Hot Rod Forum banner

55 chevy sedan coil springs & A-Frames Q

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Stew 
#1 ·
Is there a place to buy cut coil springs for a 55 chevy car? I am also wanting to replace the upper A-Frames and I am not having any luck finding what will fit , is there a site that sells A-frames to fit the old 55 that anyone knows of? Does anyone know what other GM car or models that the A-Frames would fit the old 55?

Thanks a million
Stew

#2 ·
Try RB's obsolete automotive inc. Edmonds Wa. I have an older catalog and don't see cut springs but they have dropped spindles and also a cool front frame clip/crossmember that uses 1978-88 GM A & G body components and lowers the car 3" - 5". Anyway they carry a lot of stuff for the Tri-Year cars.:thumbup:

#4 ·
Thanks pony and Eblack

I will give them a look and see if if anything fits my needs from either, again thanks to both of you...Stew

P.S. still looking for info on a-frames for the 55, I am sure there are many models that will fit but I have no idea how to find out, I am mainly looking for both upper, anyway thanks a bunch...

#5 ·
'55 A-Frames

I saw this and I would recommend this site:

www.classicpreformance.com

They helped me out with all the parts I needed for my '67 Bel-Air wagon and my '63 GMC pick-up. They have quite a section in their catalog on the '55 - '57 Chevys. Both upper and lower A-Frames, lower springs, dropped spindles, and all front end linkage. They should be able to help you out.

Good luck,

Pappy :mwink:

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks Pappy and Reborn55

I will check out both sites and see if I can spend some money, again gents I thank you very much and I want to add all the great support I have received here is priceless, you are a great bunch of people......Stew

I have gone to all the sites listed and recommend but none have the original a-frames, they are tubular, I need original if possible that is not all bent up, anyone have a suggestion?...Stew

#8 ·
Stew--call CCI at 1-800-456-1957 and ask to talk to someone about used and rebuilt parts. They should be able to help you. Just curious--what is wrong with your old ones.Old CCI part numbers were 60-13 upper left, 60-15 upper right,60-17 lower left, 60-19 lower right. These were exchange part numbers. They have them outright. will check when I get home to see if they arei n the new parts book.

#9 ·
Thanks Reborn

After many years I have been able to play with the idea of really having chrome a-frames on my 55, at my age there is really not much that excites me but having chrome a frames does and coils springs chromed also, that is the reason I am looking for coil springs also but I think I can get those, so that is the reason..thanks and I will give them a call and if I get all this done before I have to go to heaven I will post a picture, I have wanted my love for many years and finally got my 55, had rust that was well hidden by paint and bondo but I am taking care of that, it is a love affair between the 55 and I, again thank you for the information...Stew

#10 ·
Stew--updated part numbers are used--52-02 upper left, 52-01 upper right, 52-04 lower left, 52-03 lower right. 52.00 and 55.00 each for non memebers. 46.95 and 51.95 for members. Don't know if you get the Bob Ford list, but there is a set of cut front springs for $20.00. Hope this helps.

#11 ·
You might want to consider the issues with chrome plating any suspension parts. There is a problem called "hydrogen embrittlement", but someone with more knowledge of what that means in laymans terms will have to explain. I think it means that those parts could fail since they're under such stress.
All of the places suggested are good sources for tri five parts.
You might also check in the back pages of CHEVY HIGH PERFORMANCE and SUPER CHEVY magazines. There are a number of tri five shops that might be able to supply you with good used control arms.
If you go to http://www.chevytalk.com/ you'll also find they have two forums specific to tri five cars, one for original and one for modified. There is also a classified section for parts. I know for a fact that several modified owners are converting their tri five cars to late model Corvette suspension, so they may have control arms that they don't need. You could locate the old discussions in the search function by searching under "suspension".
If none of this pans out for you, I have a friend who just installed a JIM MEYER coil over shock and rack & pinion front suspension on his '57 210 hardtop. He has the original upper and lower control arms, cross shafts, springs, drum brakes, etc just sitting in his shop. He's in AZ and I could make the connection to him if you where interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.