56 ford ignition wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Nate

Wiki Edits: 0

56 ford ignition wiring

I am rewiring my 1956 Mercury (Ford) M-100. I have already bought a new after market, GM style harness and have most of the under hood wiring done. When I went to wire the remote ford solenoid, I followed the original wiring schematic, but I am confused by the actual operation of the solenoid and whether it is correctly wired. I don't want to put power to it and have something blow up!!

I have made the following connections:

1) Battery to solenoid
2) Solenoid to starter
3) Start wire from ignition switch to "S" terminal on solenoid
4) Ignition wire from COIL SIDE OF COIL RESISTOR (coil pos+)to "I" terminal of solenoid.

My question is: in step 4 the schematic shows the ignition wire going to the coil side of the resistor. Is this correct or should it go to the input side of the resistor? What is the reason for this wire?

Also, for information sake, How exactly does this solenoid work. I like to know why as well as how to solve my problems.

Thanks allot. This is my first post, and hopefully not my last. I've learned allot just reading here.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

When you energize the solenoid, you close the contacts between the big wire from the battery and the big wire going to the starter. Why are you using a GM style harness?

If it has a GM starter, you will have to energize the GM solenoid on the starter also. or the starter won't operate.

Budget RVs
Old 03-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Nate

Perhapse "GM style harness" was misleading. Aside from the color code wires and some connections, It is a universal aftermarket harness.

This merc is stock restoration, and so is very simple to wire so far (knock on wood). Because it is a stock ford, it uses the separate solenoid on the firewall to engage the starter. My confusion comes in when connecting the "ignition" wire from solenoid to coil power. Does this wire need to be connected to the input (full 12V) side of the coil resistor or the output (less than 12V) side.

Because this is points type ignition, I understand the need for the resistor. The only thing I am confused about is why is this "ignition" wire needed and second, does it need 12V or less than 12V.

I hope this is as clear as mud now. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:41 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

Quote:
4) Ignition wire from COIL SIDE OF COIL RESISTOR (coil pos+)to "I" terminal of solenoid.

My question is: in step 4 the schematic shows the ignition wire going to the coil side of the resistor. Is this correct or should it go to the input side of the resistor? What is the reason for this wire?
This circuit bypasses the ignition circuit resistor while starting.

When you turn the key to start, the ignition switch sends current to the starter solenoid ("S") to close the circuit between the battery and the starter motor. It also momentarily energizes the ("I") terminal to supply battery voltage (12V + ) to the coil for easy starting.

When you release the ignition switch, the starting circuit opens again and there is no battery current supplied to the ("I") terminal. The coil then draws it's voltage via the resistor (9V) to prevent point burnout.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Nate

Thanks for all your help guys. It now makes scense. I'm glad I could get such a definite answer so quickly.

You guys rock, I hope one day I can repay someone else here with some of my knowledge.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.