Hot Rod Forum banner

56 chevy truck frame swap

14K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  youngc0@mchsi.com 
#1 ·
I have a 56 chevy 1/2 ton short bed stepside truck. Can i use the frame from a 73+ chevy truck?
What else would i have to do beside change the cab mounts? How long is the frame? Has anyone done this swap? I herd that my bed wouldnt mount because the newer frame has a hump towards the back.
Any info will be greatly appericated . Thanks

#2 ·
I dont think the 73 up will work, but the 67-72 will. It will also accept the lateer model cross member for power disk brakes and power steering. The bed will bolt on with no mods except extending the frame about 2 inches in the back. You will have to make or modify the 56 cab mounts. They have to be raised about 5 inches on the frame since the late model frames have dip in the middle of them and the 56 does not. The radiator support mounts will just have to be fabricated, but it is easy because there is just a two inch gap to fill between the mount and the frame. Steering will require U-joints and a modified or later model column, and you will have to figure out somthing to do with your pedals.

Oh ya, I did this about 10 years ago on a 57. There is a pic in my photo albumn.

Chris

#3 ·
yes the cab mounts will be like 5 inches higher and if you look at his picture (nice truck btw) you will see it's up there. you wont be able to drop it into the weeds with a frame that has that stupid hump in the front. most guys are using s-10 frames so i guess they dont have humps. i used a 79 frame but since it was a 4x i wanted the hgt for 33+" tires. case yer still wondering my box is right on the frame at the rear and about 2 inches off the frame at the front. rear cab mounts are like 3" above the frame (stock are even with), front of cab are like 5" and under the radiator support is 4". like a stinkin roller coaster. plus i used a long bed frame and had to cut 8" out of it. also chopped off 3" from the front of the frame

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.