56 chevy truck frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 03:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

56 chevy truck frame

Hello, I am at the point where my I have my body off my frame. The frame is a roller now and ready to go to the sand blaster and then get power coated however I want to make certain that I don't get ahead of myself and find out I should have done some things prior to this step. I need advice by someone who knows and has done this. I would like to have powr steering, front disc brakes, smooth suspension (without chopping the frame up) also maybe swap the original 3/4 ton rear end out for a 12 bolt or? my question is what frame mods if any should I expect to do? do I need to weld any types of perches or anything or could I get the original frame sand blasted and powder coated ho it is stock and go from there? I am looking for the better way to do this without going broke ofcourse.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

First off, I'm not a fan of powder-coating.
Why? Because you can't "touch it up" if you happen to scratch it up during assembly, or later ... and more likely ... if you get a bit of "gravel rash".

I'm using a (2K) polyurethane paint called Endura EX-2C which is used on highway tractors, aircraft, and oilfield equipment in this area.

It's very tough ... stands up very well to abrasion.

As to the steering and brake questions, Classic Performance Parts is a great source, which I have ordered from a couple of times already.

Here is a $119.00 kit that adapts a common Chevy 1/2 ton steering box (stay under the 1981 model year if you want to use standard 45 SAE flare fittings)

They've got your brake and suspension stuff, too.

Other sources that come to mind:
LMC Truck
Brothers Truck Parts
Old 05-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

Good insight-thanks alot!

This is good knowledge, thanks for this. I think I will not go the powdercoating route afterall, that will allow touch ups, add ons and so on with relative ease. Also thank you for those links, they will soon become very useful as this proccess unfolds. Thanks again!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

endura

just want to caution on the use of endura. it is awesome stuff but make sure you use a repsirator even if you are outside upwind. there is a lot of isocyanates in that stuff and they are really nasty on the lungs etc.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.