Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 Chevy QTR dillemma.
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 08:31 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

so I was planning on flanging it and I already knew one area didn't have enough meat on it for a 1/2" step(back half) cause I listened to the bone heads trying to dictate the repair and that back area I cut out first to do the wheel house and didn't leave enough meat cause I thought I was going into the pillar at the time. So when the decision was final to step it I left enough meat on the front half but when it came time to flange the stinking flanger was barely too close to the bodyline and the flanger wouldn't fit. I'm almost tempted to do an open butt weld and leave the two small areas I used to cleco it up top leave them as small tabs so it laps on the two tabs that helps hold it up but everything around it will be a butt weld. Then again I'm not sure if I want to do that due to the atmosphere around the shop right now. Screw the excuses though it was my fault and if I have to lap weld it then I guess I can say it's a first...and last. The good news is we're getting the other side of the taillight panel which would have had to have been pushed out away from the deck lid but also the rear body panel on that side needs to come out a hair as well so taking that piece out solves both issues on top of the areas that would have needed patches. It was toast anyways. The other good thing is that the gaps line up perfect with a little wrestling and cutting and welding. The lap weld will also be really close to the bottom of the moulding so I think it won't turn out that bad. It wont need a lot of mud. Maybe I can order a hand flanger that allows the room and get next day air and it will be here before the part...hmmmmm