link and 78 cevy front suspinton and it rides and handels graet. allso put air bags in rear good luck from betty 55.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.