Hot Rod Forum banner

55 gmc frame clip ?

4K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  bobinbc 
#1 ·
i have a 1955 gmc pickup truck with the bigger wheelbase of 123.25" that is bigger than the normal wheelbase of most other trucksthat are 114" so my ? is does anyone know what cars that i can use to clip my truck that wont look to weird and will not require major mod. to make work me and my friend tried a 77 chevy 1/2 ton truck frame wise it lined up perfect under the cab but it now requiers major mods to make the engine fit and susp. to work i now have another frame so does any one know what clip i can use

#29 · (Edited)
NEW INTERIORS said:
I can do a Nova/Camaro clip Way way cheaper then any kit..Sorry, been there !!!! done that !!!!! Plus the cheaper kits will never ride as good as a Camaro..Sorry!!!! And like it was said here,I would much rather put a camaro/Nova clip on a heavy truck then a kit,Any day.. :)
I agree. If you want it low and still have a good ride a sub frame is the way to go. You just can't get it as low with an after market kit and have a good ride. Also try dropping it this low and still be able to run 15x8 Corvette Rally wheels. :thumbup: As for the been there done that. Check out my gallery you will see the first suspension I installed. It was easier to install but sat too high and the wheel base was too wide.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/3465

Attachments

#30 · (Edited)
Nice truck, Rodder18 ! The stance is great! When I did my 57 I tried to get it as low as I could and still be a daily driver (no airbags) Very similar to yours I think but with a 14" front wheel and tall tire.

I didn't take any pics when I clipped mine but here's a pretty good thread on doing a clip for anyone who's interested. This is the same clip I used on the 57, it fits the TF frame a lot better than the 47-54 frame and tucks the wheels in a bit.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=320546

Autobuff, if you decide to go with a camaro clip and you want to have the truck sit low, try to do the graft so the clip frame is higher than the truck frame. This is better than dropped spindles which make your crossmember and engine sit too low. Hope this helps.

#32 ·
Thanks, the rear was 74 nova 60" wide sitting on top of the springs. Took some leaves out until there was only 4 or 5 left (truck was originally a long box so it had a Huge spring pack) Added a set of SouthSide Machine lift bars that I modified to work with this set-up. It hooked up pretty good and rode decent as well. I took it to the friday night street car drags lots. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.