55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2006, 08:01 PM
DaveNTN

Last journal entry: The Dash is ready!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What a day. Decided to pull the engine today. First engine I've ever pulled. Left the transmission on figuring it would be better pulling them out together. Everything went pretty well until I found myself alone in my garage with the engine up in the air, my lift maxed out and another 12 inches to go to even think of clearing the front of the truck. Where is a good sky hook when you need one. I spent awhile just looking at my mess, then started working my way out of it. I got the front of the oil pan up on the cross member that the hood latches to, put a jack under the transmission with a 4 x 4 propped up against it holding it agains the firewall, put a chain around the hoist at the grab bar and put each end of the chain in the motor mounts. I actually got it to stay in this position long enough to drop the boom and get as much lift out of the hoist I could. Jacked it back up and just barely cleared everything. I was so glad to see that engine and trans sitting on the floor instead of 4 feet in the air. When I build my garage I'm putting in an I beam overhead with a hoist. Whew.... left the whole mess sitting in a puddle of transmission fluid. Gonna take the trans to be rebuilt and a shift kit installed. What a great opportunity for something bad to happen and didn't. Guess I'm just a little green when it comes to trusting a chain and a hoist holding that much weight over my truck.
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2006, 06:55 AM

Last photo:

I didn,t think to tell you to extend the boom all the way out and pull the carb off,run a chain from the back of one head across to the front of the other head so you can get the hook as close to the manifold as possible.I also have a set of old stock rims that I put on the front instead of tires.Gets that front end down low but I don't have to worry about knocking it off of jack stands.Old six lug rims are everywhere just be sure to get the late model rims so they clear the caliper on the front disks,just look on the back the ones you want don't taper down to the center hub.That will make it allot easier to get the engine and trans back in.Good luck on your project Dave and have fun doing it.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Dave,
Been there, done that.

The rim idea is a good one, I have used it in the past, on the 4x4 s
My 2 wheeler is lowered, actually have to raise the truck to get the legs of the hoist under it.

Bryan
Old 11-19-2006, 06:42 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

Well I lived through it. Put a brake cylinder on the 53 this morning ( my daily driver ) and took the tranny off of the engine. Have everything sitting in the garage floor all nice and neat. Spent most of the day labeling bolts and cleaning up the mess in the floor. I'm taking this engine back to the guy that built it for the guy I bought it from. Figured it was still under warranty so why break into it. I was wondering, do they make something to mount an engine to transport it or do any of you have a good way of mounting the block that would save me some time? I'm dropping picks of the project in the journal.
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by dmaggard; 11-19-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:24 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

To late.... built one.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engineframe.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	16346  
Old 11-23-2006, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

Nice engine stand.I just use an old tire myself.I am just not as ambitious as you Dave
Old 11-23-2006, 03:47 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

I have to travel 400 miles with it. Figured I better make sure it wasn't going anywhere... Happy Bird Day to ya.
Dave
Old 11-23-2006, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Dave. Happy thanksgiving to you and yours as well.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:47 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Hey Richard (DOUBLEDICK), just checked out the website from your post in the other thread. Nice set-up. I've been trying to get our members to start a web site but no luck so far. It would be cool if we could post club news instead of mailing monthly newsletters. Maybe some day. I'm going to check out your site some more. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2006, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

Thanks dmorris1200.Adam Despain is the one behind the club website.He puts in countless hours to keep it up.Fortunately for the club he is an over achiever in his computer programing classes.I look forward to seeing your posts on the site.We have a couple of mustang guys in the club and ugly 68 has a mustang club that would love to here from other mustang owners.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:21 PM
DaveNTN

Last photo:

I couldn't find the post with the website. What is it?
Dave
Old 11-24-2006, 06:11 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaggard
I couldn't find the post with the website. What is it?
Dave
It was a thread in the engine forum here...

Vacuum Advance

Quote:
Fortunately for the club he is an over achiever in his computer programing classes.
Every club needs one of those guys.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

Dave we were talking about the club I am in and its web site "classicsandrods.com" C.A.R.s is a very small club but you would never know it if you judged it by the web site.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

I started my 58 about 3 years ago
Several times I would get frustrated and leave it for months on end but I can now see the light. Check out our webpage to see what we have done, We will be updating it soon, we are going to have our business name painted on the side along with some pinstriping. We just got the final tune on the 383 and it rocks !! The roll bar is done, and the blitz black done with rollers and rattle cans, I would almost call it a rat rod but really its done more in the spirit of a Hot Rod with some modern parts. http://callieskustoms.com/CalliesKus...r%20Truck.html
Old 11-27-2006, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

xxllmm4 Your 58 is coming along nicely.With that flat bed it will make a nice work truck and still be a hot rod at heart.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.