55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 96 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 06:00 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Gene I see where you are talking about for the U bolt. Duhhh its right near the pumpkin just like you said. I should pay more attention.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

I don't remember for sure but I think the your stock are 2 inches wide and the springs that was used on the 4x4 axle were 2 1/2 inches wide. It all bolts together great .
Old 10-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Steven

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
Apache, your truck couldn't lookany worse than mine.
Wanna bet? OK Update:

So when I bought my Apache the guy told me it was a 81 GMC front clip and 81 GMC steering column. Well he lied. The steering column is a 75 GMC and the 81 GMC front clip is correct but wrong size. So I need a K10 frame. YAY ME... So I was changing out the ignition and found out it was the different ignition from the 81 GMC. Anyway I got the new ignition on and now the horn does not work. And the battery is to low to start my truck...

I have now gave my truck the official name of Project Lunchbox. Adopted from the song One Piece at a Time by Johnny Cash
Old 10-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Rust Never Sleeps

Last journal entry: Step notch
Last photo:

Apache_Boy,

Most people don't even have an ugly truck to work on. The lucky ones have two.

You wouldn't be happy with a turnkey truck. I know that driving something someone else started and finished just wouldn't feel right.

Keep after it. Like DD said break it down into little projects one at a time.
Soon you will get to body work. Next it will be all one color of primer.

A little progress is better than no progress.

Remember: Hurry up and **** up. Take your time and make it right and most of all have fun.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:59 PM

Last photo:

Does anyone know of a window channel supplier for 1956 - 1958 chevy pickups besides Brothers Trucks? They offer the window kits but they are on back order. Thanks for any info.

Kurt
Old 10-30-2009, 06:55 AM

Last journal entry: 1955 Chevy Truck
Last photo:

Kurt,

Here is where I get most of my parts in Kansas City. I attached a link to the page for what you are looking for I think. Any snow yet!

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page=15
Old 10-30-2009, 07:05 AM

Last journal entry: 1955 Chevy Truck
Last photo:

55-59 Door Hinge Hardware, any details?

I purchased someone elses unfinished project, and I am sifting through all the coffee cans of miscellaneous bolts and brackets, but I am at a loss for what hardware bolts are used to attach the door hinges! The previouse owner disassembled all of the hinges to install new bushings, but that was as far as he got. I have several questions. I do have the factory shop and assembly manuals, but the details are sketchy at best. Please keep in mind that my truck came without the doors or hinges attached to anything.

1. What size, type, and length are the bolts inside the door? I know each door hinge has 3 bolts that attach the hinge to the door itself.

2. Same with the hinge to cowl hinge pocket area. I know 3 bolts each hinge, but what size, type, and length?

3. Does someone make a door hinge hardware kit that includes all of the bolts needed?

Any information or pictures would be great. Thanks for helping
ED
Old 10-30-2009, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

fasteddy51 I just looked at www.classicparts.com and clicked on the 55 to 59 catalog.they have the bolts you want.Page 17.I have the 58 boxed in out back so I cant even open the doors without moving the motor home.I cant take pictures right now.Good luck.post pictures when you can
Old 10-30-2009, 02:31 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache_Boy
Wanna bet? OK Update:

So when I bought my Apache the guy told me it was a 81 GMC front clip and 81 GMC steering column. Well he lied. The steering column is a 75 GMC and the 81 GMC front clip is correct but wrong size. So I need a K10 frame. YAY ME... So I was changing out the ignition and found out it was the different ignition from the 81 GMC. Anyway I got the new ignition on and now the horn does not work. And the battery is to low to start my truck...

I have now gave my truck the official name of Project Lunchbox. Adopted from the song One Piece at a Time by Johnny Cash
My favorite kind...a challenge. Like the guys said just keep working on it bit by bit. Save a little money and look for parts you need. Something will turn up that is the right part for the right price. It takes patience. Post some pics...we would like to see your truck.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Will a 55/56/57/ frontend sheetmetal bolt on to a 58/59 Chevy pickup ?????
Hood hinges on a 5,6,7 bolt to the firewall 58/59 look different.
Gene
Old 10-30-2009, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy51
Kurt,

Here is where I get most of my parts in Kansas City. I attached a link to the page for what you are looking for I think. Any snow yet!

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ca/full.aspx?Page=15
Ed,

Thanks for the heads up. As for the snow, nothings sticking around yet but we had some huge flakes coming down today. I did install a new heater in the 56 so that I can drive it late into the fall. As you know the front end is a little low for snow.

Kurt
Old 10-31-2009, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

57halfton the tri 5(55,56,57) are different than the 58and 59.The frame horns are longer on the 58-59 so the front clip will bolt up differently.Only the cab is the same.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:07 PM

Last journal entry: pic
Last photo:

picked up my rear leaf kit from tci today. only problem im having is setting the pinion angle on my rear axle, instructions are kinda vague. i am doing a frame up resto therefore no trans installed yet, will this be an issue?. i think i read somewhere in this long ***** thread about it but i cant recall the page.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Hey J , I set mine at 2 degrees up when I did my four bar. I think that was the angle with leaf springs before I took it apart. You could always leave it unwelded , just bolted together till everything is put together and on it's wheels with weight then set it, just don't forget to weld it up someday, I remember a friend did that once.
Gene
Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

J.Vale pinion angle needs to match engine and trans angle.Stock is engine and trans 3 degrees down(measure with angle gauge at intake with carb off) and pinion 3 degrees up(measure with angle gauge at pinion).If you don't have one get a magnetic one from harbor freight they are about $10.Check post 900 on page 60 of this post.Google drive shaft angles and you will get all the info you need.Keep us posted of your progress

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.