55 Chevy pick on S-10 frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2002, 04:00 PM
Project whore

Wiki Edits: 0

Question 55 Chevy pick on S-10 frame

Hello. (My first post. )

My latest brain storm is to mount a 55 Chevy pick up on to my S-10 blazer frame. Is this possible?

Is there anywhere I can get a drawing or schematic of the '55 frame to check dimensions to my S-10 frame?

I thought this would be easier than trying to take the drive train off of the S-10 and move it over to the '55.

The S-10 is Typhoon clone , so I would like to get the Engine, trans, transfer case and rear over to the 55. (I would like to keep the AWD.)

Anyone want to advise me of what I am getting into before I get into it? Feasable, or forget it?

What's your opinion?

Doug E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2002, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

its been done before, but i've heard its a difficult project. i know that a member here was talking about doing it, hopefully they will get in here and give you some pointers.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:52 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

well anythings possible but i dont think this one is a good idea. our thick steel pick ups are alot heavier and wheel bases are way different. but... i would check it out with willys36 because he has put them on a few different truck chassis.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

My '57 rides atop a '67 chevy truck fram with '78 chevy front cross member and a '78 12 bolt truck rearend. It was a bit challenging since I built it when I was 15-16 years old. Today, a snap. If you use the mid sixties frame you get the best rear suspension chevy ever offered on a truck, and the bed will bolt right up with the exception of a 2 inch(if memory serves) extension to the rear of the frame for the back mount. You can do transplant all of the body mounts from the old frame to the new one and use the bed mounts as a measuring reference to get everything square. The mounts will have to be moved up, or you will have to fabricate extensions since the later frames are dropped center and the old ones were not. I used mustang steering linkage to connect the '78 tilt column to the box. It is not a straight shot from the 57 cab to the box. You also have to do some light trimming on the inner fenders to clear the A arms.

The only draw back of this frame is if you want to lower the truck you will need more back spacing in the wheels because the newer frame is a bit wider than the '55. The s-10 would probably be a bit narrower.

I would say if you have good fabricating skills, can use a tape measure, and have some imagination anything can be done.

Chris
Old 11-19-2002, 05:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

No, I have never put a truck body on a different chassis. That is Madd Syntst! I am a proponent of keeping the body and chassis together and adding front clips or x-members from donor cars w/ modern suspensions. Either of these plus an engine swap is a BUNCH easier than a frame swap. I can send you a tech article on instlling a mid 70s front x-member on your '55 frame if it is early '55 or an article on instlling a 70s Monte Carlo front clip if it is a late '55 frame. Send me your email address and a note on which article you need.

Oh, and welcome to the madness!!

[ November 19, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 11-19-2002, 06:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lead foot:
[QB]Hello. (My first post. )

My latest brain storm is to mount a 55 Chevy pick up on to my S-10 blazer frame. Is this possible?

Is there anywhere I can get a drawing or schematic of the '55 frame to check dimensions to my S-10 frame?

Here's info that may help you. Good luck.

<a href="http://www.usbodysource.com/Install%2047%20chevy.htm[b]Here's" target="_blank">http://www.usbodysource.com/Install%2047%20chevy.htmHere's</a> info that may help you. Good luck
Old 11-19-2002, 06:39 PM

This topic has been discussed a few times over at <a href="http://66.221.101.248/bboard/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi" target="_blank">stovebolt</a>If you do a search on s10 Im sure you'll find some good info.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:01 PM
Project whore

Smile

Thanks for the input fellas. I just thought it would be easier to drop the chassis on top of the frame as opposed to swapping the engine, trans, transfer case, and rear over to the '55.

If I had measurements, then I could make a better assessment myself on just what is what.- Just don't happen to have a 55 pick up in the back yard!

Not too knowledgable about the 50's (forgive me), but I have an arc welder I'm dying to play with. :p

Onward...

Doug E
Old 11-20-2002, 03:26 PM

Last journal entry: Some pics
Last photo:

Why would you want to swap an s-10 drivetrain into a classic truck? I drive an s-10 everyday and I would certainly not think about moving the gutless wonders of its drivetrain over to the classic truck. Unless you are talking about an s-10 that has a SBC in it. And even then, It would be just as easy to move the drive train over rather than do a complete frame swap.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:09 AM

55 on s10 frame

I have a 55 international pickup i tried putting it on a 94 S10 Extended cab frame and it is not long enough and definatly not wide enough so i doubt the blazer frame would work cause its prolly shorter then the s10 extended cab frame. the length i can make work but the width is definetly off but alot you would have to run the deepest rim you could find with wheel spacers on top of that.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

Hey Leadfoot

If your truck is 55 first series this might interest you;
http://www.e-zchassisswaps.com/index.htm
If it's a 55 second series I think the s10 chassis is too narrow.
I have no experience with the swap, just found this site while planning my 57 project.olnolan
Old 07-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead foot
Thanks for the input fellas. I just thought it would be easier to drop the chassis on top of the frame as opposed to swapping the engine, trans, transfer case, and rear over to the '55.

Doug E
NO, NO, NO, it is NOT easier! Personally I loathe frame swaps. Nothing personal please, any members here who are doing this, PLEASE, nothing personal. I just don't "get it", I don't. I have swapped motors, front suspentions etc. After doing a few frame clips, I am convinced to NEVER do it again. JUST a frame clip is a HUGE ordeal filled with modifications you never thought you would have to do.

"Wheel base" is just the start, hell, if it were JUST that, I would advocate it. What is the big deal of moving a rear end forward or back a few inches. THAT is a piece of cake. It is the humps and bumps on a frame hitting here or there under the body. It's the steering column that requires cutting up some brace on the firewall to meet a steering box that is just an inch over to the wrong place. It's moving the engine back anyway because a more modern car that the frame came from had the motor more over the axle. It's needing to modify the rad support to clear a sway bar. It's modifying EVERY body mount and making now brackets off the frame.

It isn't about unbolting an old frame and rolling a new frame under the body. It is WAY, WAY more than that.

Swapping a rear end in your original frame. It don't get any easier than that! Hell, I did that at 16 or 17 years old! Measure spring perches on the original rear and move the ones on your new rear of choice and it bolts in. Front suspsention, first off the original if rebuilt ain't bad. Those old trucks drive so nice. But there are plenty of kits to make it SWEET. But a Camaro clip is also a way to go, the frame width is REAL close so it makes for a decemt swap.

I have a 1948 Chevy truck that I had frigged all up by removing springs to get it lowered in front and mismatched much stiffer ones in the rear with lowering blocks. It was a mess and I didn't know it. It handled like crap. But set up right like a 50ish Chevy truck I drove the other day it felt like an S-10 as far as handling, I couldn't believe it. It had a dropped axle on some nice new springs with lowering blocks in the back on nice new springs that all bolted in. With the stock steering box (these trucks feel like powersteering if you leave a large steering wheel on it) it drove SWWWWEEEET.

But honestly, look up the stuff that is available for it and there is a TON.

Ok, let's get over the work involved. What do you call it when you are done? Is it STILL a 55 Chevy? Or is it an S-10 with a modified body? What do you tell people, "Yeah that's my 55 Chevy"? It isn't a "55 Chevy" anymore!

Hell, I would think LEGALLY it is a 1990 S-10!

I don't get it, I don't get it and never will.

Rant over.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 07-24-2009 at 08:02 AM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.