Hot Rod Forum banner

55 Mercury Sun Valley roof

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  KULTULZ 
#1 ·
I finally (probably about 10 years after I bought this project car) started to actually work on my Sun Valley, having moved to a house with a 2 car garage and no allowances for an outbuilding and having 2 children born in the last 2 years, I've had to give up on restoring the car and my other hardtop and I'm just making one good car from the two.

Which is apparent now more than ever that it's the right thing to do, while the floor is still there, the rust is at the point where it would barely support a passenger's weight, so this car is not very useful for any part of the bottom half of the body.

Anyway, the first step is to remove the roof, so I began disassembly... One thing I noticed that was interesting that I have not seen on other '55 Mercury's is that there are tack strips along some edges of the headliner. (Like what is used on some convertible tops) I believe this was mostly used for the zipper where you cover the plexiglass, but it was present along edges other than that as well. Maybe it was needed because the headliner isn't full length like the other hardtops.

My question is what's a good place to look for replacement tack strip material?

Also, the sound deadenning underneath material came off pretty easily in mostly 1 piece. It had some tears but I have a good pattern. What's a good place to find this material and what's the best way to reattach it, especially if I plan on painting instead of leaving the metal bare like it was from the factory?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.