55 studebaker wagon- brakes & front suspension question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 09:30 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

55 studebaker wagon- brakes & front suspension question

ok folks need some info on this, my 16yr old son has decided he wants to Hot Rod a 55 studey wagon like this

He has autobody class in high school & has already painted a couple of cars (A+'s for his grades on them). He tells me he wants to put a wild LOUD paint job on it, slam it on the ground & put a
nice tire & wheel combo on it. Its great to hear my son doesnt want a ricer burner w/a fart can on it, & really wants to have everyone have that WTF is THAT, look on their faces when he pulls into the parking lot.

my questions are these, are the front suspensions any good, & if they are any good does someone make a disc brake set up for them. Also we dont know if the motor runs or not since it has sat for over 10 yrs, so how hard is it to put a SBC motor in it, is there anything that we shuold expect, cause I dont like surprizes that will cost me lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The best part is, its a Calif. one owner car & we can get it for $800. It's almost RUST FREE, just some surface rust, thats it.
well hope you guys can help me, thanks..joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't know about the front ends, but they have been putting SBC in the Lowery designed coupes for years, should not be any different.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:59 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

there is a place called mpbrakes that makes quite a few different brake kits for a lot of cars, so hopefully they should have something for your car.

try www.mpbrakes.com

later,

JB
Old 08-22-2003, 01:58 PM

Great choice for a Hot Rod Wagon.

I love the old Stude's and the WTF looks will be great. A Mustang II unit is a easy fix on these cars. They are light, and the SBC engine will work good. You might find a unit built just for that car, but if not a generic one would be easy to make work. I'm working on a '59 Edsel Wagon for the same effect. People are so interested in these "Weird Wagons". Wait till see their faces when you roll that thing in. Cool!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

Cool

There is ample room under the hood for any engine swap short of a hemi. I've done them them with a SBC, 394 Olds, Buick Nailhead, and a 53 Merc flathead. Look at Speedway Motors catalog (printed or on-line) for engine mounts. You might even look at doing something with the original engine as there is a rhttp://hotrodders.com/cgibin/spell.plesurgance of Stude lovers in the country. The front suspensions can be rebuilt and provide excellent service and handling. The rear ends and transmissions are the weak points of these cars. If you decide against this project send me a private message with the location and I'll buy it. Good luck and enjoy the time with your son!
Old 03-31-2006, 01:56 AM

55 studebaker wagon- brakes & front suspension question Reply to Thread

Fat-Man's Mustang II phase III front clip is what I went with on my 55 Stud. I am using a Ford 9" 3:50 posi with disk brakes. I am using a Chev 350 with a 700R or 200R trans. Go to Turner Brakes.com, and you will see a lot of good things there for your Stud brake needs.
Good Luck & have fun with your son with this car.
SHADE TREE

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.