56 chevy original engine value - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 10:11 PM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

56 chevy original engine value

I have a 56 chevy 4 door that has the original engine and trans in it. I am sure that the value of the car would be much more if I rebuilt that motor and put it back in. I believe its a 28- sumpin or other. Whatever came in the 56'. in the v-8 with 3 on the tree. What kind of horsepower is possible with this engine. How hard are parts to find. Have the original one-barrel carb and giant air cleaner are these rebuildable?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006, 10:48 PM

I believe all 1956 Chevy V8s were 265 ci. And I think the small carburetor was a two (not one) barrel. For the most part, parts that would work on a '57 and later 283 would work on the 265. I think the pistons might be the only non-interchangeable parts. But, '55 265 ci engines had a different camshaft bearing configuration at the rear cam bearing, and using a late model cam in a '55 motor was catastrophic. Memory says it failed to feed oil to the mains and rod bearings through the crankshaft. So, just in the event you have a very early '56, use caution when replacing cam bearings and/or a camshaft.

Pat
Old 04-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

56 chevy original engine value

Your V8 is a 265 cubic inch engine. It will only make your car more valuable if you do a perfect complete restoration. Even then unless your car is a very very low mileage car the cost to restore it will be much greater than the value of it after it is finished. The value of all cars is in the condition, the desirability and the rarity of it. Four door cars are not as desirable as all the other models of that year. As well they were produced in much greater numbers than all other models. I would not worry about a concurs restoration of this car but fix it up the way you want to, have fun doing it and have fun driving it. The 265 can make some power but it will cost you quite a bit of money. You would be better off finding a 350 and using it as they can be found cheaply and will probably make as much horsepower stock as your 265. If your 265 is in good shape you can use it as is. If you want to add some bolt on speed equipment most of it will be usable in the future on a 350 - when the 265 gets tired and needs a rebuild. Good luck with your project, those 56 Chevys are nice cars.

Last edited by home brew; 04-17-2006 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 04-18-2006, 05:38 AM
Last photo:

As stated, the 4 door is valued far less than a 2door hardtop or sedan. I have seen almost perfect 4 door 55-57 restorations or originals go for $10K or less while a 2 door 55-57 restoration will go $35K and higher. 4 door 55-57 Chevy's are good for parts IMO. To sink a huge amount of money in one is not advised, unless you are going to keep the car forever. In that instance I would opt for a 350 vs the 265, a 350 is not going to affect the value of the car hardly at all.

Vince

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.