56 chevy PU /Suburban clip? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2003, 02:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 56 chevy PU /Suburban clip?

Hi Guys,
I'm new, have a chevy 56 pickup. want to upgrade the front suspension. the roads where I live are unpredictable. Have access to chevy suburban IFS, the kind with the rubberless A-arm bushings, using grease zerks. can anyone tell me if this would give me a good ride and tracking ability close to or like the mustang ll ifs? NEED ADVICE!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2003, 06:08 PM

I think the track width is a bit wide on those. Think it out before you buck your frame in half. If I were you I'd go for the donor Mustang II or a volare, with these your front end will bolt back on normally. I put a volare in this and it handled like a go-cart and stopped on a dime.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

Cool

Definately check the track width, if that works it's almost a bolt in operation as they unbolt from the donor truck, make sure to get the steering box and drag link and get the mesurements to mount the box from the original truck.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

My 57 sits on a 67'and 78' chevy hybred frame. Yes the track width is a bit wide. Mine sits a bit high so tire clearance is not a problem. However, I plan on having custom wheels made so I can drop it. If you ran skinnies up front you could make it work with off the shelf wheels. Here is a pic of mine.

Wow that is tiny. You can see it in my photo album.

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: TurboS10 ]</p>
Old 02-13-2003, 10:57 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks magster, jalopy and turbo...

The control arms would come from the suburban but there's a plan to use another frame where the width would be right. Does anyone know if there is a cross member that could be had to adapt the suburban's control arms to the original frame of the 56' without having to chop it in half? would this correct the "too wide" problem?
Old 02-14-2003, 05:18 AM

Pilipino Caba?
The frame's width is not the issue, the front clip is. You say that the roads are unpredicable which tells me that you're not planning on lowering your truck. If so, then you can mount your trucks cab and bed on the Suburban's chassis and running gear. You'll need to fabricate and weld cab mounts and may have to shorten the length of the frame. But it's all do able. I've mounted a '57 cab on a '77 1 ton dually chassis. Here's pics of it: <a href="http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1184251&uid=687113" target="_blank">http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1184251&uid=687113</a>

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

[quote]Originally posted by truckmania:
<strong>Thanks magster, jalopy and turbo...

The control arms would come from the suburban but there's a plan to use another frame where the width would be right. Does anyone know if there is a cross member that could be had to adapt the suburban's control arms to the original frame of the 56' without having to chop it in half? would this correct the "too wide" problem? </strong><hr></blockquote>

You need to use the original surburan crossmember. It bolts on as an entire unit. It could be cut down from the center to mix the width

Chris
Old 02-14-2003, 07:49 AM

I'm getting the idea. Thanks. What is the end to end width of a Mustang ll IFS installed on a truck such as the 56'? I don't want to cut the frame for future upgradeability. The suburban's parts are the A-arms without the crossmember. Will try and see if thats still around.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

Cool

To use the suburban a-arms without the crossmember would be more work than I or anybody I know would want to do. I think your best bet may be a MII unit, I run one in a '45 Ford PU and have had no problems to speak of. Call the suppliers and you can get a weld in or bolt in unot to fit your truck and maintain your frames structual integrity. If you still want to use the a-arms find a pickup 73-87, with a crossmember and use that. I see lots of them in alleys and fields around the country.

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: jalopy45 ]</p>
Old 02-16-2003, 06:04 AM
3rdmember

Last photo:

manila?
wonder how much it'd be to ship a crossmember there?
i've got one out of a68-69 chevy pu,should be close and then you could narrow it.
btw, you'll have to narrow the center link also but that's no big deal, i've been running a narrowed center link in my coe for 47K miles with no problems at all..

question; will fabrication be a problem over there?
if so, we COULD talk about what needs to be done and have it narrowed over here.
just a suggestion....
Old 02-16-2003, 01:41 PM

Cool

Again, thanks guys for your info. I'm getting closer to figuring out what this project needs. I still need to know, though, what it is about the Mustang ll IFS thats got everyone making and installing them on their rides. Is it steering geometry? Inboard stance? The suburban A-arm idea was from a friend of mine who happens to have one sitting around. The work may be involved, but I imagine it can be done here. I would rather have the better set up if that means the Mustang ll. But at this point, not having driven a truck like ours with a Mll leaves me guessing. I see the bolt-on weld-on units for sale in the mags but am clueless as to the reasons why everyone seems to be going this way. This is where I need your help.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:39 PM

The Mustang II is a nice compact suspension package that'll fit almost anything. The bump steer, disc size, spindle variations, parts availability, adjustability etc. are all hard to beat. The original ford suspension was designed for a 3000(ish) pound car (same ones on Pintos and Bobcats) so I wouldn't use it on your truck. The aftermarket versions are strong and very easy to install but they're expensive. The steering is controlled with a nice compact rack which is a bonus because steering boxes often get in the way. I picked up a '57 GMC recently and I'm going with the volare again, I like how they ride and handle... ever notice what's under a lot of the new cars and trucks these days? Yep, torsion bars.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:23 PM

Talking

Thanks magster.I've heard about the volare clip. Its been in the mags for a few years now. I haven't checked on the availability of the volare clip over here. I've heard good things tho.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:24 PM

Talking

Thanks magster.I've heard about the volare clip. Its been in the mags for a few years now. I haven't checked on the availability of the volare clip over here. I've heard good things tho.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:16 AM

Talking

Thanks tomslik, you feel a crossmember out of a 68 pu is the right width? According to what was measured on the truck I have here, the frame's width comes out to 61 inches. How wide is the crossmember you talk about? I appreciate the offer to go through the trouble of shipping one over here, and that may be in the cards. I understand that NO LIMIT suspensions makes a crossmember that uses wider A-arms out of Camaros. I'm trying to get in touch with them to see if they offer just the crossmember. I know that there are junkyard A-arms around here. Since the roads here are not as well built as the ones in the states, I have to be careful what suspension is put on the truck..

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.