55 chevy 4 door 350/350 swap? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 09:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

55 chevy 4 door 350/350 swap?

Hello guys,

I am new to tri 5's, I recently bought a 55 2 dr post and then found a 55 chevy 4 dr that i was going to buy for a parts car.

After seeing how clean this 4 dr car is I do not have the heart to tear it apart as it is so complete and clean.

It has the original inline 6 and 3 speed on the column. It still runs but seems liek its going to need a rebuild.

What is involved in swapping over to a small block/350 combo?

Is this the way I should go?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2004, 09:35 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

the 50`s line chevrolets came with mounts on the front of the block, every small block still has these same mounting holes in the front of the block, so just get mounts for a 55 Chevy with a V8.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

Speedway as everything you need for the change over.

Are you going to use an auto trans? If so get the rear side motor mounts they are easier to work with also the radiator on a 6 cylinder is in front of the core support and the V8's are behind the core support, the tri 5's don't use shrouds so the fan needs to be two inches from the radiator don't use a clutch fan use a good flex fan. Instead of trying to find stock exhaust manifolds get a Jeg's catalog go to headers and under 55-57 the patriot's are the only ones to have pn#737-H8025 $199.00 are the black ones and the pn#737-H8025-1 $299.00 are the ceramic coated ones. The $100.00 difference is well worth it. Have fun with it!
Old 02-06-2004, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

so if i understand you guys correctly there are 3 types of v8 motor mounts? front mounts, side mounts and rear side mounts? and the easiest to work with is the rear side mounts? and these are aftermarket ones i order online? and my factory trans crossmember will work?
Old 02-06-2004, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

Tri-fives use two front mounts and two bell housing frame mounts. To use the 350-350 set up you can go a couple ways. You can use the existing front 2 mounts on the engine and buy aftermarket mounting kit, and bolt the trans to the existing rear mount and use a crossmember. Or you can buy the frame mounted side kits and use a crossmember. The side mount kits vary from supplier to supplier. If you go this route check to see if you have a two-piece or seamless frame. you can use the existing radiator in the 6 cylinder place and use the long water pump to get you closer to the radiator. They make spacer assemblies to go between fan and water pump to also get closer. In my opinion a good 7 blade solid fan works better than a flex fan. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the info, sorry if this sounds lame, but how do i tell if i have a two-piece or seamless frame?
Old 02-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

An added note.....

Don't just use the front mounts and put in a crossmember at the back of the trans. It's too long a span. Your engine and tranny will flex too much, causing the tranny bell housing to crack.

Some people have gone this route and gotten away with it, but it's not recommended.

I have heard that there is a bracket to strengthen this area, but I havn't seen it. Maybe someone else knows of this.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.