55 Chevy pickup 2nd series - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

55 Chevy pickup 2nd series

I'm just getting started on this site and have a few questions about my project.
I have a 55 Chevy truck that I'm working on and I have removed the cad and bed. I have cleaned up frame and painted it . My next step is getting my 350 set in place with my turbo 350 trans . I'm was wondering if anyone had any In-site on measurements and angle of motor and trans .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Also the motor and trans mount I bought from classic parts.com
Old 04-01-2012, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

At ride ht. tilt the engine trans down until the intake manifold pad for the carb is level, using a level or angle gauge. From front to back, #1 plug should be even with or behind the center of front wheels but not so far back it interferes with the firewall. make sure there is room for the distributor/cap you are goint to use. If, during this exercise, IMO, you find a factory or easy spot to connect things, use it if it's within an inch or so front to back and + or- a degree level.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Do like speedbump said , but you might put the cab back on the frame where it is supposed to be so you have a reference point to where the firewall is. If your truck had a V8 in it stock you might move the motor forward no more than 1 inch to gain more clearance for an HEI distributor if you choose someday. You will also have to cut out the rear motor mount crossmember that the bellhousing mounts sat on. Gene
Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the reply . And another question . What about engine height ?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 AM

Last photo:

Make sure the engine angle is correct with about 2" of trans clearance from the firewall tunnel and floor. These trucks don't have much tunnel so it might be a little low. The trans crossmember will tell you where it wants to be, within those parameters, so look at where it likes the frame. Make sure the oil pan has as much clearance as you can with correct angles. The higher the engine, the easier it is for headers, etc., within reason. It's not rocket surgury, you're just feeling the fear we all feel when you start putting stuff together. You'll be fine.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 AM

Thanks .. I yes I know the fear you speak of . Lol
Old 04-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Don't forget that the angle to the driveshaft axis should be equal at the transmission in the front, and the differential pinion at the back. Leveling the carb pad is a good starting point, but be prepared to adjust either the pinion angle or the engine so that the U-joints at each end are at the same (opposite, really) angle. The truck will run going uphill or down. . . The carb can be tilted a bit. It won't hurt. But the drive shaft angles will effect how smoothly the truck runs. It is recommended that you use 3 degrees at each end. That is approximately .050 per inch different than being in-line and straight.

PatM

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.