Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 55 Willys on Mazda frame
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 02:31 AM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

why thank you martin for pointing that out,there are no 'correct' frames when i build a street rod or adapt something to one of my vehicles.All 3 choices will require some modification its just a question of which one is going to be the least amount of work.Im not using an original WILLYS frame because i want more modern brakes,steering geometry,power steering etc..i have run a willys truck with an original frame and front suspension the brakes suck..the steering sucks..its was okay for its day..and now its okay for 'parade' duty.But i use my truck for work,i carry sandblasting grit,blasters,compressor,i load a trailer on it and go get 2 cord of firewood etc and in the summer months i tow a trailer with lots of steel repair panels for street rods and military jeeps...oklahoma,virginia, connecticut..so i need something thats got disc brakes,stout frame (after mods) parts availability over the counter..i CAN likely get an S-10 frame to work and modify it as i need to,same as the Mazda frame..i CAN modify it to work,But my question was for guys who maybe have done something completely different or maybe had a better idea than what i do..in fact,im looking at a mid 80's dodge dakota frame,very good sized brake rotors,thick metal,boxed in the appriate places..(i will strengthen where i think it should be..and the measurements are very close to the original willys...good in the sense that i will have minimal issues fitting the Cab/Nose to the dakota frame...rear bed?..i will build it,thats what i do...if i was loaded with cash,i would call one of those companies that will build me a frame to suit my project wilwood brakes,currie 9in rear axle etc etc then just bolt on and go sand and prime on saturday...paint on sunday..drive on monday