Hot Rod Forum banner

56 chevy truck from 2 to 4 wheel

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ogre 
#1 ·
I have a stock 56 chevy truck 2 wheel drive , needs some work. but im going to make 4x4, has stock straight 6 and a 4 speed . i want to put a 4x4 set up out of a newer chevy like early 80s or late 70 modle. 350 motor an turbotrans transfer case and and axles and leaf springs .all out of the same truck, now this is what im wondering is there a truck or a truck out there that will work the best for this build , would like the info if any body has it thanks

#2 ·
Cheapest and EASY way is to find a k5 blazer and put your body on the Blazer frame ,no front end geometry to worry with no drive shaft exaust or brake lines to cot and replace,, same motor trans in blazer, Simple change over .
The best I remember this is on a STOCK Unmodified 2 door 85 or 86 Blazer frame and runnin gear ,

Attachments

#5 ·
Looks fine to me and if one must there are a lot of threads and info on how to stretch the fenders to cover the wheels if needed.. I put a 58 cab on a 4wd suburban chassis at one time which turned out well..Of course we did a flatbed as we wanted to haul hay and cattle feed with it. Used a surplus Government rig for the chassis... Had the full floating 8 stud axles and was a 1 ton chassis,, We were not so concerened as to looks as we were about working for what we needed..

sam

#6 ·
The thing w/ the '70s-'80s GM stuff into an older truck (seems to be a popular subject these days) is just the width, you have to be OK with the extra. Often for something that's going to get fat tires that would stick out anyway, it does work visually.

I've done this but once, and I wanted an original-type appearance so the GM stuff was out. An International 3/4-ton was narrower and a better fit. Frame rails are a standard width apart so any engine will fit.

Note this is not from a Scout which is narrower yet. I had to take a foot or so length out of the frame and of-course you gotta make brackets no matter what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.