Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 Chevy QTR dillemma.
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Ok,Heres something for you to try,just remember where it came from....
remember you were talking about welding a strip to help with doing a butt weld ?
try this on a long seam...
using drill screws screw a 1-2" strip in to help hold the butts in place and back up the weld but insted of steel use a copper strip....when your done unscrew the copper strip and BAM!!! you have a perfect straight butt weld because the copper sucks up heat and backs the weld....
................................................lu v ya 2....................
DBM
that's a great idea! I'm thinking it can work with metal too if you just do a few light tacks and then unscrew it and it would only need to be screwed on top, the bottom could be held down flush with a screwdriver while welding. Man I come up with good ideas! Just kidding. Thanks for that tip! The worry isn't the butt weld at all the worry is holding it up but that solves that. I came home today thinking "I'm just gonna get it done-screw it!" I'll tell ya why...

look closely

ying and yang aren't agreeing here

this was a good idea.

this wasn't. I should have made my second cut on top cause the top needs to be round anyways and skinnier and I could have rounded it easy by cutting and reshaping. Guess hitting one bird with a stone is good enough on this one so I might have to make two cuts or carefully hammer and dolly the top edge round. The bottom one not as important. Damn bumper doesn't hide it!

really? On this I will tunnel the top of the quarter...cut a slice and insert a piece of rounded sheet metal inbetween. It also needs to go out up top on the outside so that idea will work well.