55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 93 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Door Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig legacy
Hi Guys,

Trying to fit after market doors on my 59. The top gap slopes from front to back. Have to grind and reweld the bottoms in several places due to them not being straight to the rocker pannel.

Can you help me by posting some pictures of the gaps on the top of the door going back to the cab.

THANKS
Hey Craig, I was gonna try and get a photo of the door gaps but I've been to busy. Mine don't line up real good due to sagging hinges so it might be a poor example. But if nobody can get you a photo post again and I'll try and make the time. olnolan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 09:57 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

sway bar mounts

Johnny...I am the guy DD (DoubleDick) gave the dimensions for the sway bar mounts. If you look in my journal at post 124 thru 127 you can see how I made mine. It is a direct copy of the ones DD made. (He is the tri 5 king!) There is a pic of the template I made with dimensions. If you need me to go take some pics or need more info let me know.

I have had to put my truck on hold...but I'll get back to it before the years end!

Later.
Gator412 (James)

DD I sent you a PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

Anyone in Northren California have a good stock frame with springs for a 55 to 59 half ton short bed Chevy or GMC pickup?
Gene
Old 10-21-2009, 12:51 AM

Last photo:

Thanks allot guys.It has been a rough 3 weeks.On an up note,I found out today that Cleary Building corp. is finally going to get my garage put up next week.It will be 24x36.I tore the driveway out and brought in 27 tons of road base and got it all leveled out and marked off.I even got the building permit the week before we came down for surgery.Linda and I refinanced the house to put up the shop when we thought we had this cancer thing beat.After we found out the cancer was back Linda did not want me to wait on the garage.I spent the money to finish the 58 on travel and lodging when we had to stay in Vegas for 7 weeks for radiation and chemo therapy.We drove home every weekend to be with the kids when gas was $5 a gallon so it didn't take long to exhaust those funds.Linda did not want that to happen to the garage fund to so we signed the contract and paid for the building.I will post a picture when it is done
Old 10-21-2009, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

???????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Anyone in Northren California have a good stock frame with springs for a 55 to 59 half ton short bed Chevy or GMC pickup?
Gene
Hey Gene, Are you gonna do what I think you're gonna do? olnolan
Old 10-21-2009, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

OLNOLAN, What do you think i'm going to do ???????
This is good, I am seriously thinking of building a 57 4X4 using 72 to 87 solid axle running gear. About 30 years back I built a 57 4x4 from the frame up.
I started with a stock 57 with a six and a granny 4 speed it took a day and a half to tear it down to a bare frame. The 4x4 front axle bolts right up to the 57 front springs and the rearend goes right in with moving the spring pads and 4 inch lift blocks to level it out the trans and transfer case bolt right in spacing the mounts down about an inch. It's a lot easier than doing the Mustang II frontend and 4 bar rear suspension I have now and with all that done I'll just start with a good stock frame and sell the lowered truckrod frame I guess. My only problem is the lack of garage space to build this 4x4.
My last one turned out real nice but the family was young and we out grew it so we sold it and got a Blazer , now the kids are grown and moved out and it's time for another one. And my wife loves the idea of another one also,(big plus).
Gene
Old 10-21-2009, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Back To Stock Setup

Hey Gene, I thought that you had got so tired of your ill handling setup, you were going back to stock. 4x4 is cool, sort of a late model Napco. With big tires and a lumpy cam you'll be every Rednecks Hero. And if your wife is cool with the funding, thats a green light. Don't forget to do photos of the build for the 55-59 owners out here. We live for this stuff. olnolan
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 PM

Last photo:

1958 Chevy Pick up help

Wow, I found you guys. Thank you DBLDick for pointing me in the right direction.
I have begun my project. I have the bed apart and identified my broken parts and what I need replaced. I hope I can just ask a few questions and be able to get some opinions or guidance. So I will jump right in and ask only one question at a time so I do not overload myself or anyone one willing to help.

I am going to relocate the gas tank to be placed under the bed between the rear axle and the bumper. I need the leg room. I would like to have power seats. When I say seats, I would like to have a split bench seat so that my passenger can have the distance to their liking.

So my question is, has anyone done a set up such as this? Can you recommend a seat that will fit my application? For example (a 1967 Lincoln continental seat, maybe a modern vehicle seat will fit in there). I am looking for someone that may have tackled this.

On the flip side, is there someone that wants to tell me I am crazy and I should leave well enough alone or that I should go with some bucket seats?

disclaimer: The truck will not be stock, it is going to be a daily driving hot rod. I have a 327 and my neighbor and I working on it right now to get 400hp from it.

Thank you for your input and I plan on being at the Turlock Chevy swap meet this weekend. It is suppose to be HUGE!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6506resized.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	41401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6516resized.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	41402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6519resized.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	41403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6523resized.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	41404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6513resized.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	41405  

Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

Gene, I am thinking about making my 55 a 4X4 also. I have it torn down to the frame right now. (Look in my journal to see where I am.) My next step is to mount the engine and transmission with the new cross members I bought. I'm going to watch your build and see how you do it.

Life has been busy so I haven't worked on the truck much. But I hope to soon.....I hear it calling my name.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

Easy guys , this is still in the pondering stages. Iv'e done it before and would like to do it again. My biggest problem right now is inside space to build it. My garage is full !!!!!!!
Mighty Zuris, welcome aboard. If their's anything you want to know there is someone here thats done it or at least tried to do it. As far as moving the gas tank for more seat movement I don't think that well help. I believe the top of the seat will contact the back of the cab before you have any gas tank interference. Anyway I moved mine out of the cab to under the bed, it's a 17 gallon tank from No Limit Enginerring. I have heard seats from 88 and up Chevy and GMC trucks work well and there is all kinds of styles to choose from. I was thinking of a multi-direction power seat but once you get it where you want it thats where it stays.
Gene
Old 10-23-2009, 02:17 AM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last journal entry: Step notch
Last photo:

Update on CPP. I called Monday to follow up on the shipping label they were sending me. They told me they were shipping the correct rotors as well.
Today (Thursday) the big brown truck showed up with the rotors. The driver waited for me to get the shipping label out of the box so I could give him the wrong rotors for return. At least they didn't make me wait for them to get the wrong rotors before they shipped the correct ones. After all it was their mistake that has set me back 2 weeks. After drilling and slotting the rotors they didn't bother to clean them. They shipped them dirty. It took a while to clean all the "grit" out of the rotors. I used a wire brush and about 4 cans of brake clean. They will never see another dime from me.
Mighty Zuris. I got my fuel tank from Brothers. It holds about 20 gallons. Take a look at our Journals to get some ideas.

D.D. Good to hear from you! We will be praying for your family.

I think I got the rotors on right. One box had number with an "L" the other an "R". Didn't see anything on the rotors themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pass side rotor.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	41434   Click image for larger version

Name:	15 inch camaro wheel.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	41435  

Last edited by Roadkill58; 10-23-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Zuris...nice truck and welcome!
Gene...come on clean out that garage would ya? I need an example to follow.
I found a 1977 chevy 4x4 front end disc to disc for $150. Plus I have a friend who has several 4x4 drive trains I will be going to look at today. I can get a 205 transfer case with a GM 465 4 speed with crossmember, drivelines, bellhousing, clutch petal, slave cylinder for $380. So are these ok prices? I haven't priced these things out before.

As a side note I am looking at doing a small 2" body lift also.

Let know what you guys think on the prices.
James
Old 10-23-2009, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

Gator $150 for a front axle is about right.I can get one here for that.The $380 for the transfer and trans is a better price than I could get the transfer for.On the other hand the 73 to 87 chevy 4x4's are going for about $500 to $750 for the whole truck.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

Zuris glad you made it.You have a nice truck to start with.That makes for a easier project. Roadkill nice rotors.the difference is the slots are cut for direction of rotation.Looks like you got them on the right side to me.Hey guys looks like we will get out of this hospital on saturday It will be good to be home again.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

Hey Jmgatr

Hey Man, hope all is well. Better check them rotors, they could be backwards. Do a goggle search on how to install slotted rotors and you'll see what I mean. Don't you just love having to do something twice? olnolan

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.