55 Chevy QTR dillemma. - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
That is a great idea! If you butt it perfectly you don't need it, but if you can't, a long seam like that is pretty hard to make perfect, you can put the copper backing, BRILLIANT!

Brian
if you butt it perfectly? What, is the quarter gonna hold itself up only for you?
Sorry Martin, what I did is what was NEEDED and no amount of typing on the internet will change that.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,122 Times in 997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
if you butt it perfectly? What, is the quarter gonna hold itself up only for you?
Sorry Martin, what I did is what was NEEDED and no amount of typing on the internet will change that.
You are a sad little man Henry. Out of the blue you come and post this attacking me, a personal attack! Wow, not only that you are attacking Mike (DBM) who originally posted the idea! I was complementing him on the idea no details about how it's used, it has not a single thing to do with how it's held, it's about backing the gap at a butt that may not be perfect. So you are throwing a personal attack at Mike too, and he does this stuff every day and helped you with this quarter on this thread! Yet you find the time to come back here and ATTACK us, wild, just wild.

Brian
Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
You are a sad little man Henry. Out of the blue you come and post this attacking me, a personal attack! Wow, not only that you are attacking Mike (DBM) who originally posted the idea! I was complementing him on the idea no details about how it's used, it has not a single thing to do with how it's held, it's about backing the gap at a butt that may not be perfect. So you are throwing a personal attack at Mike too, and he does this stuff every day and helped you with this quarter on this thread! Yet you find the time to come back here and ATTACK us, wild, just wild.

Brian
on the contrary, it was YOU that was attacking his methods, not me. I'm just saying I didn't use the copper cause that wasn't the point of emphasis. It was YOU that stated if you can't do an open butt weld than that's a great way to do it. YOU were attacking that method to make yourself look better, or grandstanding on the internet. I was just defending myself against YOUR blind attack. Get your facts straight!
btw, I respect DBM cause he's open about being human and making mistakes, which we ALL make, he does the work everyday, and doesn't feel the need to grandstand on the internet like some of us around here.

Last edited by tech69; 04-17-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
on the contrary, it was YOU that was attacking his methods, not me. I'm just saying I didn't use the copper cause that wasn't the point of emphasis.Now you're trying to play your little internet soap opera game by trying to pit another member against me. I respect DBM cause he's not a know it all like you and is humble enough to admit to mistakes and being human like us all, and he does the work day in and day out. You on the other hand will grand stand on the internet to no end. You don't get a prize for being right on the internet and so I wouldn't expect you to come back into this thread to state that maybe you were ummm-talking out your arse, cause that's exactly what it was!

How was that attacking his methods? I said it was a good idea, you can't always get a perfect butt for a number of reasons and that was a good idea, how in the heck was that "attacking"? Ahhhhh, you SEE what you WANT to see in what I said, AHHHHH I get it now. Wild, just wild! Trying to pit another member against you! LOLOL. I have done just the opposite! I have PMed people telling them to lay off you that you are a good guy, what a mistake that was on my part. WOW, this is wild.

Brian
Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
How was that attacking his methods? I said it was a good idea, you can't always get a perfect butt for a number of reasons and that was a good idea, how in the heck was that "attacking"? Ahhhhh, you SEE what you WANT to see in what I said, AHHHHH I get it now. Wild, just wild! Trying to pit another member against you! LOLOL. I have done just the opposite! I have PMed people telling them to lay off you that you are a good guy, what a mistake that was on my part. WOW, this is wild.

Brian
Martin, you saw an opportunity for your usual grand standing (I'm better than you) to tell me if I chose that method it's because I can't do an open butt weld correctly. Don't play no games, you know it's true.

btw, why would I care about who you are PM'ing or this and that? Really think I care about a web forum like you do? C'mon now, get a life!

Last edited by tech69; 04-17-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

Wow, wild Henry, THAT is what you get from all this? WILD, friggin WILD!

Brian
Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Martin, you are predictable. You look for opportunities to jump into a conversation to make yourself look better. Don't worry, I do it too at times, but I can admit it.

It's no wonder when you are open to mistakes and needing advice to build confidence or what have you, that you would jump right in it to look for any nook and cranny to

grand stand. C'mon, just be honest here.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

Because of some comments you have made directed towards me on other threads I decided I wouldn't bother you with any of my grand standing advice. So you were waiting for me to come back here and compliment you on your butt welds? I'm flattered that you sat around staring at your computer waiting for the great grand stander to come and compliment you but I didn't because I saw you had returned to your old ways and didn't need anything of the sort being your head was already so big it couldn't fit in your welding helmet anymore.

So you chose to come and make a direct attack at me being I hadn't complemented you? Again, I am stunned at this, wild, absolutely wild.

Brian
Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

A compliment? I was looking for a more humble response like, "oh I could have been wrong, I wasn't there to see what you were going thru". Of course you wouldn't come back to say that though.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

Henry, I went back thru the thread to see where it was that I said something that I would need to come back and apologize for. The only thing I can come up with is where I said "with a perfect butt you don't need it". Henry, you don't, if you have a perfect butt you don't need a backing. It can help, but I have never done it like that. Saying this doesn't mean I am all knowing, it doesn't mean I am grand standing, it doesn't mean any of that. It means that I have another way to do it. I would have used about 10 C clamp vice grips, I have them all the way from 6" to 24" and I would hold that whole thing with them, then tack weld in between them and remove the clamps. It's just another way to do it. There is no need to apologize for something I didn't do. You did it different, cool. Because I would have done it with the clamps doesn't mean I think you are wrong or not qualified or what ever. It only means I do it a different way. You can bet I won't bother you again with my suggestions.

Attacking me for this is out of line and you really need to lighten up before you have a heart attack.

Brian
Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I didn't use it for gaps, I used it to stop the quarter panel from caving in. You never even mentioned it as a possible issue. For all the long worded tutorials you put up on the net figures you'd mention something about it.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Nice job there tech. If I ever do another quarter on a tri-five I had already decided to do something different than the one we recently changed. Looks like the way you cut and welded is the way to go. We changed the full quarter and bent the inner flange you were showing, It was a major PIA to get right. There is also a piece inside the quarter under that same flange (i guess for stiffining purposes?) that is a pain to change also. I also had the same problem at the tail light area that you did, and performed a similar fix. Looking good, keep up the good work.

Kelly
Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

thanks man. Those quarters are tough especially keeping that tail light panel from walking on you and just getting the tail lights to fit and even that stupid little brace on the bottom of the quarter needs to be sliced and bent. That thing turned into "frankenquarter" by the time it was done. Hear of any particular brand of quarters that are good for a 55? Man, this thing was off by a mile. Must have like 20 hours on it already!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
That is a great idea! If you butt it perfectly you don't need it, but if you can't, a long seam like that is pretty hard to make perfect, you can put the copper backing, BRILLIANT!

Brian
some people like sheetmetal butted tight (me included) so that leaves out those butt clamps.Without a strip you cant screw it all together,hold it in place and remove it for more trimming. Screw holes will all line up when you put it all back together showing you its in exactly the same spot every time.Now I've seen guys fighting to hold a panel in place with one hand and tack it on with the other and it gets messy by the time its ready for actual welding...Thats one big advantage to using a flanged joint (something for the screws to bite into) ...The problems with using a steel strip is its gets welded in with the rest of the seam,PLUS the top will act like a cup and hold water and moisture ,rusting it out well before its time.Seam sealer can help but your totally relieing on the sealer so a steel strip is out...a copper strip cant be welded so its removable after welding,it helps with warpage,and really does a better looking job thats easier...If youve ever used copper to back a weld you wont ever want to weld without it...And the screw hole are a breeze to weld when all done...
theres a lot of advantages to using a copper backing strip ,I didnt invent it, I just took it to another level ,backing long seams for butts...Butt ,thanks just the same Brian....
Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Tech and Brian...
What is it with you two?????
its ez to read something into what someone else wrote. Lets not waste any more pages on this back and forth stuff and ruin another thread...Here, we can ALL act like professionals ....I like and respect you both but this makes you BOTH look bad and it's getting to be all the time...we can all learn something from this. things arent always ment the way we read it..let it go...and enjoy doing what we do and showing others how to do the same so all of us can learn and do better not only as body and paint men but as people...
That said ,my mother would never believe in a million years I just wrote that..
Her favorite saying was always :My son is fairly well balanced.....He has a chip on BOTH shoulders....
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
tech69 (04-19-2013)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.