Hot Rod Forum banner

55 Ford fuel injection pump

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Veeblefetzer 
#1 ·
Thought this might be of some interest... After installing 5.0 with transmission in our 55 Ford Ranch Wagon we were faced with some decisions on fuel delivery... Decided to install fuel pump from 93 Tbird donor car...Ford provided enough flat surface where original sender is located...we enlarged the hole with tin snips as we did not want to risk sparks in the used tank...snips leave a ripply edge...hammer and dolly to flatten..drill holes , make your gasket , install screws and you're all set....there was a small clearance problem with tank depth...simply bent pipe from mounting flange to pump...also installed a tray surrounding pickup screen ...hopefully it will help with starvation as original tank has no baffles..

#2 ·
so you installed the entire mounting ring out of the later tank .. cool..

just curious.. from the safety side... what did you use for gasket material between the layers.. something that is gasoline and ethanol proof or resistant.

were you able to calibrate the fuel level sender that with the tank down to an inch or so.. that it would read empty..

and please.. don't run in tank fuel pumps below 1/4 of a tank if you want them to live.

there is an alternative of mounting something like an airtex E3903 low pressure pump on a stock sending unit with one of the many shapes of strainers available. this low pressure pump feeds the external inline high pressure pump. creative installation can sometimes get them thru the stock opening..

the only issue comes from getting the pump power and ground thru the sending unit using proper insulators that won't melt in gasoline. i usually have some nylon T bushings and nylon washers to build up on the exposed shank of the T. sometimes these are found in the drawers at hardware stores..

#4 ·
Hi ...to answer your questions about the in tank pump in our 55 Ford... I cut the gasket from a sheet of 1/8" neopre e...have not yet connected the sender so l am not sure how that will work with the original gauge...
neoprene sheet will work perfect for that gasket.

do you know if the donor car had a DIGITAL fuel gauge or an analog fuel gauge..

if you have the old sending unit.. don't loose it.. if you get a chance...set your OHM meter on 200 OHM scale and then on 2K ohm scale and slowly move it from empty to full. write the results down. and post them. .

why digital verses analog.. ford used 2 different senders... one went up in resistance.. the other went down.

#6 ·
5.0 in 55 Ford wagon

The donor car had an analog gauge...l am very new at making posts so l must be cautious...but l just thought someone should know... A member JeffB provided the motormount information that got us over that obstacle...l went to autozone armed with his information and an hour later the engine was bolted securely in the chassis...someone should also know that the engine wiring diagram on the internet and in the Haynes manual has a misprint...it has yellow from starter solenoid marked as hot in start or run and red/lt grn hot at all times....this is backwards....yellow is hot at all times and red/grn is hot in start or run...causedthanks us a lot of head scratching...thanks Tom

#8 ·
5.0 in 55 Ford wagon

Hi Jeff... Once again thanks for the helpful information... I must say the project was at a standstill and we were ready to sell it unfinished until the last few weeks...thanks again so much....do you anticipate any other issues... We are down to exhaust in which you already helped....shifter....we will use shifter from 93 Tbird donor car...again thanks so much! Tom

#10 ·
greetings I sincerly hope you do not have the problems that I do with new FI systems in older cars. I have bosch K ( runs at 90PSI) in my chevelle. I got a summit fuel cell after one trip around the block with the original (flat) tank, the pump is under the tank, fed from the rear of the tank. going frontwards no problem ,but hit the breaks and the pump goes dry and eventually eats its self. major rework to the fuel system this year! good luck! gc

#12 ·
Wanted to give everyone an update on our 5.0 in 55 Ranch Wagon....after installing the headers that Jeff recommended the exhaust was straightforward...used the stock tbird floor shifter which necessitated removal of bench seat and installation of bucket seats from tbird...again straightforward...we are going to take a closer look at tbird rear end..as you say a lot of work but sure would be cool...the oil and generator lights work the temp and fuel gauges also...had to trial and error the float for accuracy...still not perfect but when it is close to empty the needle is down...having some problems with engine...it ran fine in tbird... it took multiple cranks to start and would not idle smooth...we disconnected egr and idle smoothed out...discovered ect and iat sensors had no ground...made a ground for them...now car starts and idles smooth on first crank...still stumbles off idle until engine reaches operating temperature...have not yet checked voltage to coolant and air temperature sensors but l'm sure we missed something in the wiring transplant as the computer should provide ground for those sensors and the fact that the engine started and ran normally in the tbird....any advice/comments appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.