55 to 59 chevy truck owners - Page 99 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last journal entry: 55 chevy 2nd series truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The only pics I have are a few months old now. I was out wielding up holes in my floor I'm not using. I pushed the truck out of the garage to clean my garage out and it took me an hour to get it pushed back in. I had my wife putting blocks under the wheels every step of the way. She is 5 months pregnant so I didn't want her to push on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55 1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	41977   Click image for larger version

Name:	55 2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	41978  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last photo:

I was wondering if anyone has assembled door guts and made a journal of this I am not looking forward to that feat. It has been a long time since I disassembled mine . Pictures are nice. Any info on this would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

I didn't make it into a journal but I replaced the window regulators and all the rubber parts and installed the green glass from Brothers Trucks in my doors.The hard part was getting the glass for the wing window back in the frame right.I ended up using my hard white rubber mallet to pound it back in the frame.There is a tech article on Brothers trucks web site I found helpful.It is called 55 to 59 weather stripping installation.Let me know if that helps.These doors are easy to work on.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Wanabe Mechanic

Last photo:

Thank you DD I thought I had seen an article somewhere a while back but forgot where maybe that was it. I will check it out. Thanks , John
Old 11-19-2009, 04:18 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

hello people of this 55-59 truck thread. just found this site, registered and thought i'd introduce myself. i own a 58 apache, big window and short stepside. what started out 7 yrs ago as a mild custom restoration has snowballed into a full rodification build.
i've been reading many of the posts here and looking thru some of the photo albums. some realy nice trucks here and some realy nice survivors too. i like stock, mild and wild. i'll figure out how to post and get some build pics up.
mine became a driver 2 weeks ago, cab and frame are complete. bed is a work in progress, most of the fab was completed yrs ago and put out to pasture in favor of getting the cab & frame done. i got carried away with the interior after looking into building a console, found fiberglassforums.com and the rest is history.
that's it for now.
ogre out
Old 11-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

ogre Glad you jumped in To post pictures they need to be resized.I use PIXresizer.You can down load it free.just google it.I am not real savvy with this stuff so I move pictures to my desk top before resizing them so I can find them to attach to my posts.when you reply to a post scroll down and click on manage attachments after you attach pictures submit your post and the pictures will be there.Looking froward to pictures Also always use spell check before posting.It will save allot of editing.At least it does for me
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

this is the duracell project. yes it's a lousy cell phone pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1111091657.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	42096  

Last edited by ogre; 11-20-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 AM
'58 Longbox Fleetside

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache_Boy
Is there a complete frame that will work on the 57-59 Apache SWB?

I was told the S10 ext cab short bed, and the 80's SWB wont work.
In another forum I frequent, it seems the S-10's are more popular for the Advance design series of Chev trucks(47 thru '55 1st half), less so with our task forces (55 2nd thru 59). I believe because the dimensions fit that particular body a little closer.

that being said, by all means go for it. Would be sweet to hear a success story on there.

Seems like though with the required work as far as getting all the mounts correct for box, cab, fenders; misc bracket headaches, and so on that it might be just as much to put a new clip in the front. no? Though not as popular as the misc Mustang II IFS kits, a volare clip (I believe) slips right into the frame rails, also have heard good things about using a 1st gen dakota front clip.

Still plenty of hassles there to obviously, but hey do what you are gonna do. it's your project. Enjoy it man!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:49 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache_Boy
Is there a complete frame that will work on the 57-59 Apache SWB?

I was told the S10 ext cab short bed, and the 80's SWB wont work.
apache boy
new guy here. i looked at doing a frame swap when i started my 58. the axles on 55-59 are 60" wide. the older trucks 56 wide as are the s-10 trucks, thus many AD trucks sit on s-10 frames.

i'm not sure what your after, but i found the best frame for my truck was the one that came from the factory. a modified stock frame works well and you don't have to fab cab mounts, core mounts, bed mounts or change the length. i boxed my frame front to rear, added a cross member for the trans and to reinforce the front cab mounts. the thing nice about the stock frame is all the sheetmetal bolted right up after 6 yrs of my project.

i did a minor c-notch in the rear. stock springs with the overloads removed, 86 trans am rearend w/ 3.26 gear and disc brakes. i flipped the new axle on top of the springs

i wanted power brakes, but also needed a clean firewall. i used an 03 mustang hydroboost mounted in the stock location and used a stock pedal swing arm

3 big ticket items i had to have were 1) gm crate motor, 2) 700r4 trans and 3) must II frontend. but you could use a volare clip and still not mess with the front of the frame.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Steven

Last photo:

Ya got a really nice apache there. I looking for a complete new frame. I cant use my stock one
Old 11-21-2009, 04:28 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

fender mounted spare

spent all day making an adapter to mount the spare on the fender. old rim was 6x5.5" new rim is 5x4.75". needed to move the spare out 1/2" at the same time. i have axcess to autocad so i layed out the dimensions in autocan, printed it out and bought a chunk of 1/2" plate to lay it out on.

i'll cut the old studs off and weld the plate to the bracket. new holes will be filled with 1/2" fine thread bolts to mount the tire on. big hole in the center is just to lighten the plate.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:36 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

nothing is easy

this is the bed i'm working on. frame is shortened 8" and the bed is cut off flush with the back of the fenders. trunk lid is from a chrysler 5th ave, had to section the trunk lid and frame 8" down the center.

also added a fuel door in the drivers fender

i do all my own work: welding, fab, bodywork and assembly. the only thing i don't do is paint. i have my truck in my buddy's shop, he has a painter that i use. it's also handy because i can use his tech to help with the heavy stuff or to hold the fender while i put bolts in.

Last edited by ogre; 11-21-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Steven

Last photo:

DAMN thats bad ***. I wish i had the skillz or cash to do work like that.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:49 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

shaved cowl vent

i shaved the cowl vent. this is the slots in between the wipers that allows water, leaves and pine needles under the dash. this is the main cause for rust in your hinge pockets, leaks under the dash, rust on the firewall, etc...
Old 11-21-2009, 10:54 PM

WOW, I just found this site. I am in the process of building my dad's 1955 suburban. Has been in the family since 1958. Had been in storage in Montana for the past 14 years. Didn't remember it being in this bad of condition, but oh well it was the first thing I ever drove so it will be worth saving.

So far we pulled the body off the frame. Had to locate another frame because this one was bent. Have installed a TCI front clip and a 10 bolt rear end from a 72 Nova. The body is back on the frame so I can get the engine in place and fab up some motor mounts. Have a 5.3L engine from an 03 Tahoe with 40k miles and 4L60E trans to power it.

Some of my plans are to install the dash from a 55/56 Chevy car, plug all the holes in the firewall (my dad drilled a lot of holes), add the one piece door glass, add a trailer hitch and newer fuel tank. I would also like the install a tilt steering column, but keep the stock steering wheel. If anyone has done this I would appreciate their input.

Right now we are most of my funds will be spent getting race cars ready for next season, so my progress may slow down. Oh yea, and then there are the items on my wife's list that I need to complete too.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.