Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   55 gmc frame clip ? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/55-gmc-frame-clip-161949.html)

autobuff 07-19-2009 07:04 PM

55 gmc frame clip ?

i have a 1955 gmc pickup truck with the bigger wheelbase of 123.25" that is bigger than the normal wheelbase of most other trucksthat are 114" so my ? is does anyone know what cars that i can use to clip my truck that wont look to weird and will not require major mod. to make work me and my friend tried a 77 chevy 1/2 ton truck frame wise it lined up perfect under the cab but it now requiers major mods to make the engine fit and susp. to work i now have another frame so does any one know what clip i can use

NEW INTERIORS 07-19-2009 08:04 PM

When you start doing clip's..Their's no such thing as not being a major job doing a clip...But on your truck a Nova is your best bet.No matter which clip you use.They almost all have the same amount of work..Some a little more then other's....I have a 58 Chevy truck in my album,That I did with a Nova clip.. :)

autobuff 07-19-2009 08:29 PM

yes i know it takes alot of work but the truck clip sets the engine way to high we would have to cut the center support the holds the motor mounts down alot which also holds the lower control arms and the camaro clips and nova clips are good for the 114"wheelbase to small for the bigger wheelbase

NEW INTERIORS 07-19-2009 08:36 PM

Maybe I'm missing something here, :confused: But the clip has nothing to do with the wheel base.Well it does,But will only change the wheel base if it's installed wrong. :)

NEW INTERIORS 07-19-2009 08:43 PM

The reason I said what I said,Is because when you cut the front part of the old frame off and install the clip you still have to set the same wheel base no matter what clip you use.You have to install the clip in the right location..And also zee the frame if you want it to sit lower... :thumbup:

autobuff 07-20-2009 08:23 PM

first thanks for the advise so what you are saying the frame should line up the same but the wheels in the wheelwell wont they sit in to far or really i guess i should get of my *** and try to find one and measure it wheel to wheel

NEW INTERIORS 07-20-2009 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by autobuff
first thanks for the advise so what you are saying the frame should line up the same but the wheels in the wheelwell wont they sit in to far or really i guess i should get of my *** and try to find one and measure it wheel to wheel

You don't have to worry about them sitting to far in..Did you check out the 58 in my album?Here's a shot of it.This is without the motor.. :)

The wheel he has on the truck in the picture is way to short for this truck,I told him to get one a little taller.

joe_padavano 07-21-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autobuff

The wheelbase difference is BEHIND the cab of the truck. The clip should only run from about the firewall forward. The total wheelbase of the truck doesn't matter. Now, if the long wheelbase truck is a one ton and you are concerned about the load carrying capacity of the Nova (or other) clip since you plan to actually use your truck to haul stuff, that is a very different question.

autobuff 07-21-2009 07:47 PM

thanks for the advise you guys are great i get it now i have one more ? what year nova sould i look for

NEW INTERIORS 07-21-2009 08:15 PM

68 to 74 will be good.. :thumbup:

autobuff 07-21-2009 08:27 PM

thanks alot for everthing

joe_padavano 07-22-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
68 to 74 will be good.. :thumbup:

You can use either the 68-74 or the 75-79 clips. Just be aware of the differences. The early clips are very similar to the 67-69 Camaros, but most came with drum brakes. They are also rear steer, which can sometimes complicate exhaust routing. The newer clips are very similar to the 70-81 Camaro clips and are all disk brake and front steer.

NEW INTERIORS 07-22-2009 08:12 AM

I used the rear steer in the 58 I did..Worked out great... :thumbup:You can use either one,, They will both work.. :)

autobuff 07-22-2009 08:10 PM

cool thanks i will check them out

AntnyL 07-22-2009 08:25 PM

Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but if you're going through all this trouble, why install a 30+ year old suspension system? Have you considered a tubular a-arm independent kit instead? By the time you replace all the worn bushings, brakes, bearings, steering box rebuild, steering component replacements, etc., you might be $ ahead in the long run by going with a Mustang II crossmember (Fatman, TCI, Heidts, etc) and a-arm kit, and a modern rack-and-pinion steering system. It's easier to install than a clip, and, they are engineered to work with your specific vehicle. Clips are not. Just food for thought.