55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 91 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 05:31 PM

Last journal entry: pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone in the L.A. Area?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Last photo:

Not me , Nor Cal.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last journal entry: Step notch
Last photo:

The big brown truck dropped some goodies off this week. I got an aluminum fuel tank to mount between the frame rails behind the rear end. I also got the CPP disk brake conversion kit for the front axel.

The instructions for installing the fuel tank involves removing the bed.
I didn't have any help. Well I did have my cherry picker.

I was able to get the stock brakes working on the truck. Replaced the brake hoses in the front, and bled the brakes. They work ok.

The motor that came with the truck runs very well. It hadn't been started in 10 years. I drove it down the road last week (don't tell DMV). The 3-speed trans is fully syncronized. Got some second gear rubber on the way back! Check out my journal for more info.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Steven

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill58
I drove it down the road last week (don't tell DMV).
Bad *** man! yeah I drove mine just yesterday. I finally got it running half *** and i was so proud. the ignition stuck though so i need to go to vato zone and get a new 81 gmc ignition.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 AM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last journal entry: 55 chevy 2nd series truck
Last photo:

Has anyone installed ac on there truck? If so which brand? I called sachse rod shop and was told that vintage air discontinued the 55-59 under dash kit. They told me to call old air products. Has anyone used this one? I am going to Goodguys show this weekend at the texas motor speedway and I think I saw both of these ac vendors there last year so maybe they will have some show deals. Any info appreciated.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 AM

Last photo:

Hey Lil John

Hey Man, I haven't installed one yet, but its in the project plan when I get the bucks saved up. Vintage Air still has the 55-59 kits on their website, both complete and evaporator only kits. Retail $1125/$600. Guess you'll have to call to verify. If you do, please let us know. olnolan
Old 10-01-2009, 03:50 AM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last photo:

I called vintage air and they said 55-59 truck ac systems were not discontinued. but that the dash control was 195.00 by itself and the evap unit with vents was 600.00 which is cable operated. The old air unit was 750.00 with electronic control for dash included. I'm gonna see if I can get a better deal this weekend at the goodguys show at the texas motor speedway. Has anyone used either one of these units? Is the electronic that much better or not on the old air unit?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Check Southren Air , A guy I work with is installing Southren Air kit in his 57 Chevy pickup. But he's not done yet. I have seen there adds in Street Rodder magazine and they don't look bad.
Gene
Old 10-01-2009, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

A/C Kits

Hey Gene, Thanks for the tip on Southern Air. Just checked the web site and the price looks alot better than others. I've already got the compressor on my engine so I just need the evaporator kit, a condensor and hoses. Hope everything is well with you and yours. Later,olnolan.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Steven

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil John
Has anyone installed ac on there truck? If so which brand? I called sachse rod shop and was told that vintage air discontinued the 55-59 under dash kit. They told me to call old air products. Has anyone used this one? I am going to Goodguys show this weekend at the texas motor speedway and I think I saw both of these ac vendors there last year so maybe they will have some show deals. Any info appreciated.
Sachse Rod Shop is good people, they can treat ya right. I had a A/C system in my Apache when I bought it and a heater but I took both out. I will find out what kind of A/C system it is. I PM'd you by the way. I am not sure if the system works but I will try to find out. I need to clear out my garage.

Also just a FYI because you are local. Don Scott from Scott Rods is where I get work done when I need it. They are located at Saturn Rd & Kingsley Rd in Garland, Tx 75041. I can get you an exact location and directions if needed. They are close family friends since I have known them since I was born. Me and his son go out drinking and hotroddin' every weekend pretty much.

WHILE I'm here I would like to sneak in a quick question. I am wanting to take my tailgate off and paint it but I have been running into this problem and not wanting to mess up need a little help. The bolts on the tailgate I can turn (lefty loosy righty tighty) and the roller inside is turning with the bolt. Is there a special tool I need to take it off? Looks like the bolt is just rusted on the nut so it just turns it without knocking it loose. The bolts on the steps are the exact same way. Should I soak them with WD40 or what is recommended?

Last edited by Apache_Boy; 10-01-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last photo:

Thanks guys I appreciate the info I did have good luck with sachse before when I bought my MII front end ,but I'm not sure why they told me that vintage air no longer sold kits for the 55-59 chevy trucks? I will look up the southern air guys. I just received an alluminum tank I found on ebay from CPP I got it about 150.00 less than regular price . It looks like very good quality to me and came with the 30 ohm sending unit also. I'm getting closer all the time I've only had my truck since my sophmore year in high school, 17 years and still not finished. I was surprised to find the guy that I bought my truck from last week on the stovebolt page.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Steven

Last photo:

shoot* i've had mine for 4yrs and it aint completely on the road yet. Almost though.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last photo:

I went to the Goodguys show today and looked at the ac's Old Air and Vintage Air. I think for the money that Old Air is what I'm gonna buy when I get the money. I spoke with Rick there I think hes the sales manager . He seemed like a good guy and real knowledgeable also. I'm gonna get the cable operated just because there's less points of failure with the two servo's and two potentiometers for dampers and heater valves. The old air kit comes with the controller but the vintage air cost 200.00 more for it.

Thanks for the help John
Old 10-07-2009, 11:16 AM

59 Apache

Hi Guys,

Trying to fit after market doors on my 59. The top gap slopes from front to back. Have to grind and reweld the bottoms in several places due to them not being straight to the rocker pannel.

Can you help me by posting some pictures of the gaps on the top of the door going back to the cab.

THANKS
Old 10-11-2009, 11:30 PM

Last journal entry: pic
Last photo:

has anyone done a 4 link setup. im looking at replacing my rear leaf springs and considering this upgrade.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.