56 Buick all go no whoa,HELP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 09:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

56 Buick all go no whoa,HELP

I've got a 56 Buick special ,the master cylinder bleeds down.I would like to keep the drum front.She stops fine when the brakes are pumped up.I don't want to rebuild the stock m/c.I want something with separate circuits for safety's sake.It's not an "original "car so I'm OK with non Buick parts.I just don't want it to look cobbled together.Safety is most important to me.Thanks guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 09:41 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Power brakes?

It shouldn't be hard to convert the m/c to a dual reservoir type. Besides brake lines/fittings, it would likely be all that's needed to change if you're going to keep the front drums. Possibly the addition of a proportioning valve might be needed, depending.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:23 PM

The master is mounted below the steering column.So I don't have room for a booster.Also it's mounted on an angle to the toeboard.It links to the pedal about halfway down.Totally odd setup.I'm thinking wilwood with remote tanks. Any ideas?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss71
The master is mounted below the steering column.
Does the pedal go through the floorboard or is it somehow "swung"?

The idea of a remote reservoir seems feasible, or possibly a frame-mount set-up, like some rods use.

A Hydroboost unit is shown HERE , about 3/4 of the way down the page. It places the unit behind the pedal, under the floor. Not cheap, though.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:59 PM

the pedal is swung from the dash like a later model,however the m/c is mounted about halfway down ,instead of at the top.The pushrod connects just above the pedal pad.The rod angles downward through the toeboard,not the firewall.The m/c is mounted at an angle but the resovoir is level.I am worried with the pedal ratio.I haven't pulled it apart yet so I don't know the exact ratio yet,I understand that the ratio for non-power is closer to 6 to 1
Old 06-26-2009, 02:37 PM
WFO

Last photo:

6:1 ratio would be correct.

It's sounding like just mounting another manual drum brake M/C w/dual reservoirs in place of your old one is going to be the best bet, and cheaper than the other more exotic set-ups to boot.

Then pedal ratio won't be a consideration- as long as you use the same diameter bore (and hopefully, it's not a "stepped" bore and has the same diameter its whole legnth), the pedal travel and effort will be about the same as it is now.

I'm sure if it were me, I'd just rebuild the original M/C and forget that it has only one pot.

So, what you need to find out now is what the bore diameter is, and what the mounting looks like.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:25 PM

I'm going to pull it tonighht when it cols of a little.Rebuilding is about $450,so I would like to find a more reasonable alternative.This a one year only m/c as far as I can tell.Thanks for the info
Old 06-26-2009, 03:37 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss71
Rebuilding is about $450,so I would like to find a more reasonable alternative.
Yikes!

There's just not that much to rebuilding a M/C- I wonder why so high?

If you can locate a kit- or even the size of the bore to match up the seals, if your pistons are reusable and the bore's not too bad- you should be able to do the job for $20.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:14 PM

I just pulled it I haven't disassembled it.This is a very unusual m/c.I will post a pic in the morning.I haven't really looked for a kit,I have found 2 or 3 sources for rebuilding though.They claim it has to be sleeved with stainless.I can understand that,it's a 56.But the price seemed a bit high.This a one year only design ,by my understanding.I guess the demand just isn't that high.I was hoping to use a chevy truck m/c like on my old jeep,$22 at napavs. almost $50 for an amc,same part.I don't mind spending the money I just want something better.thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
At present for the 56 Buick there isn't anything available that doesn't cost a thousand dollars & is a lot of work to change over,
& at that the MC has to be relocated, about the only things you can do to help braking is to look for fined drums,
& if you don't have a Road Master you can put the front brakes from one on your car along with the backing plates
the road master has larger front brakes & it's a bolt in, also on e-bay there were rebuilt MCs for cheep.
Good luck,
Rich
Old 06-26-2009, 09:26 PM

thanks Rich.I.ll check ebay tonight.I'm leaning towards wilwood m/cs.It'll be a fab nightmare though
Old 06-27-2009, 09:19 PM

I'm still hoping someone can give me some guidance.What I'm thinking is to use two 5/8 wilwood m/cs .One for the front one rear.Two independant circuits.That way I can keep them down by the steering box.I'll also need 10#regs.I think this will give me enough pressure at the wheel cylinders.Any ideas
Old 06-28-2009, 12:59 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Got room for THIS?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:31 AM

Actually the small wilwoods mounted side by side are about the same width as,but not as long as the stocker.The stock m/c isn't small and round like a chevelle or nova m/c.It's about the same size as a dual pot then it has a 1inch by 6inch extension of the front.the next problem is the downward angle of the stock mounting.I know I can mount the wilwoods and get the proper ratio.I'm just not to familiar with there use.The car belongs to a friend,he doesn't want to use a single pot m/c,I agree with him.Converting to disc front right now is not an option either.I guess my question is wil the wilwoods make the required pressure or do I need to go another route.I'm just trying to work out as many bugs as I can before I start ordering parts,Thanks,KJ
Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 AM

Sorry Cobalt,I answered Before I followed your link.But yes that would fit actually better,I think.Do you think the 1inch bore would work,KJ

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.