Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 Chevy QTR dillemma.
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 10:02 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
exactly. The guys that swear by open butt welds on everything are either used to production and small sail panels (Toyota recommends it), have never done them on big seams, or will Tig weld it and are very good metal fabbers. The metal fabbers will tell us and show us but if they aren't that good luck finding one of those guys actually showing you he does this in a shop environment on a long seam. The only reason I'm doing it is cause you upped my confidence in doing it with your suggestions that makes it easier, the flanger won't fit, it's cut uneven due to a last minute change of plans, it's in an area that will hold the metal against warpage, and I'm filming it, so there some ego involved for sure. Most times I'd just play it safer and flange, and not feel an ounce of guilt about it.
flange(overlap) panels rust.. big problem.. maybe not in dry areas.. but I'd run from a shop here that was going to flange/overlap then weld.