55 chevy 2nd series - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

55 chevy 2nd series

Howdy I just joined this site in hopes of tapping all your knowledge. I have a few questions that I need help with. Im taking a 55 chevy pickup and im trying to get it on the road. Its kind of personnel project cause the man that gave it to me passed away 3 months after he gave it to me. The frame is kinda screwed. It has cross members cut . I want to up grade the frame..so what subframe is the best. I heard nova,monte carlo, camaro. whats best..And is there a site that explains the procedure or shows what im in for. Im really trying to up grade the ride and get the best mpg that i can. Im putting a 350 with a 700r4 trans in. I due have a 327 i can build up,but i thought the 350 would be best. what do you all think. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

This is a great hot rod site but if you go to tri-five website to the truck section, you'll get lots of opinion/information. The Chevrolet/GMC truck site is another good one.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:23 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

We have a tri 5 truck group here that are pretty knowledgeable also....55 to 59 chevy truck owners
Old 12-18-2011, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

Wow, I didn't know that. I looked at your link, then went back to the home page and tried to find it on my own and couldn't. Went back to the link and looked at how the computer found it. I'll have to start looking at it. It would be nice if it was easier to find for computer dummies like me. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 PM

Its always active so being a bit of a dummy all I do is scroll down to the box that says forum jump and click then scroll down to The Lounge ,you'll find it .
Or even at the top of the page hit search and type in 55-57 truck. Bam then if you write something like hey guys ,every time someone write something it'll pop up on your e mail then all you gotta do is click on the link...
Old 12-18-2011, 06:37 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Or even at the top of the page hit search and type in 55-57 truck...
smack dbm

type in 55-59 truck. we all know the groovy guys drive the 58-59 chevy trucks...
Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 AM

GROOVY ??????? You must be way older than me..If your going to be driving around in that cool looking truck we gotta teach some cooler lingo.....
wouldnt that be FAR OUT Man ?????
Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

well, if you're gonna diss somebody it might as well be ogre, he doesn't have ANY info he might have shared. well, he's probably having his nap now anyway, or siting on the front porch with his corn cob pipe whittling a stick.....since he's so OLD....like me, ha ha
I have a 57 gmc, had all the crossmembers out. it's not that hard to figure out what you need to put back in if you get an assembly manual, or go to oldcarmanualsproject and see what you can find. I got a GM blueprint for a frame from there that shows all the dimensions etc. are you trying to keep it all stock or did you want frame info for a swap?
like ogre says, check out the 55-59 chevy truck owners forum in the lounge area, there is pages of stuff in there.
good luck and welcome
Old 12-19-2011, 08:53 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

back to msgt's original post...

if your frame is relatively stock, i am not a fan of sub-framing. the mustII x-members do a better job for our trucks. a factory assembly manual is a very good place to start you can pick them up for $30 from lmctruck.com or brotherstrucks.com.

our trucks had a 5 yr run on everything but the front sheet metal which means every part is reproduced for these trucks. the 2 sites posted above are where i bought most of my parts.

i have a 350/700r4 set up in mine, i like it. unless you have a reason to build the 327 (like nostalgia) the 350 will give more HP & torque for low bucks. but any sbc will do. as for mpg? these trucks are not aerodynamic in any way, it's like driving a brick down the road. with the right gearing you can easily get 20-25 mpg out of these. there is a lot of rearend swap info here http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/ifs&rearend.htm. i have a 86 trans am rearend w/ 3.27 gear & disc brakes, i do wish i had put a 2.8 to 3.1 gear in it for better mileage (i get 20.1 mpg). any 82-92 camaro/transam/firebird rearend is within 1 inch of the correct width.

pay no attention to the 2 guys posting above this.

maybe i should have re-phrased it to ''groovy cats''
Old 12-20-2011, 05:04 AM

Vote for Mustang II

My thoughts, for what ever they are worth.

Mustasng II, may cost more at the start. But you weld it up, and everyone knows that is going own.

Subframes: Who is doing the welding, who is doing the engineering. One little miscalulation, and you have a problem you can never get solved.

Chevy small bolck, all the same in relaibility. But 350 is the best choice. If you want something different. Buy the valve-cover decals, or valve covers with the number on them (327-283-400-etc). From looking, who knows and why do you care
Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i'm just the opposite . i refuse to install a mll unless it is a fatman and even then not on a truck. i do not cut and butt a sub-frame , i use the entire clip. safe , reliable and the geometry is correct. i do not have tire clearance problems nor steering interference with the sub-frame.
not putting down anyone with mll but i have repaired 4 frame failures withe mll. the thin plate cross-members eventually fatigue and crack. this is the last one. first it tore out the strut rod bracket. we repaired it to get edward through the summer. then we cut it off and replaced it with a fatman snout. the chalk marks show the fatigue cracks. it could have ended badly had we not seen the cracks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xmember damage.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	663.9 KB
ID:	60913  
Old 12-21-2011, 07:22 PM

thanks for all the input and Ill check out the other threads also.I cant knock anyones computer skills since it took me 3 days to find my own doggone post. Im trying to make this a daily drive up here in montana so I dnt want to do anything that would lower it. I might just keep with the original frame and work on the powertrain. IE 350 eng..700r4 trans and high geared rearend. If I could get 21mpg I would be in hog heaven.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:49 PM

I am with Shine on the Mustang 2 front ends: they are too light-weight for an old truck, they are OK for a lightweight rod. Chevy front also keeps your wheel bolt pattern, convenient!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:59 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

There's a lot of guys using Volare frontends with kits to install them. Very nice setup, and easy to install with inexpensive kits. The parts are also cheap at wrecking yards.
Actually the kits are for all the common Mopars like Grand Fury, Diplomats, Fifth Ave., etc. The system uses the complete factory parts and torsion bar suspension, and is fully adjustable for ride height.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:43 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

wow shine, that is a disaster waiting to happen.

i've only installed one mustII and it was a fatman.
it is basically a 1/4'' wall, 3x4 piece of tubing.
no welded up 10 gauge x-member.
i did add the gussets to reinforce the frame connection, just a triangle of 4'' channel.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.