55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 86 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last journal entry: Step notch
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I bought a powerboost/mastercylinder from Brothers last year. The documentation says it won't work with a manual transmission. Has anyone made it work? Is it just a mounting bracket issue? The truck has a three on the tree.

I finally started the motor today, and was thinking about driving it if I could get some brakes on it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 03:00 PM

brake booster

well if i understand you, it wont work , why ? do you think it needs to be moved and if so you can get an offset bracket to clear what ever you need it to or get a frame mount .
Old 07-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemibird43
well if i understand you, it wont work , why ? do you think it needs to be moved and if so you can get an offset bracket to clear what ever you need it to or get a frame mount .
The documentation says it won't work with a manual transmission.
I haven't tried yet. I was asking if anyone had tried to install, or make one work. Just trying to save myself some time. I can make whatever bracket I need.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

Roadkill
I don't know why and haven't made one work , my 57 is under the floor non power Corvette MC. My guess is that the whole assembly is long and moves forward and interferes with the clutch linkage.
Gene
Old 07-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Roadkill
I don't know why and haven't made one work , my 57 is under the floor non power Corvette MC. My guess is that the whole assembly is long and moves forward and interferes with the clutch linkage.
Gene
Thanks Gene. I plan on running an automatic anyway (later). I guess I should get under the truck and see for myself. I will be armed with brake kleen for the black widows.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Black widows , Now thats SCARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Black widows , Now thats SCARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scary, and fast, and big! The brake kleen (old school brake kleen from about 10 years ago) paralyzes them, and they drop to the ground. Not as bad as a brown recluse spider. I haven't seen any of them around here.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:27 AM

Last photo:

Roadkill58 I have the power brake set up from brothers.I had a manual trans and it is a clearance issue with the clutch linkage.It is a bit of work to get the bracket in and you have to relocate the wheel that changes the angle of the parking brake cable.I included a picture of the bracket installed in my 58 and a picture of the unit installed that shows were I relocated the wheel that changes the angle of the parking brake cable.I hope this helps.If you have any questions I will try to help.have fun.You will notice in the picture of the booster mounting bracket that the stock parking brake cable is gone and I have a 67 parking brake cable to replace it.I removed the stock parking brake to make room for a future set of out the wheel well headers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0180 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	39213   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0192 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	39214  

Last edited by DOUBLEDICK; 07-04-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last photo:

DD, Thanks for pics. Did you have to drill the holes in the frame for the bracket?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

Roadkill58 It has been a while since I did mine.As I remember the front part of the bracket bolts on in the holes of the original master cylinder.I just bolted the bracket on and drilled through the holes in the back part of the bracket and put bolts through the holes.The pulley for the parking brake is exactly 8 1/2 inches further down the frame(to back of truck)from the stock location at the same hight as the stock location.Brothers trucks web site has a tech article that you should check out before you start.Keep us posted
Old 07-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
Roadkill58 It has been a while since I did mine.As I remember the front part of the bracket bolts on in the holes of the original master cylinder.I just bolted the bracket on and drilled through the holes in the back part of the bracket and put bolts through the holes.The pulley for the parking brake is exactly 8 1/2 inches further down the frame(to back of truck)from the stock location at the same hight as the stock location.Brothers trucks web site has a tech article that you should check out before you start.Keep us posted
Thanks DD. I checked out the article on Brothers. They have a lot of tech articles covering just about everything I will end up doing to this truck.
I've decided to repair the brakes as stock until I pull the motor out.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Roadkill58 I have the power brake set up from brothers.I had a manual trans and it is a clearance issue with the clutch linkage.It is a bit of work to get the bracket in and you have to relocate the wheel that changes the angle of the parking brake cable.I included a picture of the bracket installed in my 58 and a picture of the unit installed that shows were I relocated the wheel that changes the angle of the parking brake cable.I hope this helps.If you have any questions I will try to help.have fun.You will notice in the picture of the booster mounting bracket that the stock parking brake cable is gone and I have a 67 parking brake cable to replace it.I removed the stock parking brake to make room for a future set of out the wheel well headers.
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this up-grade for my '55 but I'm keeping the manual trans. So I'm guessing I'll have to up-grade to the firewall m/c and booster-anybody do that swap lately?

I'm also looking into swapping the rear drums for disc on an original rear-any thoughts on that?
I'm looking to keep the truck somewhat ol' school (except for the brake system)- no billet or any new shiny trinkets.
I'm also gonna keep the 6-lug bolt pattern.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

Camarofiend73 Please get under your truck and take some pictures of your clutch set up.I think with a few simple modifications you can run the under body brake set up.I think moving the whole thing back and using a longer rod would get the booster out of the way of the linkage and clutch arm sticking out of the bell housing.Take some pictures with measurements of location of clutch arm from frame and from crossmember as well as the linkage and were it travels.I will measure how far over and how far back the booster is.It would not be hard to modify the booster bracket to set it farther back to clear the clutch linkages.It is simple to cut the booster arm and weld in a extension.It costs nothing but a little time to find out.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Camarofiend73 Please get under your truck and take some pictures of your clutch set up.I think with a few simple modifications you can run the under body brake set up.I think moving the whole thing back and using a longer rod would get the booster out of the way of the linkage and clutch arm sticking out of the bell housing.Take some pictures with measurements of location of clutch arm from frame and from crossmember as well as the linkage and were it travels.I will measure how far over and how far back the booster is.It would not be hard to modify the booster bracket to set it farther back to clear the clutch linkages.It is simple to cut the booster arm and weld in a extension.It costs nothing but a little time to find out.
Ya, thanks, that's the kind of info I was lookin' for.
So is there any reason not to go with the m/c & booster on the firewall other than cost?

As for the other questions, ya, I can get under there and do some measurin' and picture taking. But first, I'll need to swap out 3 tires (the current ones rotted out from the sun) and the truck is currently being used by a Black Widow colony, so I'll have some "de-bugging" to do before I get intimate with it.
Last time I looked, there was no trans crossmember, somebody had rigged up some plumbers tape at the tailshaft of the trans-yeah, waayy hokie.
So I was planning on fabbing a x-memeber already.
Thanks again 'cause I really wanna move forward with this project before winter comes around (granted it's a California winter, but winter nontheless)

I'll try to post up some pics in the next couple of weeks.
CF73
Old 07-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarofiend73
Ya, thanks, that's the kind of info I was lookin' for.
So is there any reason not to go with the m/c & booster on the firewall other than cost?

As for the other questions, ya, I can get under there and do some measurin' and picture taking. But first, I'll need to swap out 3 tires (the current ones rotted out from the sun) and the truck is currently being used by a Black Widow colony, so I'll have some "de-bugging" to do before I get intimate with it.
Last time I looked, there was no trans crossmember, somebody had rigged up some plumbers tape at the tailshaft of the trans-yeah, waayy hokie.
So I was planning on fabbing a x-memeber already.
Thanks again 'cause I really wanna move forward with this project before winter comes around (granted it's a California winter, but winter nontheless)

I'll try to post up some pics in the next couple of weeks.
CF73
Camarofiend73 don't forget the brake kleen! I have a firewall mount on my 71 and it does get in the way sometimes. DD That sounds like a good idea. Whats the worst that could happen (other than Black Widows) maybe lengthen a brake line?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.