Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 gmc frame clip ?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 03:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbc
About those boxing plates, a friend just installed a TCI on his 56 and the boxing plates had to be trimmed to fit the frame depth and extended because they were supplied too short to do any good. And not all kits come with them as standard. Here's a link to the install I'm referring to http://canadianrodder.com/forum/show...?t=3110&page=2
Enjoy !
Great link! I bookmarked it. My MII kit was a TCI as well, hub-to-hub. I didn't have a problem with the length of the boxing plates that came with it, they were plenty long. I did have to trim the lower frame flange a bit in order for the plates to fit flush on the frame. I beveled all edges of the plates, as well as the frame edges, to get maximum penetration. I think that's a critical step to ensuring a strong weldment. I didn't 'dress' my welds at all, left them as-is. I didn't care what those welds look like (mine's not a show truck, just a weekend driver), I rather have as much weld strength as possible. I also welded close-off plates to the open ends of the cross-member, for added rigidity.

Thanks for the link, I'll keep checking it for progress. Its an excellent how-to for folks looking to tackle one of these builds.