55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 88 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Steven

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL
Just a thought regarding your front tire issue: another option is to order wheels with whatever offset you need to tuck them in more. Might be cheaper than messing with new control arms, steering gear, etc. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

Antny
Another problem has been brought around to my attention. my tire is rubbing on my fender wall. I took the wheels off today and found my tire is a little worn away. My hearing keeps me from learning what is needed... If I use a different rim I will rub more, if I use a different control arm I will rub. What is everyone else doing to fight this issue because I am planning to chop the frame and slam my truck to the ground. So taking care of this issue is a MUST.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache_Boy
Another problem has been brought around to my attention. my tire is rubbing on my fender wall. I took the wheels off today and found my tire is a little worn away. My hearing keeps me from learning what is needed... If I use a different rim I will rub more, if I use a different control arm I will rub. What is everyone else doing to fight this issue because I am planning to chop the frame and slam my truck to the ground. So taking care of this issue is a MUST.
Mine is slammed a bit (about 6" lower than "stock", via a TCI MII kit and 2" dropped spindles). I ordered 15x7 steelie wheels from Vintique with about a 3.5" offset if I recall correctly. I have about an inch of clearance between the tire and fender, no rub lock-to-lock, and no tire interference at the frame either, it clears by about an inch. Maybe your wheel offset isn't deep enough?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last journal entry: Step notch
Last photo:

Hey! Wake up everyone! Is everyone to busy to post, or what? I've been dealing with Kalifornia DMV, and the CHP for VIN verification on the GMC (out of state truck). One last hurdle, and I will have the "pink slip daddy"!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

Hey Roadkill

Hey Bud,I'm still out here. Been learning different stuff on the other forums. This my first attempt at belonging to a forum, figured I'd bounce around and find some folks who like to bench race. I love Doubledicks thread, got some nice people on here, but I have be careful about wearing out my welcome,I do love bench racing(like to talk). Was It a big hassle to get California paper work on your truck? You seemed kinda excited to get it! Man I love the gasser photos you posted! I was headed that way with my project originally, was gonna built it pretty much a drag truck. After ready DD's posts and realizing you can make these trucks behave alot better with sway bars, I decided to build it as a driver. What's the plan with yours?
nolan
Old 07-31-2009, 12:10 AM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last journal entry: Step notch
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
Hey Bud,I'm still out here. Been learning different stuff on the other forums. This my first attempt at belonging to a forum, figured I'd bounce around and find some folks who like to bench race. I love Doubledicks thread, got some nice people on here, but I have be careful about wearing out my welcome,I do love bench racing(like to talk). Was It a big hassle to get California paper work on your truck? You seemed kinda excited to get it! Man I love the gasser photos you posted! I was headed that way with my project originally, was gonna built it pretty much a drag truck. After ready DD's posts and realizing you can make these trucks behave alot better with sway bars, I decided to build it as a driver. What's the plan with yours?
nolan
It can get ugly real fast dealing with Kalifornia DMV. I'm still not finished with DMV for the 58 GMC. The 58 Chevy is a Kalifornia truck, and I have the "Pink Slip Daddy", so I'm working on it now. It will be a fast driver.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill58
It can get ugly real fast dealing with Kalifornia DMV. I'm still not finished with DMV for the 58 GMC. The 58 Chevy is a Kalifornia truck, and I have the "Pink Slip Daddy", so I'm working on it now. It will be a fast driver.
That's fer shure...I went thru a local professional registration service to get the paperwork for my '55. She verified the VIN and dealt with all the DMV hoops The service wasn't cheap, but it only took 2 weeks to receive my tags & plates.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL
Mine is slammed a bit (about 6" lower than "stock", via a TCI MII kit and 2" dropped spindles). I ordered 15x7 steelie wheels from Vintique with about a 3.5" offset if I recall correctly. I have about an inch of clearance between the tire and fender, no rub lock-to-lock, and no tire interference at the frame either, it clears by about an inch. Maybe your wheel offset isn't deep enough?
Hmmmm.....anybody rollin' on 17's?
I thought this may be a cheap way to go-
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CR...0/?image=large

I know they aren't that pretty, but disc brakes will certainly clear-
I chopped a set onto my truck-

The only snag I see could be the backspacings that are offered-4.5" & 5"
I plan on doing some measuring this weekend.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 AM

Last photo:

You want to keep the stock back spacing.With stock spaceing you can run a 10.5 wide tire and not hit the fleetside bed.I run 31x10.5 tires on 15 inch rims.The tall tires on a 17 rim should fit and look good doing it
Old 08-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last journal entry: 55 chevy 2nd series truck
Last photo:

Fuel tank help

Has anyone bought an aftermarket fuel tank ,stainless or aluminum, for under the bed mounting on a 552nd to 59 truck. I have access to stainless scraps and a good weilder at work. I just need dimensions. Thanks Lil John
Old 08-03-2009, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
You want to keep the stock back spacing.With stock spaceing you can run a 10.5 wide tire and not hit the fleetside bed.I run 31x10.5 tires on 15 inch rims.The tall tires on a 17 rim should fit and look good doing it
What's the stock backspace?
I measured the wheels on there now and IIRC, they were 3.25" bs ( I think, I have it written down somewhere)
Old 08-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Lil John
I have an after market tank on my 57 , it's an aluminum tank from No Limit , holds 17 gallons. Iv'e heard tanks from 69/70 Mustangs work also.
Let me know if your interested i'll take some measurments for you. My bed wood is out and I can try to post some pics if I can figure that out.
Gene
Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Steven

Last photo:

yep those fuel cells are 1st page in the new LMC Catalog.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:01 PM

I'm replacing cab corners,cab steps, and most everything in that general area on my '59. Does anyone have any close up pics of how everything should line up as far as the bottom door gap, and where the rockers and cab corners meet?
Any help is appreciated!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

I did that work to my 55.5 last summer. Check my Photo Album for some pix. I recommend 2 things: 1) brace the door jambs before cutting out anything, across the door opening and across the cab. 2) before welding anything, use the door to align everything, to make sure the gaps are acceptable.

Hope this helps, and enjoy!

Last edited by AntnyL; 08-14-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Steven

Last photo:

is there anyone around the dfw, tx area? i need help... lol also i need to learn if this bird/air plane lookin emblem is factory from 58 apache 32. I havent decided if i wanna take it off or not.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.