Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 56 Ford F100 to a S10 Chassis?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Junior sixty six, let me make this clarification, I never said that the person who does a frame swap was a "looser". That is what it sounds like in your response "looser way out". I in no way meant that (though I can be jerk enough to say something like that, I didn't this time. ) I said and meant that it was a "looser" job as in you "can't make time", "can't make money" looser.

Sure, I can see that for certain guys it may be the "bestest" way to go. I just see it as a "money saver" or "easy way out" for a lot of guys and that isn't usually the case. You don't need to spend $1,500 on a front end, a $200.00 frame clip and a pair of new leaf springs will do the job.

Most guys will check the wheel base and think they have it. There is MUCH, MUCH more than that. A 56 F-100 for instance has a strangely large front overhang. The motor needs to be much further forward than a lot of cars, that could throw you off. I have seen a number of frame swaps, they usually look like a frame swap. The biggest compliment someone can give you is "that looked easy". Most frame swaps looked hard, because they are "tacky". I am sure with the time you could do a real nice swap and make for a super nice ride. That just isn't usually the case.

Brian