55 Mercury Sun Valley roof - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 02:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

55 Mercury Sun Valley roof

I finally (probably about 10 years after I bought this project car) started to actually work on my Sun Valley, having moved to a house with a 2 car garage and no allowances for an outbuilding and having 2 children born in the last 2 years, I've had to give up on restoring the car and my other hardtop and I'm just making one good car from the two.

Which is apparent now more than ever that it's the right thing to do, while the floor is still there, the rust is at the point where it would barely support a passenger's weight, so this car is not very useful for any part of the bottom half of the body.

Anyway, the first step is to remove the roof, so I began disassembly... One thing I noticed that was interesting that I have not seen on other '55 Mercury's is that there are tack strips along some edges of the headliner. (Like what is used on some convertible tops) I believe this was mostly used for the zipper where you cover the plexiglass, but it was present along edges other than that as well. Maybe it was needed because the headliner isn't full length like the other hardtops.

My question is what's a good place to look for replacement tack strip material?

Also, the sound deadenning underneath material came off pretty easily in mostly 1 piece. It had some tears but I have a good pattern. What's a good place to find this material and what's the best way to reattach it, especially if I plan on painting instead of leaving the metal bare like it was from the factory?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2007, 04:55 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Start Here-

-FORD CROWN VICTORIA ASSOCIATION-

...especially their LINKS PAGE.

The floor insulation is readily available in sheets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.