550 hp 351 Cleveland? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2004, 09:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

550 hp 351 Cleveland?

Hi Folks,
I am currently building a 351 cleveland for my '78 2-dr Fairmont. It is totally stripped and has a toploader 4-spd/4.30's, and I am hoping for an all-up weight of 2700 lbs w/driver+fuel (I am pretty light). Anyways, here are my motor specs:
1. 1972 Cleveland Block, .030 over, lifters bores bushed to .905, align honed, decked, head/main studs.
2. Open chamber 4V heads, filled ports, full race port job, Manley Severe duty valves, Isky double roller springs, Ti retainers/locks (10 degree), shaved. Don't have flow #'s offhand.
3. Jesel shaft rockers, 1.55 ratio, and Jesel dogbone roller lifters.
4. TRW forged/ domed pistons (11:1 compression), full floating pin.
5. Eagle H-Beams, only H-beam rod made in 5.778 size.
6. Stock cast crank, 4MA, 10 under on rods/mains.
7. Clevite bearings
8. Oiling mods ie bushed lifter bores, external oil line, HV pump, accusump accumulator, windage tray.
9. Solid roller cam, 255/265@.050 w/.419/.429 lobe lift.
10. Complete MSD race ignition setup, won't go into details.
11. Parker Funnelweb high-rise single plane and 750 Dominator.

The planned redline for this engine is 7500 max, 7000 shift point. If there is a weak point it is probably the crank. I think it should hit this power level and still be semi-streetable, albeit requiring 98 octane. I want to hear what you think!

Thanks for a great forum!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 PM

re

hey mate.
i think your setup will crack your goal without a problem, because you have a toploader low rpms wont hurt you as apposed to an auto. although if i were you i would have gone alloy heads. such as afd sp4v, or chi 3v, gives you a more street cred and same total cfm hp up high.
as i have the same setup as you pretty much, with afd alloy heads sp4v, 220cc, a proform 750 race, afd intake high rise. all the same internals in the motor. crane hi6 igniton. and pushed close to 600 hp. ofcourse dynos lie and arent accurate. but i usually round it off by going 20 or 30 hp less. without losing much down low. whats your enine like after 2500 to 3000 rpm? if you smack her hard. does it wheel spin? 2 gear 3 gear on its own? what gears do you have in the diff?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Spend another 6-7 hundred for a forged crank. If its mostly race I would give it a bit more carb.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:46 AM

Last photo:

The engine is probably finished.......the thread is 6 yrs. old
Old 01-09-2011, 03:04 AM

Last photo:

hey 327NUT, i know this thread is 6 years old, but i have to comment. i have a pantera with a 351C. 550HP with open chambered heads is a joke. open chamber heads are low compression, detonation prone heads. i know, my pantera came with those. i went with the closed chamber 72 BOSS heads.
hard to find---yes, only made 1 year. but those made my pantera from a dog into a rocket. of course many more mods were done.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
hey 327NUT, i know this thread is 6 years old, but i have to comment. i have a pantera with a 351C. 550HP with open chambered heads is a joke. open chamber heads are low compression, detonation prone heads. i know, my pantera came with those. i went with the closed chamber 72 BOSS heads.
hard to find---yes, only made 1 year. but those made my pantera from a dog into a rocket. of course many more mods were done.
That would be 71 Boss 351 heads.

Cole
Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

eloc, you are correct, 71 but they were made into early 72. (mine have an early 72 date code) they are the closed chamber 4V heads with adjustable rockers for solid lifter cams as opposed to the crappy later heads with non adjustable pedestal rockers.
just a little added info: i bought the heads freshly rebuilt, never installed but they did not come with the screw in studs or rockers. big block chevy screw in studs (7/16) and big block chevy aluminum rockers (1.70 vs 1.73) work just fine. i have been running that combo for several years and have never had the valve covers off since switching the heads. this is a known mod for 351C guys...
Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
eloc, you are correct, 71 but they were made into early 72. (mine have an early 72 date code) they are the closed chamber 4V heads with adjustable rockers for solid lifter cams as opposed to the crappy later heads with non adjustable pedestal rockers.
just a little added info: i bought the heads freshly rebuilt, never installed but they did not come with the screw in studs or rockers. big block chevy screw in studs (7/16) and big block chevy aluminum rockers (1.70 vs 1.73) work just fine. i have been running that combo for several years and have never had the valve covers off since switching the heads. this is a known mod for 351C guys...
My old Boss 351 the heads had the adjustable rockers screw in studs with guide plates also from the factory. so you have a DZ casting for your heads.
A really good head,IMHO yep i have used some chevy rockers before on a ford engine

Cole
Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

eloc, i don't remember the casting # (dz or not) but i do remember they decoded to early 72. i really didn't care, i had been looking for a pair of closed chamber 4v heads with screw in studs for years, the boss heads.
i saw the occasional junk or stripped heads for anywhere between 800 to 1700. i acted like a dumb ***** when i saw these heads at a swap meet and got them for 300, the guy had a buttload of other 351c parts and sold all of them to me for an extra 50. i paid him and told him "i'll drive my car over and load everything up" you should have seen his jaw drop when i pulled up in my corvette....

incidentally, the boss heads are indeed great heads, the hot set up now are the aussie 351c heads, they have closed chambers combined with the 2V ports. there are aftermarket aluminum heads out there but are just too pricey for my taste and most also need a matching intake. i'm not talking about the edelbrocks but the A2-A3? heads...
Old 01-10-2011, 12:18 AM
More for Less Racer

There is also the Blue Thunder aluminum stuff out now. One of my "some day" engine builds is a 390-406ish cube "Clevor" with aftermarket alum heads(or even stock iron "DZ" with a little work), in a small bumper Maverick. I just haven't found the Maverick .
Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
There is also the Blue Thunder aluminum stuff out now. One of my "some day" engine builds is a 390-406ish cube "Clevor" with aftermarket alum heads(or even stock iron "DZ" with a little work), in a small bumper Maverick. I just haven't found the Maverick .
hi eric, good luck finding a maverick, they were one step above a pinto in the day... i worked on both, they made me lots of money. i have never been a fan of the clevor altho many guys swear by them, they have a better oiling system than the 351Cs but that can be overcome by mods. the 351c heads are a straight bolt on to the windsor block. my 351C engine in my pantera is the origonal engine, stock bore and never rebuilt.

Blue Thunder stuff, i forgot about those. if you have interest in clevors or 351Cs go to pantera place. go to tech and scroll down to engine mods...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.