55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 92 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 07:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I did a four bar set up from No Limit it's their Fat Bar kit and I went with the air bags. I'm not to impressed with the ride but I don't have the wood floor in the bed.
Gene

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last journal entry: Step notch
Last photo:

Got the fuel tank mounted, fuel pump plumbed. Don't need my redneck fuel cell anymore. I started installing the disk brake conversion on the front axel but came to a screeching halt. I ordered the slotted, and drilled disk option. In order for them to do this they installed an inner and outer race. The kit came with the new inner races (for installing), but no outer races. The problem is the installed outer races are not compatible with the supplied bearings. The bearing falls through the race. I called CPP, and talked to their tech support, and got attitude. This will be my last purchase from CPP. Now I am waiting for the new races to show up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel tank mounted.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	41229  
Old 10-15-2009, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

Cpp Customer Service

Hey Road Kill, Glad you're making progress. I appreciate the heads up on CPP. This is about the umpteenth time I have heard about them shipping the wrong stuff or defective stuff, then having to deal with some schithead trying to get it straightened out. Customer satisfaction does not seem to be of any concern to them. I'm saving $$$$$ to build mine complete with one set of major purchases. CPP has alot of stuff I need but its also available thru other vendors. Guess where I AIN'T spending my money. Thanks again, keep up the photos. olnolan
Old 10-15-2009, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

Roadkill nice fuel tank. How many gallons does it hold ? Will the filler inlet on the top of the tank clear the underside of the bed floor ? Where will the filler come out to ? I have never had any dealings with CPP , they have alot of neat stuff BUT other people have neat stuff too and good customer service.
Gene
Old 10-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Roadkill nice fuel tank. How many gallons does it hold ? Will the filler inlet on the top of the tank clear the underside of the bed floor ? Where will the filler come out to ? I have never had any dealings with CPP , they have alot of neat stuff BUT other people have neat stuff too and good customer service.
Gene
Thanks Gene. I got the fuel tank from Brothers (ATK0000). It holds approximately 20 gallons. The inlet should clear the bed. I can notch the frame if need to for the inlet hose. I was thinking of grafting a fuel door off of something into the fender.
CPP update. I got the outer races today. They match up to the supplied bearings, however, the outside diameter of the race is about a 1/4" smaller than the installed race. Once again I called CPP. They said they would check the invoice to see what was shipped, and call me back. It's 6:35 PM, so I doubt he will call back this evening. It's starting to look like they sent the wrong rotors. CPP claims to guarranty their parts for life. I guess they will last forever if you can't install them on your truck!

Last edited by Roadkill58; 10-16-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last photo:

I called CPP this morning, and Ron said he would call me back. Around 2:00 PM I called, and told them where I was going to put their parts. After being on hold for some time they asked for the part number on the rotors. Turns out they sent the wrong rotors. I told them on Monday that I thought the rotors where the wrong ones. Now they are sending me a label to ship back the wrong ones before they will send me the right ones. Sounds like two more weeks of waiting. That is such bull****! I will never do business with these a**holes again. I am going to tell everyone I know, so they don't make the mistake of doing business with these jerks. Too bad. Like olnolan I was going to spend some dough on sway bars, shocks, and a bunch of other stuff. Not only on this Chevy, but on the GMC as well. I didn't think a company could stay in business treating customers this way in todays economy. I guess they don't look at this website.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:41 PM
...these go to eleven

Last photo:

Hey guys...just happened to check the thread and oddly enough I'm doing a disc conversion as well. I just ordered and received a 5-lug disc brake kit from Speedway Motors. The kit I received appears to be the exact same one that CPP sells. I am about to get to work on it...after reading this, I'm hoping I have all the right parts in my kit. The kit came with regular solid rotors so hopefully the bearings and all will match up properly.

On a bit of a side note, for anyone else considering this conversion, apparently Speedway Motors P/N 910-31916 is the exact same kit as CPP P/N 4759DBK-5, and Speedway's price is quite a bit lower. I was surprised when I opened up the box...there's even a CPP instruction sheet.

Sorry to hear about that mess, Roadkill. Hopefully the deadbeats will get it straightened out soon.

Good luck!
-Matt
Old 10-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last journal entry: 55 chevy 2nd series truck
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill58
Thanks Gene. I got the fuel tank from Brothers (ATK0000). It holds approximately 20 gallons. The inlet should clear the bed. I can notch the frame if need to for the inlet hose. I was thinking of grafting a fuel door off of something into the fender.
CPP update. I got the outer races today. They match up to the supplied bearings, however, the outside diameter of the race is about a 1/4" smaller than the installed race. Once again I called CPP. They said they would check the invoice to see what was shipped, and call me back. It's 6:35 PM, so I doubt he will call back this evening. It's starting to look like they sent the wrong rotors. CPP claims to guarranty their parts for life. I guess they will last forever if you can't install them on your truck!

What kind of service have you gotten from Brothers ? I was wondering if I just picked things that they don't keep in stock or someone just doesn't like me ,because every time I order from them it shows that my parts are backordered for a month. I can order from Classic Chevy Truck Parts, and get those parts in 3-4 days at the most. I ordered a fuel tank on Ebay from CPP because it was so much cheaper than everywhere else ,and in the CPP catalog by like $100.00. I had to call CPP to find the item again because I missed it . The guy I talked to didn't seem like he cared to help me very much but I thought maybe it was just me . This was the guy that sells things on Ebay though. I am pleased with the price and the parts I received for the money.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Lil John]What kind of service have you gotten from Brothers ?

Brothers are not the fastest shippers. They like to wait until they have everything before they ship (saves money). So far the customer service is good. I will continue to order parts from Brothers. I wish I had ordered the disk brake conversion from them.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last photo:

So far I've waited a month on a dash bezel they had on sale for my truck. I figured they were over stocked that was the reason for the sale but I guess not. So far I've always gotten good parts from them though.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last photo:

I got my fuel tank plumbed with 3/8 stainless finally. I started plumbing in my tranny cooler lines also. It's been too long since I've bent tubing I need more tubing already and couplings. I'm getting closer to driving it.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:05 PM

Last journal entry: Drop axle install
Last photo:

I've installed the disc brake and power steering conversion from Speedway on my '59 as well, and found that they were originally from CPP. I got to comparing the part numbers, and it looks like speedway even uses their part numbers (with a couple numbers added). When I went to get the under floor booster, I shopped around and found that even though Speedway and Pirate Jack had the same booster for less, it came without the Proportioning valve and/or the mounting bracket. Long story short, I got it from CPP. Their cust service guy actually helped me out with what I really needed. I got the parts in about 2 weeks. THe disc kit wasn't too hard to install, but the instructions were wrong. I had to polish the spindle and ise a PVC drift to get the bearing spacer to seat.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:09 AM

Last photo:

Hi guys I am currently stuck in Las Vegas at Sunrise hospital.Linda had more surgery and now she has a blood infection so she is stuck in the hospital and on super strong antibiotics.I thought I would join in.Cpp has top shelf parts but they don't seem to care if we buy them or not.It took them almost a full year to get their power assisted steering unit to me.I have nothing but time and still don't have it installed yet.Brothers Trucks has great customer service and there hard parts and glass are great but their dash parts and cables suck.I ended up replacing the new cables I bought from them with the old ones and bought chrome metal replacement knobs from classic truck parts(formerly Chevy Duty)Speedway has great parts but their freight charges to Ely make them the most expensive supplier around and god help you if you order the wrong part the restocking fee and return freight are half the price you paid.I bought a set of headers from them for $250.they were not even close to what I needed.Freight to me was $50 return freight and restock charge was $75 dollars.It cost me $125 for what.I still had no headers and I no longer had enough money to buy a set from someone else.I threw all their catalogs in the wood burner in my garage.At least I got free heat from them.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Last journal entry: Sept 10 ,2006 ( In my shop)
Last photo:

your sway bar axel plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLEDICK
My name is Richard Johnson and I am building my second Apache truck.I drive this truck every day and am doing everything I can to make it a pleasure to drive and still be a good work truck.I like modern drive trains and stock body and interiors.I am looking for other guys that have and drive these trucks to talk to and share Ideas and designs for custom made parts with.I have sent private messages to a few people on this board and only one person responded.At his request I sent him pictures of my custom sway bar mounts so he could make some for his truck.Without sway-bars these trucks are no fun to drive.I am curious to see what others have done and share ideas.

I sure would like to have a template of your plates that bolt to your u bolts, they look clean. mine is a bought swaY BAR KIT , AND THEY JUST A SHOT PIECE OF ANGLE IRON FOR BRACKETS, YOURS ARE COOOOOOOOOL . IF YOU CAN HELP ME , MY E-MAIL IS johnshar@sbcglobal.net THANKS JOHNNY
Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

Hey Doubledick

Hey DD, Hope and pray all goes well with your wife. Just thought I'd let you know your absence is obvious and me and others here are wishing you all the best under the circumstances. olnolan

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.