Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 Chevy in paint
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The 55 looks great and congratulations on the move up.

I'm sure you already know and maybe don't need to hear it from anyone else but, moving into management can be a blessing, because you are learning a whole new side of the trade, it can also be a curse because your biggest asset can also be your biggest headache...people, specifically people that work for you, people you work with and people you work for (the customer). One of the toughest parts of management is keeping moral high, while sometimes reprimanding or explaining to a fellow employee that they have done something wrong or that there may be more efficient ways of going about something. You are now more than ever a manager, a technician, a teacher, a disciplinarian, an organizer and most important of all, a mentor.

It all becomes a balancing act and how the act is balanced often directly relates to the final successful completion of projects. Something that has worked for me is to ask questions when a situation arises where things should or could have been done differently and or more efficiently. Not a question like "Why the Hell did you do that", more along the lines of "what would have happened if you did it this way". In a question worded differently, the response is also usually different, it opens avenues so all can learn and in there lies the effect on the outcome of the project.

Henry, I am in no way trying to tell you what to do or how to do it. I'm just offering a suggestion in an area where this approach has really helped me in any form of management I've been in. As I mentioned, management is whole new side of the trade and it is exciting. I'm happy that you have been afforded this opportunity and it will enable you to grow your skills in a new way. You already are an excellent technician and a mentor to many people on this site and I'm sure in the working world. My hope is to offer just a little advice, advice that I found to be priceless when I was dealing with employees and still find valuable when dealing with customers today. There are many other management techniques that work differently for different people, this is one tip that I feel is universal...I'm sure you already knew this, but, sometimes hearing it again just reinforces the value.

A sincere all the best Henry, that 55 is world class, it could be parked in my driveway anytime...LOL

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
AirwolfPJ (09-28-2013)