Hot Rod Forum banner

55 to 59 chevy truck owners

935K views 3K replies 212 participants last post by  DOUBLEDICK 
#1 · (Edited)
My name is Richard Johnson and I am building my second Apache truck.I drive this truck every day and am doing everything I can to make it a pleasure to drive and still be a good work truck.I like modern drive trains and stock body and interiors.I am looking for other guys that have and drive these trucks to talk to and share Ideas and designs for custom made parts with.I have sent private messages to a few people on this board and only one person responded.At his request I sent him pictures of my custom sway bar mounts so he could make some for his truck.Without sway-bars these trucks are no fun to drive.I am curious to see what others have done and share ideas.

Attachments

See less See more
#2,078 ·
57halfton I agree with ogre.RainX is what I use. I only use my wipers in the snow.I love RainX it even makes the frost easier to scrape off.In the 80,s they used to sell those little wings that the faster you drive the harder they pushed against the windshield.They worked good but looked bad.All I found that could be done was shorten the spring inside the arm but the wind still makes them raise off the windshield above 60mph.

#2,079 ·
I spotted a 55-59 chevy pickup today, Been driving past it for a long time and have never seen it till now, It don't have a for sale sign but the land where it's sitting is for sale. I am going to call the Realtor and see if they can give me ant info on the truck. It's sitting in a fenced lot i did notice someone has knocked the back glass out of it and it has a set of high backs in it too. But as far as i can tell all the body is there don't know if it has a engine or not. I alway's liked those old trucks. Don't really know what it would be worth but i do have a pretty good idea.

Cole

#2,084 ·
It's a 55 as far as i can tell, I talked to the Realtor who has the sign out front.
And he told me the owners name and where to get his phone #, So i am going to go back down there this weekend a take some pics of it and give the man a call and see what gives with the truck. I posted a pic of one that looks like it but now it don't look this good but man it sure could. :cool:

It does have two headlights not four and it's a step-side.

Cole

Attachments

#2,085 ·
Are you looking for a project truck?? I have a 56 Chevy I was thinking about selling. I don't really want too or have too, but I don't have alot of time to work on it. Let me know.

eloc431962 said:
I spotted a 55-59 chevy pickup today, Been driving past it for a long time and have never seen it till now, It don't have a for sale sign but the land where it's sitting is for sale. I am going to call the Realtor and see if they can give me ant info on the truck. It's sitting in a fenced lot i did notice someone has knocked the back glass out of it and it has a set of high backs in it too. But as far as i can tell all the body is there don't know if it has a engine or not. I alway's liked those old trucks. Don't really know what it would be worth but i do have a pretty good idea.

Cole

#2,088 ·
My chevy engine type??

thought i had a 327 per the previous owner, but after more reading, i may have a 350...

Here's what i have on the block:

11B110539 K08 28 CJD

from what i gathered, it was made in Canada on Aug 28. The CJD appears to be a 350 from 1971.

Any help would be appreciated.

Once i get the engine ID, i want to replace the carb (current is a 2jet rochester with manual choke) in conjunction with the fuel tank and lines.

im still having engine starting problems, it wont turn over. after checking the distributor, i am getting sparks. but no current going through the plug wires. is it the ignition coil. suggestions?

#2,090 ·
thanks for replying, excuse my lack of knowledge/ description on this subject. it is using points. when we hit the starter with the disributor cap off, it would rotate and the current was visable (saw sparks). my buddy took a plug wire off the plug and we tested to see if there was any current getting to the plug. there wasn't.

i had it running a couple of months ago, but even then it was touch and go when i could turn the engine over.

#2,095 ·
octanejunkie said:
what are you doing about an e-brake?

Post pics!

The e-brake we got is from a chevy van (im not sure the year because i was busy when my dad got it). It is smaller and we had to just cut about an inch off so that it would fit right. We have reinforced teh firewall with sheet metal, and have our new column, hanging brake, ebrake, and gas pedal all ready. I do not have pics right now, but i will post some today or tomorrow. :thumbup:

#2,096 ·
BmoreChevy55 said:
thanks for replying, excuse my lack of knowledge/ description on this subject. it is using points. when we hit the starter with the disributor cap off, it would rotate and the current was visable (saw sparks). my buddy took a plug wire off the plug and we tested to see if there was any current getting to the plug. there wasn't.

i had it running a couple of months ago, but even then it was touch and go when i could turn the engine over.
Bemore, You got a bad coil ,buddy. its a simple fix.But after you replace it and get the truck running again you should seriously concider getting a newer elctronic one from the bone yard....or a new one if your budget allows for it..I cant remember for sure but I think all the 350's had electronic ignition so your engine has a good possibility of being a 327 ,a great little engine..and very popular even today...

#2,097 ·
deadbodyman said:
Bemore, You got a bad coil ,buddy. its a simple fix.But after you replace it and get the truck running again you should seriously consider getting a newer electronic one from the bone yard....or a new one if your budget allows for it..I cant remember for sure but I think all the 350's had electronic ignition so your engine has a good possibility of being a 327 ,a great little engine..and very popular even today...
To the best of my knowledge the 350 came out in 1967. The first electronic ignition came out in 1975 or 76,so there were 350's with points.Hope this helps.Also if the intake was never changed,all 327's had an oil fill tube in the front and no 350's had it.Just 1 way to tell if it is a 350.One more thing again if engine is unchanged 327's only had valve covers that had a pad in the middle for a sticker that said 327 and the top of the cover was Ved down in the middle from front to back. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

#2,100 ·
ogre said:
eloc, go for it.
anyone looks good in a task force pu
2 or 4 head lite?
step or fleet side?
where are you located? (that usa thing is sort of vague)
Ok i went and looked at the truck, I took a few pictures from outside the fence, Then i called the owner and he told me to go on in and have a look.
So you guy's please give me your input on this how much do you think it is worth, The guy told me it was a confiscation for money owed for storage and he will let me have it right but it has to sit a little longer to get a title from the state. But he told me he knows it's his truck the guy will not pay him. So i will just have to wait and see for sure though. This stuff can go either way.
I don't know what engine is in it all i know is it has a chevy firing order.

Cole

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.