Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 gmc frame clip ?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 11:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You're not being a jerk at all. I know that many, many people have used these kits and are very happy with them. I just don't agree that they are inherently better, easier to install, or more cost efficient.

As far as the MII kits being beefy, sorry but I think the Camaro has the advantage there. Of course, the strength of both types will ultimately depend on the skill of the welder/installer.
Tubular a-arms, 11" brakes, swaybar all extra on the kit ($$$) and must be done to approximate being just equal to the clip.
T-bird rack, yes it's a heavier car but isn't the rack the same as the MII except for an increase in width? Granted the r&p can have a nice feel to it but add power steering and the feel goes away.
As for using junkyard parts, the clip in my truck was from a low-mileage running car with a shot tranny. The clip on my new truck came from a 4 door car that was driven until recently, and then it became a parts car for a friend's resto project. Neither car had ever been in an accident and all the wear parts were/will be replaced just like on a new kit. The cost for the clip in both cases was simply asking for them and bringing them home, in other words, free. In fact, I have never had to use a clip from the wrecking yard as these cars are still available cheap all the time.
Yes there was some work involved to pull the clips and I did have to get a bit dirty. And the parts weren't all shiny and clean at first, I had to do that. But I feel the end result is worth it and I'm WAAAY ahead on cost.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just stating my opinion based on my experiences. Your opinion is welcome too.