55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 75 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache
I want to be able to tow with my 58 and that will REQUIRE the best brakes I can get in order to do it as safe as reasonably possible. That means converting to disc brakes.

I also want a smaller steering wheel and a tilt column. That requires power steering.

If I put the body on a newer chassis, that will solve both of those issues at once, easily (I hope?) cheaply, and with easier to get parts.

The only issue is if the frame will be too wide for the body. I need to research that yet. I have heard of some guys welding on just the front section of the frame.

Steve
hay i used 78 chevy truck frontend it fits over stock frame perfict and handels we and stops graet good luck.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 04:33 AM

Last photo:

After so much silence it's the best news that your wife is better, DD..

Here's to a great new year for us all.

I'm anxious to hear about your power steering install and how it handles..

Truck wise, my old '56 3100 small window short bed is downstairs in my basement after spending years at another garaged location. Had the brakes and stock suspension, which were rebuilt years ago, checked and up to running condition. It's got new radials with inner tubes on stock 15" rims for now. Need to either fix the original tank or make a new one to stuff under the bed. Still searching for a BB tho to swap out the 235. The 235 in it now is not original to the truck and previous owners had an Olds V8 in there at some time and the last owner before I took over, put in a 235. The VIN tag states a 235 as from the factory and she was red the day she rolled off. I can appreciate the 235 but I want a pavement pounding behemoth to accentuate the muscle looks. Gas may not be cheaper but since I don't need a daily driver it will be for grins and giggles. Body wise she is still in red primer. So for now she has a tan cotton tweed cover to keep her looking presentable among the other brand new vehicles parked alongside. Have many new parts for her like door and window gaskets, new window channels, vent window parts, cab mounts, original style repro tail lights, front signal receptacles and lenses, rubber parts like hood bumpers and firewall grommets, steering column floor gasket, repro inside door handles, new door latches, door locks, wiper arms, mirrors and associated parts that I've collected over the years from places like The Truck Shop and Golden State Pickup Parts when Seth had the shop in Santa Ynez, California. Still have their old catalogs..

Hopefully I can get further this year as this has been a long time coming..

Last edited by dragonstruck; 01-03-2009 at 04:42 AM. Reason: left something out...
Old 01-03-2009, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty55
hay i used 78 chevy truck front end it fits over stock frame perfict and handels we and stops graet good luck.
Well I'm not sure I have a good picture of what you did or how you did it, so if you would care to go into details and post pictures that would help!

HOWEVER! I just purchased a 71 3/4 ton truck frame to use with my 58 Dually. I haven't decided to what extent I'm going to go with this, but I need the disc brakes and power steering off it.

I may cut and splice the frames together, or may just put the 58 cab on the 71 whole frame. I kind of like the idea of keeping it a dually though.

Any constructive input is welcomed! Here's what I have:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3214737

Steve
Old 01-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Good to see this thread running again. I got a question , what are you guys doing with the beds of your trucks ? I put new wood and stainless strips in my pu about 6 years ago. The finish I used lasted 1 summer and over the next five years the oak wood took a crap so a year and a half ago I put new oak wood in it again , this time I used an expensive marine finish , it lasted a year and a half and started to peel so I took the wood out before it turned to poop. Any way I was figuring on stripping the wood and finishing it again and putting it back in this time after I make some kind of hard tonneau cover to keep the elements off the bed wood. I have thought about other things besides oak wood bed boards. What do you guys think , any suggestions ?
Happy New Year , Gene
Old 01-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

Gene I saw one at a car show in Henderson Nevada that A guy used plate steel and painted it to look like wood.It looked good,at first glance I thought it was wood.He said he keeps it waxed like the rest of the truck.I don't think the paint would hold up here in Ely were we have snow and salt the roads.I have a roll top bed cover and a rubber bed mat on my fleetside bed so I dont think it will be a issue for me on my 58.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
Hey everybody how is your new year.Mine is great.It looks like my wife has beat this cancer thing for now.Winter snow has set in so I will be able to get back to work on the old blue 58 apache.I miss my old truck.This 98 Chevy just has no style it is just transportation.Driving is supposed to be fun So what has everyone been up to?Post up and share the fun.Come on guys who is driving their trucks and who is working on their trucks.I want to see pictures
Hey DD, glad to hear all is going well with you and your wife, that's great news! We have snow and ice here in NY too which is slowing me down, but I'm making steady progress on the 55.5 body mods. The modified drip rails are done and bondo'd smooth, the hood has been pancaked, bondo'd and smoothed, we radiussed the door corners, installed the bear claw door latches and bondo'd the metalwork smooth, cab corners are bondo'd and smoothed, we cut instrument pods (made of electrical conduit and exhaust pipes!) into the dash, welded them in and bondo'd smooth, and skim-coated the rest of the cab. I'm up to my ears in bondo dust....you know the drill though! I'll post some pix soon. Happy and Healthy New Year to all my fellow truckers!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Good to see this thread running again. I got a question , what are you guys doing with the beds of your trucks ? I put new wood and stainless strips in my pu about 6 years ago. The finish I used lasted 1 summer and over the next five years the oak wood took a crap so a year and a half ago I put new oak wood in it again , this time I used an expensive marine finish , it lasted a year and a half and started to peel so I took the wood out before it turned to poop. Any way I was figuring on stripping the wood and finishing it again and putting it back in this time after I make some kind of hard tonneau cover to keep the elements off the bed wood. I have thought about other things besides oak wood bed boards. What do you guys think , any suggestions ?
Happy New Year , Gene
Hi Gene,

I haven't done this yet, but my plan is to use aluminum stock in place of the wood strips. I have a large sheet of 1/8-inch thick aluminum "diamond plate" that I plan to rip into strips, use a wood backer below it as blocking to build the proper thickness and use that in place of the wood strips. If I have time, maybe engine-turn the aluminum to give it some character. Otherwise, just a sanded "mill finish" look. Anyway, that's my plan, I want to avoid real wood. The weather here in NY will ruin an applied finish to real wood.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last journal entry: Step notch
Last photo:

Has anyone tried using composite deck material?
I wonder if it would work in a truck bed?
I'm not much of a carpenter, so I don't want to install a new bed more than once or twice.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:33 AM

hey guys i have searched and found nothing. my dad would like to turn his 58 small window short wide bed into a 4x4. what front and rear solid axles should i be looking for? i have googled it and cant seem to find anything. i would like to get a whole truck/k5 if possible so i can get the tranny and transfer case. i would like to run a 700r4 behind the 235. my dad is a 30+ yaer machinist, so the adapter plate wont be a problem. just dont want to spend 400 for the plate when we can make one in about an hour.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

Hey Roadkill
Composite deck material , hmmmm, hadn't thought of that, mite be too thick.
I,ll check into it.

97SS
I did a 57 4x4 conversion years ago and I used axles and transfer case from a 72 half ton Chevy (open knuckle frontend and locking hubs and disc brakes)
Any axles from a 71 to 86 (solid front axle) Chevy pickup. Front axle bolts right in to the stock springs and the rearend bolts in after you move the spring pads.
Don't know what the parts would cost now , but it could be cheaper to get a whole semi-thrashed pickup, something bent and rusted out that runs decent.
Gene
Old 01-10-2009, 03:50 PM

Last photo:

57halfton have you considered pressure treated wood for a truck bed?It works for outside decks.Wipe a little Thompson's water seal on them every year and the wood look like new Roadkill nice truck 83 to 87 trucks are cheep a friend of mine just bought one for $800.The front and rear ends are only 1/2 inch wider than the 58s stock axles.You even maintain the stock off set for the rims.You can get them in 5 or 6 lug axles so you don't have to buy new rims and tires.I used a 87 1/2 ton GM 10 bolt under my truck.The 2 inch pads for the axles are cheep from Summit Racing.I even swapped my stock parking brake cables into the backing plates.I plan to build a 4x4 58 for my son after I finish my truck.Keep us posted on the progress with your trucks
Old 01-11-2009, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Update on 58 Dually tow project

Well I went and picked up my E-bay purchase, a 72 Chevy 3/4 ton rolling chassis.

I will be using the power steering and disc brakes, and possibly the whole frame. But I want to keep this truck a dually, so I may just bring the entire rear end over and convert to leaf springs.

On the other hand, I just may "cut and paste" ....err uh weld.

The 348 (looks like a 409) is the heart of the project and I have big plans, but few bucks. I think I'll start with my TH350 and a large cooler for a tranny.

Anyway, a trip west of Chicago in January is an adventure! Awesome shop where I picked up the frame with some great guys that have a lot of talent and some great toys!

I drove from Dayton Ohio to about 150 miles west of Chicago to pick this rolling chassis up. It was the right year range, equipped with what I needed and the price was worth the trip. We left about 6:30am and got home at about 1:30am the next morning. Luckily all went well with no troubles, and my tow dolly and the rolling rear end of the chassis worked just fine for a lot of miles.

The shop I went to had some great restored trucks and cars, and a whole host of parts and assemblies on storage shelves. There are some truly talented guys in this country and we continue to put out some awesome cars and trucks.

I'm looking forward to starting this project when it warms up. The chassis is parked on the side of the house for the winter.

What a fun, and rewarding hobby! And as Yakoff Smirnoff says "what a country!"

Steve
Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last photo:

57halfton, You might be able to have it milled to the right size.

DD, thank you.

I have a few donor vehicles but I'm not sure they would work.

The 12 bolt leaf spring rear is about 1" wider from backing plate to backing plate. I might look into an 83 to 87 pickup for parts.

My wife called and told me my parts were delivered today. Too bad I'm in Fallon working. I can't wait for Friday!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:11 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

Hey guys, finally got the transmission crossmember in. It went in pretty well. I expected the exhaust to be in the way, but it barely clears. For the mount, I used a generic GM rear trans mount and made a spacer from 1" square tubing to fill the gap. I've got some pics uploaded here...

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l6...drn1st/Apache/

-Matt
Old 01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last photo:

ChevApache59 nice looking crossmember.

DD: I took your advice, and was looking for an 83 to 87 pickup, but I found another 58 just north of Dayton NV.

I stopped, and checked it out on my way home from Fallon.

It is a GMC short wheelbase stepside with a 70's Chevelle front clip. It has a 400 smallblock bare block mocked up in the engine bay with an automatic trans. Also got a 350 with an edlebrock performer manifold (supposedly runs good). Removed a valve cover, and it is clean. Inside the cab is a pair of 2" drop spindles, roll pan for the rear, transcooler, a painted grill (chevy), and a chrome grill (chevy). Steering column is an early buick tiltwheel without column lock.

Drove back to Dayton Saturday loaded it up, and brought it home.

Now I have to decide which one to do the frame off to first.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.