55 chevy body swapped to an S10 frame. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

55 chevy body swapped to an S10 frame.

When we bought the 55 chevys the gentleman said that we could swap an S10 longbox frame under the car with little trouble. We have since picked up a S10 frame (free) but it doesnt look like it will work without some work. First thing we noticed different is that a 55 frame has a 115" WB and the S10 is 117.9" WB. Does anyone know if this has been done and if so what are some details we need to know before we go any further?
Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

While it's no big deal to shorten a frame, why are you swapping it anyway? The tri-fives have a great chassis for the era and everything's available to update them. These things were raced on short tracks for many, many years (and very successfully) against much newer cars until they had to start competing against Camaros and the like. It just doesn't really take much to make them drive and handle like a sweetheart.
Sorry and I don't mean to rant. But I just had to ask.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:44 PM

Well we are just going by what we were told. Also told that would be easier to get parts for the S10 frame ( updated brake parts, suspension, etc.) And on the other hand, the frame that is under the two door was hacked and a GM G body front half welded on. By looking at the car while it is sitting on the ground the front tires are to far forward. The 4 door frame is pretty well rusted. SO we have an original frame not worth much and the other is hacked, but not in bad shape. Any ideas? Or maybe another frame would be a better swap? Of course we are doing this on a thin budget but have friends with junkyards!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

http://www.streetrodgarage.com/index...ROD&ProdID=543

Probably costly.............................

Maybe this.................. http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pts/417010857.html
Old 09-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55shoebox
Well we are just going by what we were told. Also told that would be easier to get parts for the S10 frame ( updated brake parts, suspension, etc.) And on the other hand, the frame that is under the two door was hacked and a GM G body front half welded on. By looking at the car while it is sitting on the ground the front tires are to far forward. The 4 door frame is pretty well rusted. SO we have an original frame not worth much and the other is hacked, but not in bad shape. Any ideas? Or maybe another frame would be a better swap? Of course we are doing this on a thin budget but have friends with junkyards!
I understand then and thought it might be something like that. The S10 is certainly not a bad chassis at all. I was just wondering why. I've got a friend who used the front half of an S10 frame under an MGB roadster that's powered by a 440 Mopar and it drives and handles great. But since he's been working on it for 15 years, it oughta'!
Old 04-08-2010, 05:53 AM

Last photo:

It is done all the time, i am trying it, did my last 50 F1 with original frame and mustang II frontend 700r4, 327, and 9" rear. this time I picked up a 85 S10 long bed and a 85 s10 4x4 for $400 the rear end of the 2x2 is too narrow for the chevy AD. the 4x4 will be good. but since shave sold the s10 4x4 for $400 and traded some parts for a explorer disc posi for the rear and the dimension are good. So now I need to find the time to start putting it all together. Ed bought the 350 chevy motor mounts for the s10 to save some work as well. and have a 700r4 ready as well as a 350 form a 70ish el camino.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

I call frame swaps "time swaps" or "work swaps" or "money swaps" because you are kidding yourself if you think they are saving time, work or money by doing one! All you are doing is swaping the time you would spend on the original frame to making the wrong frame fit the car or truck.

Brian
Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i've used s10 under several things but i would never do it with a tri 5. cars too wide, frame is too narrow. you'll have tire clearance problems front and rear. best take a look at how a tri 5 sets on the frame.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Those tri 5's are pretty much perfect just the way they are.If I did anything at all, it would be suspension and drive train upgrades.Mabe a rack ....Theres nothing wrong with the frames, that seems like a lot of work with nothing to gain.....Whats so great about these S-10 frames anyways? I keep hearing about them...
Old 04-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Whats so great about these S-10 frames anyways?
''NOTHING'' !!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

the s10 frame is being used for many different things. many early chevy trucks are on them. they are narrow and don't have tire clearance problems. i used the complete s10 rear and springs under my shop truck. it is a 3:42 overdrive gear. had to tub it since it is more narrow than the bed. i also used an s10 front frame section under the 46 sedan i'm building. the wheels on it now are 8 in deep dish. the rear is also s10 and geared for the 5 speed. they are cheap and plentiful and replacing the camaro/nova clip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear frame 2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	45120   Click image for larger version

Name:	back in.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	45121  
Old 04-14-2010, 11:03 PM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

I was told that a s10 is rated as a 1\4 ton and the s15 is rated as a 1\2 ton, does anyone know if this is true?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rix-Trix
I was told that a s10 is rated as a 1\4 ton and the s15 is rated as a 1\2 ton, does anyone know if this is true?
No, the S-15 is the name plate for a GMC marketed S-10. Other than a bit of trim they are identical.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Ok that makes sence, Shine but your sub framing and not using the whole frame right? Them dang cameros are getting hard to find and a little wide for these old coupes I had to narrow mine a little on the 48..Love your ford..
You guys in Texas get all the good,solid ones..

Hey Rix, I always thought all trucks with five lugs were 1/2 ton... six were 3/4 ton... eight were 1 ton ....a 1/4 ton wouldnt be much use, IMO.I never heard of a 1/4 ton ....
Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

the truck is a camaro clip. the s10 frame will mate with the 46 frame just under the front seat. they slide together and mate for about 10 inches. the early fords must stay on the stock frame because it supports the body front to rear. there is no support in the floors. i tried the s10 frame but when welding the car back together it moved so i stopped and will change the frame. the car is 8 in shorter with the windshield laid back and top dropped 3 in in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cab on rear.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	45136   Click image for larger version

Name:	doors.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	45137  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.