Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 Chevy QTR dillemma.
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 09:56 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

it fits now. I first cut a slice up top then slices in the jamb. This would allow the quarter to follow the contour of the tailight as you pull it up with your hand. So I put the tail light in and moved the quarter even, then took out the tail light and tacked the slices that were then opened up. This made the metal "stay" and not rebound back. Last, I layed a piece of metal on top of the slice, and scribed onto the old and open butted it. turned out great!

before doing the open butt weld up top I knew I had to tack down the jamb area cause I didn't want that gap to walk on me.

To get the metal to stay flush during this open butt weld I clecko'd a couple strips on the backside. Once I tacked all around and knew it wasn't gonna cave in on me I took out the cleckos and the strips dropped into the quarter.

what a perfect little corner to withstand warpage! Not too close either to where it will be a night mare to clean up. Soon as I saw how well the area took a weld I doubled up and did 2 hot tacks and staggered, and still little warpage.