Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 Willys on Mazda frame
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 PM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

55 Willys on Mazda frame

My dad built this 55 willys,He placed it on a 1987 Mazda B2000 2wd frame.He readily admitted this was a less than good idea..but at the time he built it,He was broke,no money,no work in the shop..but he did have the Cab,fenders,hood,grille for the 55 willys truck and the frame was 'free' he had to extend it and do alot of work to get it together and put a 302/truck 4spd in it.the trans mount was a real problem and had to be heavily modified and the rails on either side of the engine had to be reinforced heavily.At any rate,my oldest son now wants his own Willys pick-up...i have a cab and a complete nose..the rear bed i can build.But i have no frame.Anyone got a suggestion for a more modern frame? I was thinking a chevy s-10 but it looks like the rear part is going to create a problem and will need modifying..it looks like the truck will sit very low if i use an S-10 unmodified...i want ground clearance..not down low in the weeds.it will be a work truck to a point.I can fabricate and modify...i just dont want the headaches i got with this mazda frame..yes i used the frame my dad put under the truck.The next willys truck i would like a little less work.Any suggestions..S-10..only if i must...WILLYS frame? any severe issues there?